2019 World Championships Free Dance | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2019 World Championships Free Dance

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
As soon as I saw C/B's placement in the Skating Order, I immediately thought they would not make it. Politics is playing a big part in Ice Dance. But I expected this outcome after seeing who's in the Judging/Technical Panel. I love P/C but they are consistently overscored. Geez, they're like the untouchables - the judges adore and revere them so much. I am so sick of ice-dancing politics.

Starting order has nothing to do with politics tho When teams are close quality wise like 2nd-8th teams here are, some other detals like that can decide the medalist... Those teams who finished on the podium deseved that, but it would be also fine if C/B were there

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I am pretty astounded by scoring again (not even about placements, because such country configuration was expected and politics are alive in ID) and don't know if I will write more, but popping to say that I enjoyed penultimate group MUCH more in terms of performances, variety of expression and repetoire. All these programs were different from each other and it was way easier for me to get out the image of a team and my pros & cons over each one. I am not the biggest fan of Alexanda/Ivan and that FD, but boy, did they shook up the atmosphere on this final group... Not my kind of expression, but it punched, dared you to watch them, to see how they perform, this time 'in-your-face' really save the day in my opinion, it brought different kind of elecrifying energy in competition. I understand allure of lyricism/classical/contemporary aesthetic, but too much is an overkill, no joke.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
On the topic of Musicals for next season's RD, I will stop watching ID for that season if two or more teams pick La La Land :dev2: Also, I will stan the team who has the guts to use Rocky Horror Picture Show no matter what :laugh:

Oh, and +5 GOE for the team that uses my favourite number from Avenue Q https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJvdGcb7Fs

but the man must wear corset and suspenders, i mean you can do rif-raf and magenta but what would be the point? go bold or go home :biggrin:

Astrid56

Final Flight
The new GOE has caused ice dancing judging to revert to the days of 6.0/bloc judging. The teams are attaining the levels too easily and the judges’ inflated GOE and PCS are fully selecting the winners. This podium could have been predicted in October, just like it was in the ‘90s.

I don’t know what the solution is but the skaters, fans and all involved deserve better because this is 6.0 v2.0.

This new method allows a judge to manipulate the outcome by giving high or low (highly subjective) GOEs (their cover for justifying their choices). In essence, prejudging or predetermining who they want to win becomes a likely or common consequence. As regards interpretation, ISU should hire someone who's an acknowledged expert of any musical genre or literary work who could put in their "2-cents" :sarcasm: to provide a more educated result. In ice-skating, dance movements/expressions often tend to be clichés mostly of the performers' or trainers' ... judges' understanding of the supposed subjects or themes. So expect scoring to be relative as well in that respect. Let me explain it this way, in the world of politics, it's about the 'narrative' - the truth is somewhere between how it sounds, how it purportedly appears (as shown in GOEs [the judges way of explaining the 'whys' of the outcome] ... and the messengers' (judges') desired intent/purpose/result (final score). :yes2:

Astrid56

Final Flight
Starting order has nothing to do with politics tho When teams are close quality wise like 2nd-8th teams here are, some other detals like that can decide the medalist... Those teams who finished on the podium deseved that, but it would be also fine if C/B were there

Since scores presumably determine or dictate the skating order, politics then play a part. Scores reflect the judges' biases ... preferences_ the other negative term for it is 'politics' (described as "opinions", "maneuvers"). :eek:hwell:

Lota

Record Breaker
They are on the up! We will see them in Beijing I’m sure of it!

After what happened to them with these Olympics, I'm not so sure :confused2: I'm still utterly confused at how this happened to them and there have been no repercussions or anything. How can you just ban someone from the Olympic Games (which for most athletes are a life goal), not disclose the reason to anyone, not even the athletes themselves, and just get away with that?!? It's just mind boggling :reye: At this point nobody talks about it anymore, most have probably forgotten this even happened. Who knows what'll happen in 2022? Either way, I just really wanted something good to happen to S/B and a medal after the Olympics heartbreak would have been perfect but, alas, it was not to be. Maybe next year.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I am so confused. I love Piper and Paul, and with this Starry night program they skate so well, why are they so low in the placement. Most of their elements, steps, lifts are gorgeous. What's wrong? I notice they get lower GOE, but I cant't understand the reason behind that.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I am so confused. I love Piper and Paul, and with this Starry night program they skate so well, why are they so low in the placement. Most of their elements, steps, lifts are gorgeous. What's wrong? I notice they get lower GOE, but I cant't understand the reason behind that.

