2019 US Nationals Senior Men's SP | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2019 US Nationals Senior Men's SP

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I had three wishes:

Jason slays. Check. :clap:

Sean slays. Check.:clap:

Andrew T. slays :sad21:

( but I will not abandon my boy, please slay with Roxanne:pray:)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Good skates for the top 3. The judges gave Jason everything they could and then some. Nathan, Jason and Vincent really have huge leads and the other men don't have the ammunition really to come ack from like a 15 pt or more deficit but ice is slippery.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel like Vincent should just retract his landing gear aka toe pick and see if he gets around that small amount that is making us all crazy.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
FYI, best international PCS in the SP this season vs what they got here:

Nathan - 44.64 / 48.37 (+2.73)
Jason - 45.75 / 47.76 (+2.02)
Vincent - 39.60 / 43.85 (+4.25)

Tomoki - 35.70 (S) / 40.03 (+4.33)
Alex K. - 35.40 / 37.96 (+2.56)
Timothy - 36.10 / 39.83 (+3.73)
Camden - 37.44 / 38.85 (+1.41)

Andrew - 35.35 (J) / 40.57 (+5.22)

There probably should be a bigger gap between Jason and Vincent in PCS, though I'll say this is Vincent's best SP performance.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
/Yes, there is national inflatioin and we just need to accept it. Especially in the US but Canada and Russia.
You can't copare scores at all. if you tried for example someone like former skater Patrick Chan versus Brown. Chan should win if both skated well or their best pcs but he has the edge technically as well because he is a decent spinner but he had harder jumps if landed. Jason's scorea are huge without 2 or even 1 quad. I lilove Brow;s skating but he gets a lot of credit witoout a quad. His pcs should be higher than Chen's.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Does anybody besides me feel like there was an empty hole in the Men's competition....as in, with no Adam, Max, Ross, and Grant, it was like we were missing an entire warm-up group? :cry:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does anybody besides me feel like there was an empty hole in the Men's competition....as in, with no Adam, Max, Ross, and Grant, it was like we were missing an entire warm-up group? :cry:

It was noticeable. Not so much with the top 3. But it opens opportunities. Tim is in 6th and Sean in 7th. The retired skaters are the difference. Very happy about Sean's skate! On to the free to see where everyone lands!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Can I look now?

Oh Jason.:hap57:

Ladies and gentlemen, *that* is figure skating :luv17:

Jason was perfect and polished. I thought that 96 was all that program had in it, but even with Nationals inflation, that was well worth more. Everything was performed beautifully. All three top skaters skated really well. Yes, they probably inflated Vince a little. But his skating is much improved. There was one jump that probably should have been called UR, but it's up to the tech spec and the jump wasn't called. Nathan was brilliant. And yes, slightly over-scored. But the placements would not be different. It just puts more pressure on Jason and Vince in the free. And maybe they want to see who can respond better. I'm also guessing that Jason might go for the quad in the free. Podium position is not an issue for him. He's well ahead of 4th place. It's a risk, but this is probably the time to take the risk. He's got a 50% chance of making it. Maybe a little better. I guess they'll decide in the morning. I am so happy that his short is becoming really consistent.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Can I look now?

Oh Jason.:hap57:

Ladies and gentlemen, *that* is figure skating :luv17:

I'm totally here for the commentary because I was too afraid to watch it on the DVR until I knew the results! Nathan is good, but I LOVE me some Jason Brown. Now I can safely go watch without terrifying the cat...

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
i had to go to sleep after european men's fs and i didn't know us men's sp would be so early in pst argh... going to slowly watch videos of my faves. only watched nathan's for now, and i am very delighted he nailed his jumps (though that 3a isn't nearly as pizazz as in skate america) but i'm MAD he changed his costume to another vera-esque bland jumpsuit... and he was skating much more reserved than usual. i demand FUN caravan or no caravan at all!!! :drama:

GGFan

Record Breaker
I was finally able to watch the final group. Thoughts:

1. Tim: Smart of Tim to give us some Paul Martini. That athletic body :luv17: I wish he didn't make the mistakes because he skates beautifully! :clap:

2 Jason: Utterly mesmerizing! :bow: Pure Quality. My favorite short program of his! Even the combo seemed to have extra spring. He deserved every single point of GOE and PCS. :hap93:

3. Vincent: I still see a lot of ice flying on those jumps and I don't think he'll get the benefit of the doubt internationally. Having said that I think he was more in tune with the music and more expressive.

4. Tomoki: Good for him. I'm tired of Buble and I didn't care for the telegraphing but he's pleasant and he pulled off a nice Bielmann.

5. Andrew: Very polished for a 17 year old. Beautiful footwork and turns! Want to see more of him in the future :clap:

GGFan

Record Breaker
i had to go to sleep after european men's fs and i didn't know us men's sp would be so early in pst argh... going to slowly watch videos of my faves. only watched nathan's for now, and i am very delighted he nailed his jumps (though that 3a isn't nearly as pizazz as in skate america) but i'm MAD he changed his costume to another vera-esque bland jumpsuit... and he was skating much more reserved than usual. i demand FUN caravan or no caravan at all!!! :drama:

Thank you so much! Nathan is baby but comparing the program to what it was over the summer to now--the wild, fun, spontaneous feeling is gone. I'm glad we got to see the original version

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

So true. Even with a world champion in Chen and the perosnality and love of Brown there seems to be a void but that is all disciplines. It is the year after the olympics. We have no determinative/dominant lady, pair team. Dance is status quo. It is a bit of a flat year and it happens. But it is happening in a lot of countries.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Jason truly adds another level of valuing skating as a whole experience for me - one of very few skaters from ALL disciplines I truly enjoy watching just skating around, interacting with music and perform. The quality he adds to every little move he makes is so strong yet understated, but it makes you just feel so...I don't know, satisfied? 'Sated' with what your eyes just saw? He certainly makes skating a muli-dimensional experience, rich one, developing one, never static. The sleekness he has, nuance, sharpness to every little transition, the finish by his hand or head just compliments choreography, music so much. And I love composed, focused yet relaxed and sensual expression.

It is incredibly satisfying to see him starting to bear fruits of his decision to move forward and change environment. He grew for me into a skater more self-assured about his qualities and how to develop them further, how to use them better; he also challenged himself with different image we used to associate him with and with less exuberant reactions maybe, saving that conserved energy more, still charming and affectionate, mostly towards skating & interacting through it with as many people as possible. I think this is his biggest strenght - he really has a way to get to people, intrigue them, wanting them to get to know him better, to understand his skating philosophy.