2019 U.S. Nationals Senior Men FS | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2019 U.S. Nationals Senior Men FS

frida80

Record Breaker
So world team: Nathan, Vincent, Jason
4CC: Vincent, Jason, Tomoki (????)
JW: Tomoki...

Ok that one is hard.

I think it could be Alexsei and Andrew. But it also could include Camden despite his melt down. I really don't know.

But some alternates include Ryan and Dinh.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
If clean, I think the only one who can challenge Nathan is Yuzuru.

Flawed Nathan beat flawed Shoma at GPF and it wasn’t *that* close.

OutsideEdge

Rinkside
It's such an interesting exercise to try to figure out who wins in a theoretical competition where Yuzuru, Shoma and Nathan all skate clean programs. Good arguments can be made each way. As someone who adores all three of them, I think a clean program still puts Yuzuru on top. If he doesn't get his 4Lo or 4Lz back that does make it a little tougher, though. I think at this point, a clean Nathan should probably edge out a clean Shoma. Nathan's artistry has improved to the point that I think the superior quality of his jumps probably closes the gaps here. That said, I don't think we've seen what Shoma is really capable of this season, so who knows.

All I really know is I want to see it happen. If not perfect, I'd just love to see the three of them healthy and on their games at Worlds. It would just be so good.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker

Ok that one is hard.

I think it could be Alexsei and Andrew. But it also could include Camden despite his melt down. I really don't know.

Wouldn't Nathan go to 4CC as well as worlds?

Maybe for Junior Worlds they'll do the skate-offs like for the ladies spots too.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Ok, Nathan is my baby hardcore but can we slow down on the beating Yuzu thing?

I'm not saying he can't but please remember everything Yuzu brings to the table. It's the butter jumps and the transitions before and after. It's the musicality and the flow over the ice. Having the judges overlook those things would not be a good thing because I want Nathan to continue to grow.

Just my two cents :slink:
I'm with you. I think Yuzu is closer to Jason in how he is so choreographed throughout. The first little bit of Nathan's program today was still skating jump to jump. His artistry has certainly grown and he is developing a style all his own. I look forward to him continuing to develop that. I would like to see him get to where he can lay down today's content AND have the detailed and nuanced 'ography that Jason has - in his own Nathan style. I think he's heading that way. Yuzu can push him to that.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wouldn't Nathan go to 4CC as well as worlds?

Maybe for Junior Worlds they'll do the skate-offs like for the ladies spots too.

Nathan has hinted fairly strongly that he wouldn't welcome an invite to 4CC. I think he'd like to focus on Yale and World's.

I imagine the spot is his if he lets the selection committee know he's changed his mind.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Kind of odd that this long after the competition has ended, the official scoring page is still saying "unofficial" and the protocols haven't been posted. Normally it's finalized within 30-60 minutes after the last skater is scored. Nobody's heard of any protests have they? Or is somebody at USFS just sleeping at the switch?

lzxnl

Final Flight
It's such an interesting exercise to try to figure out who wins in a theoretical competition where Yuzuru, Shoma and Nathan all skate clean programs. Good arguments can be made each way. As someone who adores all three of them, I think a clean program still puts Yuzuru on top. If he doesn't get his 4Lo or 4Lz back that does make it a little tougher, though. I think at this point, a clean Nathan should probably edge out a clean Shoma. Nathan's artistry has improved to the point that I think the superior quality of his jumps probably closes the gaps here. That said, I don't think we've seen what Shoma is really capable of this season, so who knows.

All I really know is I want to see it happen. If not perfect, I'd just love to see the three of them healthy and on their games at Worlds. It would just be so good.

I personally can't imagine Shoma skating perfectly clean. His jump technique just irks me and some of his failed jumps have looked really bad (read: crashing into barriers or downgraded landings). Perhaps 4CC is a chance for him to prove me wrong.

I would put my money on Nathan beating Yuzu at Worlds, despite being a Yuzu fan, because Nathan seems more consistent with his jumps and Yuzu still has question marks over his 4Lo.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight

Ok that one is hard.

I feel like they could just give Alexsei 4CC and then give JW to Tomoki, Andrew and Camden

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sounds like a logical solution. But when has USFS ever used logic?

I wouldn't give Alexei 4CC over Tomoki unless Tomoki declines. I don't believe in spreading the wealth :shrug: Camden really needs to learn how to control his nerves, this is not his first meltdown. Last JrW spot should be between Andrew and Camden. Tomoki and Alexei can get the other two.

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Ok, Nathan is my baby hardcore but can we slow down on the beating Yuzu thing?

I'm not saying he can't but please remember everything Yuzu brings to the table. It's the butter jumps and the transitions before and after. It's the musicality and the flow over the ice. Having the judges overlook those things would not be a good thing because I want Nathan to continue to grow.

Just my two cents :slink:

Well, let's not forget that in the LP at the last Olympics, Nathan received 1st place scores (by a substantial margin) from every judge except one: and that judge was from China and gave 1st place to Boyang.

For the record, Yuzu's placements from the judges were: 2 5 2 2 2 2 3 2 3

Yes, Yuzu made two mistakes (no falls), but Nathan stepped out of a jump as well.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Ok that one is hard.

And Tomoki gets 4CC :yahoo:

Tomoki, Alexei, Andrew, Camden, Ryan and Dinh will go to JW Camp and the team will be decided then.

Source: https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/1089696436189577217

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do they usually do a World Juniors Camp? Is this basically a skate off to determine who goes?

They did a camp last year and I think the year prior, but I think the teams were announced after nationals. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Watching the men now, and following this thread as I go.

I'll be "in the present" as soon as I catch up!

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Appropos of nothing, I have been wanting to get this off my chest for the entire Nationals--that yellow-and-red "Ollies Bargain Outlet" sign on the rink perimeter is really distracting and has been bugging me for the last 3 days. Every time the camera follows the skater with that sign in the background, my eyes involuntarily stray from the skater. Grrr.

Not as bad as the foot ad from the Grand Prix event. LOL