I believe Piper made a mistake on one twizzle. They do often make small errors (same with Andrew Poje, but he didn't this time).

deedee1

Record Breaker
I am pretty astounded by scoring again (not even about placements, because such country configuration was expected and politics are alive in ID) and don't know if I will write more, but popping to say that I enjoyed penultimate group MUCH more in terms of performances, variety of expression and repetoire. All these programs were different from each other and it was way easier for me to get out the image of a team and my pros & cons over each one. I am not the biggest fan of Alexanda/Ivan and that FD, but boy, did they shook up the atmosphere on this final group... Not my kind of expression, but it punched, dared you to watch them, to see how they perform, this time 'in-your-face' really save the day in my opinion, it brought different kind of elecrifying energy in competition. I understand allure of lyricism/classical/contemporary aesthetic, but too much is an overkill, no joke.

Agreed. Forunately I watched the whole Rhythm Dance comp live from very high up, almost the center of short side (right from where judges sit). This couple was a very nice surprise for me. Step/Bukin hadn't been my cup of tea before this comp tbh, so I sit back to my seat and relaxed to save my energy a bit for Papa/Cize. But gosh, their RD had so much power and conviction, and they drew me into their performance completely, and at the end I stood up to appluade for them. To my non-expert eyes, the way they skated with dominance was the same level of Hubbe/Dono. Another couples who skated with same dominance and took my eyes during RD was Beaudrey/Sorensen and Guignard/Fabbri. This Italian couple, especially, was not big in physics compared to others but could skate really big. I wrote in RD thread already, Papa/Cize gave me goosebumps the whole time.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
I just finally got to watch the FD and this is probably not a popular opinion but I can’t say I’m that mad at the placements.

None of the top 3 had my favourite programmes but you can’t deny their quality. I’m pleased that S/K were ahead of H/D because eventhough it’s not my cup of tea, they had the better programme. H/D skated their dud of a programme with so much more emotion this time - that connection had been missing previously for me - and because of their SS I can see why they got bronze. P/C were simply divine as usual and their programme is beautiful, so of course they deserved the gold. I still wish they would try a bit of a different style - their RD was so good - I hadn’t enjoyed it much this year but they really owned that performance and brought the drama a tango needs. I actually clapped after watching it at home. To me they showed versatility in the RD and I wish they would bring more of that in their free dances because they are so good and could do it. It’s nice to see teams experiment with different styles because it keeps the surprise and makes them seem fresh (they are not the only couple who stick within the same genre - I would like Weapo to do something different next year too as their last few FDs, while lovely, have all been very similar).

S/B are my favourite and I think their programmes this year were so electric. They did so well to come in 4th and go above 3 teams that they were behind at last year’s worlds. I would have preferred to see them as well as Chock and Bates, whose programmes I also loved this season, on the podium over their compatriots, but judges seem to prefer SS over charisma and dynamics, which as this is a skating competition I can understand. But it does sometimes lead to the not-so-interesting programmes winning podium placements. I do feel bad for C/B as they have seemed so happy this year after all they have been through so it’s a shame they didn’t place higher.

It’s such a shame for P2 with the twizzle mistake as it knocked them off their game a wee bit. They were so relaxed at 4continents and the programme shone so much so it’s too bad that didn’t happen here in the same way, even though it was still a gem of a programme. I’m Canadian and l love the top Canadian couples so it’s quite frustrating that both teams sometimes struggle at big competitions. I don’t always feel the same confidence from them as I do other teams which is a shame as they are both so good.

I absolutely loved the Dandadians (I’m so pleased they are skating for Canada now) and Brits and can’t wait to see how they progress next year. FB/S have so much chemistry (I would def love to be in FB/S or S/B sandwich!) and F/G have so much charisma. Loved the Finns as well.

It’s been nice to see a renaissance in Russian ice dance this season as IMO it just makes the competition better. I know folk have issues with Nikita, but he is a wonderful skater and he seems to have matured a bit in his attitude, and Vika seems like such a sweetheart so props to them for continuing on after the last few shaky years and making such a comeback.

Im pleased Russia, Canada and US all of have three teams next year.

Overall I thought it was an exciting competition and season. I’m sad we have to wait another 5/6 months for new programmes!

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I've only just had time to go back and re-watch all of the FD without the nerves of watching competition live whilst barely awake (bring on Montreal 2020 time zone haha).

I still don't know how I feel about the placements or the way that the scoring was done, however, I've now watched the FD with Eurosport commentary and I also watched TSL's recap with Mark Hanretty (I find his perspective interesting, given his knowledge).

On W/P - I really hope that if they're staying another season that they bring some new moves to the table. During the BBC commentary, Penny Coomes commented on the fact that they use the same elements every year so the never seem fresh - and I totally agree. I don't know whar their motivation is to stay, but if it's to win medals I think that they need to really push their programmes. Also miraculously become good at twizzles. Did the judges have them ahead of C/B so that Canada could keep it's 3 spots?

On G/P - look, I love them I really do. But again with the motivation. I thought that what Mark Hanretty had to say was very interesting - that they are the type of team that he would hire in a second for shows if more professional shows was a viable option. I agree. Their creativity is what I love about them. But can they go further within competiotn, I'm not sure. Like TSL said, a national title would really help their post-competitive careers.

On C/B - ugh I love that FD. I'm really looking forward to them having a full season next year, with more momentum they can surely beat W/P if they have the programmes?

On H/D - I have hated their FD the entire season, but this version of it finally made sense to me. I still didn't love it, but it had a better story arc, more dramatic moments, and a much better impact. Even on screen their speed and power blew me away. I'd have them in silver with that tbh.

On S/B - This is another team that I really enjoy watching. I wish they'd make a coaching change, just to see if it would help bring out more of their potential (I don't see that ever happening though, I read somewhere that Zhuk and Svinin were some of the first people to meet Ivan at the hospital when he was born so...). Anyway, I liked this programme for them because it made them standout and played up their chemistry which is one of their best strengths, surely? Chris Howarth said that he thought it was a junior-ish programme with too many open holds, and that it wasn't difficult enough (I somewhat agree). He thinks that they have the potential to be great because they have the ability to do really difficult programmes, if they were only given them. I agree here. The only way to get on the world podium is to have sky-high GOE and so I hope that next year their material allows for that. Because if we must have a Russian team on the podium, I want them.

On S/K - I don't have much to say because I don't like him. I know personal feeling shouldn't impact an opinion on the skating but it does. I found their programme a bit uninspired and not all that memorable. Their speed and skills are really good though, and obviously that can't be taken away from them. But they just leave me a bit cold.

On P/C - I mean, of course, right? I love their flow across the ice and their skills are a level above everyone else. This programme was good and I did like it, but I wish they'd do something totally different. I only say this because they are SO good, so why not push yourself out of your comfort zone and create something entirely new with a different way of moving. They have the comfort of knowing that they are way ahead of the rest of the field, so surely that leaves them some breathing room in which they can experiment for a couple of seasons to find what else could work for them? Like I say, they are excellent, but if they're going to be world champions every year until 2022 then please, please, excite me. I don't want this to seem like I'm bashing them or saying that they aren't good, because I'm not, I just get a bit irritated because they have so much talent and abilty and I feel like it's sometimes not utilised like it could be.

Also - I think that one thing I would do if I was on the technical committee is limit GOE on the choreographic elements. So if they bring in -3 to +7 GOE (lol) then I would say that choreographic elements could only get a maximum of +3, because these elemts seem to be the difference in some placings and I don't think that they should be?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am a total idiot.

I have just spent 2 hours watching the World Feed stream with awful audio on the Eurosport Player. And now that I am into the partnerships that were shown on the TV highlights (and so am able to piece them together with the full coverage), I have only just remembered that the BBC showed the whole thing!

:bang: :bang: :bang:

I could have been watching their coverage with decent audio up to now! :drama: :bang:

And now that I have put it on, I have discovered that Penny and Nick were in the commentary box alongside Robin and Kat!!! :drama: :bang:

Right. Methinks I will have to go back and watch those 2 hours again at some stage before it expires.

CaroLiza_fan

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
On W/P - I really hope that if they're staying another season that they bring some new moves to the table. During the BBC commentary, Penny Coomes commented on the fact that they use the same elements every year so the never seem fresh - and I totally agree. I don't know whar their motivation is to stay, but if it's to win medals I think that they need to really push their programmes. Also miraculously become good at twizzles. Did the judges have them ahead of C/B so that Canada could keep it's 3 spots?

On G/P - look, I love them I really do. But again with the motivation. I thought that what Mark Hanretty had to say was very interesting - that they are the type of team that he would hire in a second for shows if more professional shows was a viable option. I agree. Their creativity is what I love about them. But can they go further within competiotn, I'm not sure. Like TSL said, a national title would really help their post-competitive careers.

On C/B - ugh I love that FD. I'm really looking forward to them having a full season next year, with more momentum they can surely beat W/P if they have the programmes?

On H/D - I have hated their FD the entire season, but this version of it finally made sense to me. I still didn't love it, but it had a better story arc, more dramatic moments, and a much better impact. Even on screen their speed and power blew me away. I'd have them in silver with that tbh.

On S/B - This is another team that I really enjoy watching. I wish they'd make a coaching change, just to see if it would help bring out more of their potential (I don't see that ever happening though, I read somewhere that Zhuk and Svinin were some of the first people to meet Ivan at the hospital when he was born so...). Anyway, I liked this programme for them because it made them standout and played up their chemistry which is one of their best strengths, surely? Chris Howarth said that he thought it was a junior-ish programme with too many open holds, and that it wasn't difficult enough (I somewhat agree). He thinks that they have the potential to be great because they have the ability to do really difficult programmes, if they were only given them. I agree here. The only way to get on the world podium is to have sky-high GOE and so I hope that next year their material allows for that. Because if we must have a Russian team on the podium, I want them.

On S/K - I don't have much to say because I don't like him. I know personal feeling shouldn't impact an opinion on the skating but it does. I found their programme a bit uninspired and not all that memorable. Their speed and skills are really good though, and obviously that can't be taken away from them. But they just leave me a bit cold.

On P/C - I mean, of course, right? I love their flow across the ice and their skills are a level above everyone else. This programme was good and I did like it, but I wish they'd do something totally different. I only say this because they are SO good, so why not push yourself out of your comfort zone and create something entirely new with a different way of moving. They have the comfort of knowing that they are way ahead of the rest of the field, so surely that leaves them some breathing room in which they can experiment for a couple of seasons to find what else could work for them? Like I say, they are excellent, but if they're going to be world champions every year until 2022 then please, please, excite me. I don't want this to seem like I'm bashing them or saying that they aren't good, because I'm not, I just get a bit irritated because they have so much talent and abilty and I feel like it's sometimes not utilised like it could be.

I also watched back the FD on BBC and Eurosport and I agree with most everything you say here.

I did wonder if the judges put W/P ahead of C/B so that Canada would get its three spots. I know us North Americans love to complain about judging controversies but I think both the US and Canada (and not just the Russians) have benefitted from different judging panels. The one thing judges have commented on for C/B at 4CC and worlds was their speed and ice coverage and it looks like W/P beat them on the second mark so that could have been the deciding factor. I thought C/B were razor sharp at 4CC and they were great at worlds but maybe not as sharp eventhough their programmes are still some of my favourites. It makes sense that they wouldn’t be as fast or have as much ice coverage given the lack of training time they’ve had because of Madi’s ankle. Watching it back it did seem to me maybe they didn’t have as much ice coverage as the top 5.

Totally agree about W/P - I fear they are becoming like Anna and Luca in their last few years where they just sort of recycled moves. I really hope they come up with something fresh and special if the decide to compete in Canada next year.

I re-watched S/B’s programme with Chris Howarth’s comments in mind and I do disagree with him slightly in that their programme was not that open - compared to H/D maybe yes, but lots of the top couples had open bits in their programme (G/F, W/P, S/K, G/P, C/B) so I think it’s a bit unfair to say it’s a juniorish programme. Penny Coomes said they are more raw and exciting and I choose to agree with that interpretation!

I really appreciate their programmes and C/B’s because they are different and exciting to the softer/lyrical approach most of the other teams are taking. Agree though with Chris that S/B could be pushing themselves even more - but at least this season was a start. A coaching change would be good for them but for the reasons you stated, I don’t think that will happen.

Your sentiments on H/D and P/C are pretty much what I thought as well. I do wish G/P would work on the intricacies of their programmes. Their programmes are always beautiful and innovative but I think to compete with the top teams they really need to push themselves with less open programmes. I appreciate the BV of all the top teams are pretty much the same but it is the intricacies and detail that push teams to the top, especially when the competition is so tight.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
P/C were simply divine as usual and their programme is beautiful, so of course they deserved the gold. I still wish they would try a bit of a different style - their RD was so good - I hadn’t enjoyed it much this year but they really owned that performance and brought the drama a tango needs. I actually clapped after watching it at home. To me they showed versatility in the RD and I wish they would bring more of that in their free dances because they are so good and could do it.

I would love to see Pap/Ciz work with Christopher Dean on next season's FD. He has brought out a different side to them in the past 2 season's SD/RD and I think he would really take them in a new direction for the FD, and particularly they, amongst all the couples out there, have the technical capabilities and flair to interpret his ideas.

I absolutely loved the Dandadians (I’m so pleased they are skating for Canada now) and Brits and can’t wait to see how they progress next year. FB/S have so much chemistry (I would def love to be in FB/S or S/B sandwich!) and F/G have so much charisma.

I found myself with a mixture of emotions, a) very proud at how the British couple skated but b) slightly disappointed they didn't move up further after the FD. Sara & Kirill did not skate well in their FD, with many bobbles and missteps, and IMO both Lauriault/LeGac and Fear/Gibson deserved to overtake them and the Poles. (Were it not for 2 Deductions for Extended Lifts, the French would've overtaken the Spanish Overall, instead they dropped behind the British). I was annoyed that the Judges lapsed into their default position of scoring Fear/Gibson low on PCS, preventing them from moving up to 11th overall. They were 11th in the FD - 9th in FD TES - but only 14th in PCS, so couldn't overtake the Spanish + Poles, & were 13th Overall. I would like to ask other fans what you think Lilah & Lewis need to do to improve their PCS next season? For Choreo/Composition & Interpretation I thought their Disco FD to be one of the best of the season, yet they didn't get the scores in PCS. They performed it well, and kept their energy and speed throughout the full 4 minutes. There was no GBR Judge/Official on the Panel, and I think it makes a difference.

It’s been nice to see a renaissance in Russian ice dance this season as IMO it just makes the competition better. I know folk have issues with Nikita, but he is a wonderful skater and he seems to have matured a bit in his attitude, and Vika seems like such a sweetheart so props to them for continuing on after the last few shaky years and making such a comeback.

I totally agree, and very humble in the Press Conferences. He has lost any arrogance he once had. In marked contrast to Hubbell/Donohue - "We made it our own win" said Zach in the FD Press Conference - as soon as I saw SinKats brilliant Tango RD at Nepela, I knew they would be challenging for medals.

I re-watched S/B’s programme with Chris Howarth’s comments in mind and I do disagree with him slightly in that their programme was not that open - compared to H/D maybe yes, but lots of the top couples had open bits in their programme (G/F, W/P, S/K, G/P, C/B) so I think it’s a bit unfair to say it’s a juniorish programme. Penny Coomes said they are more raw and exciting and I choose to agree with that interpretation!

I really appreciate their programmes and C/B’s because they are different and exciting to the softer/lyrical approach most of the other teams are taking. Agree though with Chris that S/B could be pushing themselves even more - but at least this season was a start. A coaching change would be good for them but for the reasons you stated, I don’t think that will happen.

As I've said here before, I wouldn't rely on Chris Howarth's opinions of Ice Dance.:confused: He is a Singles skater from the early 1980s, and has lived in Chicago for many years, so is very Pro American IMO. His commentary on Fear/Gibson at Europeans was an utter disgrace, and I will never forgive him. :disapp:

But I disagree with you about Stepanova/Bukin needing to change Coaches. I think Irina Zhuk/Alexander Svinnin are a great team, and I remember them winning European Silver in 1983. If you look at their couples in Juniors, Sofia Shevchenko/Igor Eremenko, they have had 2 dynamic FDs the past 2 seasons, very modern, almost Avant Garde. An outside choreographer is brought in, whose name escapes me, but is so imaginative. Likewise Anastasia Shpilevaya/Grigory Smirnov have been transformed as Seniors, from a cutesey, lovely programmed couple to a modern dynamic mature team, and, but for internal Russian Dance politics, would've been seen more widely this season, ie. the GPs and not Morosov's daughter. Yes, Stepanova/Bukin need to work on SS, but I think they can do that in their present camp. They improved Sofia's Skating Skills out of sight over 2 seasons.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
[\QUOTE] As I've said here before, I wouldn't rely on Chris Howarth's opinions of Ice Dance.:confused: He is a Singles skater from the early 1980s, and has lived in Chicago for many years, so is very Pro American IMO. His commentary on Fear/Gibson at Europeans was an utter disgrace, and I will never forgive him. :disapp:

But I disagree with you about Stepanova/Bukin needing to change Coaches. I think Irina Zhuk/Alexander Svinnin are a great team, and I remember them winning European Silver in 1983. If you look at their couples in Juniors, Sofia Shevchenko/Igor Eremenko, they have had 2 dynamic FDs the past 2 seasons, very modern, almost Avant Garde. An outside choreographer is brought in, whose name escapes me, but is so imaginative. Likewise Anastasia Shpilevaya/Grigory Smirnov have been transformed as Seniors, from a cutesey, lovely programmed couple to a modern dynamic mature team, and, but for internal Russian Dance politics, would've been seen more widely this season, ie. the GPs and not Morosov's daughter. Yes, Stepanova/Bukin need to work on SS, but I think they can do that in their present camp. They improved Sofia's Skating Skills out of sight over 2 seasons.[/QUOTE]

You make fair points here. He does seem very pro American - particularly for H/D. I can’t remember his comments for F/G at the Europeans! I’m going to have to watch that back. I also don’t understand the PCS for F/G because they had great interpretation and timing etc but the PCS mark has always alluded my understanding because judges just seem to apply it however they want.

I do like Zhuk and Svinnin but S/B have been with them for so long that I do wonder if a coaching change would do them good just to eek out whatever little issues are keeping them off the podium - but you are right - their junior teams are great and I loved S/B’s programmes this year - so they are bringing something to different to ID. I just hope they concentrate on S/B’s SS for next year to really give them a chance to get on the podium.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I can’t remember his comments for F/G at the Europeans! I’m going to have to watch that back.

I couldn't find it on YT (I uploaded the No Commentary version, so disgusted was I). Both Chris Howarth and Nicky Slater were so busy drooling over Olivia Smart, her hair, music and both thought her FD (Adrian didn't get a mention) was so fantastic, they barely noticed the Brits, whose country they were broadcasting to. They were underwhelmed, and neither commentator was in the least praiseworthy. Because the TES Graphics in the corner of the screen hadn't got up to date with their final elements, when they finished, Chris said, "Their Technical score is not up to the standard of the others in this group, as you can see". Even after the score came in and F/G finished 1st in that group, they both just remained silent, no celebration that the British couple are doing well, nothing, like they had no clue that Smart & Diaz had dropped after their FD in several competitions this season, and Fear & Gibson had moved up. :shocked:
It caused some discussion on Twitter and I made a complaint to BES. Come Worlds, they didn't even show Fear/Gibson in their reduced FD Highlights on TV, and on the Player the sound for the first 2 groups was so dreadful, there was a technical fault, it was unwatchable. Thank God we had the BBC coverage with Penny & Nick commentating, or else I would've been even more...:bang::hpull::shame::shock2::gaah: I really don't know why they're so unsupportive. On Twitter, Italian ES tweet about their skaters all the time and post videos, but BES don't care. :disapp:
Chris lives in America, Nicky lives in Canada, they have no knowledge or up to date info of current British Skaters whatsoever, yet they commentate on BES, most of whose audience are FS Fans watching in Britain, and a few are parents, club mates, friends of the skaters competing, and they sometimes don't even get shown.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
They used to be so supportive of the Kerr’s as well!

It a damned if they do damned if they don’t. I distinctly remember one posted complaining in the Ladies SP that they were talking to much about if Natasha McKay would qualify. I think sometimes people forget that BESP is made for a British audience and in fact only broadcasts here. I don’t want them to become totally impartial towards British skaters but a little support would go a long way. Especially considering that all these skaters families will be listening to them and usually them alone.

As for the highlights I don’t think British Eurosport is in control of who gets cut out. It is really annoying though.

Sorry for going off topic.

————

I think while S/B lost out today they are still neck and neck with S/K imo. I think a lot will depend on what programs they create next year.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I wa so disappointed with their commentary at Euros for Lilah and Lewis too - it just sounded careless and like they weren’t engaged with the performance at all? I really wish they’d had Mark Hanretty at Worlds because I find his input very knowledgable both with regards to technical aspects and of the skaters and their seasons/careers.