2021 Golden Spin of Zagreb: Men's Free Skate | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2021 Golden Spin of Zagreb: Men's Free Skate

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Mozalev gave much more effort to compose his programme across the ice rink for all the audience. All Ma's jumps were literally placed in the same place of the rink with the same patterns. Mozalev's COmposition was objectively better, being interpreted the way we like it or not. Where Ma was better was skating to the music rhythm.
That makes me want to see Mozalev live even more. Gonna hope his 252 is enough for one GP next year and that he gets our side of the pond. 🙏 And, oh, yeah, that the world holds off with ending etc

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mozalev gave much more effort to compose his programme across the ice rink for all the audience. All Ma's jumps were literally placed in the same place of the rink with the same patterns. Mozalev's COmposition was objectively better, being interpreted the way we like it or not. Where Ma was better was skating to the music rhythm.
Thank you. That explains why I could not remember what he skated to. For me, whenever a skater does not skate to the rhythm most of the time, for me, it as if anything could be playing.

It is one reason dance is my favorite event. I love to see skaters (and dancers) who make the music come even more alive, revealing new things in the music.

I hope Mozalev will improve in this respect in the future, and I will watch more carefully for his use of space, a virtue that is more easily appreciated live.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
For me, whenever a skater does not skate to the rhythm most of the time, for me, it as if anything could be playing.
It doesn’t mean that Mozalev doesn’t. Ma is just marginally better in that specific respect. Mozalev uses his arms significantly more and has stronger transitions, where Ma’s programs are emptier. If anything Ma reminds me Nguyen’s energy, but not as natural and engaging. Mozalev is not a party guy, he is more of a storyteller and thinker. I don’t get it why everyone has to be the same to be appreciated. Diversity is what makes world beautiful.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
I don’t get it why everyone has to be the same to be appreciated. Diversity is what makes world beautiful
Yes, 100 percent. Diversity is great. All skaters are impressive in their own way. The diversity in men's skating really made the men's SP at the Olympics a delight to see. So, many different styles and strengths but all worthy. I think the reason many skaters get criticism isn't because people can't see the value in diversity, but more because judges scores don't recognize that diversity.

For instance, is perfectly ok to give Mozalev decently high PCS scores in SS, TR, and composition and, at the same time, recognize that he still has work to do in musicality/ performance. It's perfectly ok to give Jimmy higher marks in interpretation and lower scores in the other categories.

It's perfectly acceptable to give a skater like Sasha Trusova or Boyang high GOE on their jumps ( which can be beautiful) without giving underserved scores in some PCS categories.

Basically what I'm saying is that diversity is great, and the judges need to recognize that by rewarding that diversity with correct marks that reward skaters for what they really do well. They tend not to....

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes, 100 percent. Diversity is great. All skaters are impressive in their own way. The diversity in men's skating really made the men's SP at the Olympics a delight to see. So, many different styles and strengths but all worthy. I think the reason many skaters get criticism isn't because people can't see the value in diversity, but more because judges scores don't recognize that diversity.

For instance, is perfectly ok to give Mozalev decently high PCS scores in SS, TR, and composition and, at the same time, recognize that he still has work to do in musicality/ performance. It's perfectly ok to give Jimmy higher marks in interpretation and lower scores in the other categories.

It's perfectly acceptable to give a skater like Sasha Trusova or Boyang high GOE on their jumps ( which can be beautiful) without giving underserved scores in some PCS categories.

Basically what I'm saying is that diversity is great, and the judges need to recognize that by rewarding that diversity with correct marks that reward skaters for what they really do well. They tend not to....
Well, interpretation is choreo sequence+ choreo, no? From all skaters I had heard interviewed, Mozalev is one of the best in saying specifically what his music choice means and what his character experiences throughout it. Like, compare Semenenko’s or Kondratyuk’s answers during their Eu interviews vs Mozalev— all three are the same age, all three are Rissian, and Mozalev is the most introverted. Kondratyuk says, the music is from a famous movie (which is supposed to be about Ottoman Rmpire but he is costumed and moves in some odd pseudo-Egyptian way) and that’s that. Semenenko says, this and that famous guy did my choreo. Mozalev said, I skate as a man with broken heart.

Like, people may not be on board for some reason with his arm movements, but they are present and are consistent with the theme/story of the guy whose heart breaks in the process. A lot of other skaters, even those who are scored higher than Mozalev, and are praised for artistic performance, keep their arms to the sides for the most part and only use them sparingly, during choreo sequence. So, okay, maybe less is more? Wouldn’t it be the matter of taste?

Is that what people don’t like? Finally, yes, I know, once he falls, he has problems catching up to the music. PE I agree, all his stills capture eyes looking anywhere, but at the audience and there is a difference when he skates relaxed during the gala and when he competes because he projects his understandable fear of falling on 4S now and the baggage of ‘nice try, what’s-your-name, you are just not good enough’ he is accumulating in Russia. I wish he had a chance to skate a bunch of shows, went to Plushenko, something… but I don’t think he has an option.

But tbh, I don’t see the same quality as in Nguyen when he comes out, snaps his fingers a couple of times, and everyone is with him, in Kondratyuk and Semenenko either, which is particularly obvious in their exhibition skates that are not engaging, though in Semenenko’s case it’s not for the lack of trying….

As for Ma, he is fun, but I saw them together in SkAm, and he felt less compelling/interesting than Nguyen. I personally find his manners (Ma’s) unpleasant and it cheapens his performance to me. Mozalev is at least different from the other guys of his age and appeals to my intelligence, at least via broadcast. I had never had a chance to see him live, and at this point, I fear I never will.

Sorry, right now is probably not the best time for me to talk about Mozalev, because I am still not in the Acceptance stage.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Russia needs its artists more than jumpers right now, IMO. It has been common for skaters to behave like all they need to improve scores is to perform jumps they cannot really do in competition. Scores can also be improved by being the very best at doing the jumps and other skills you are really good at! Or by giving the most impactful, engaging performances! I love Andre's connection to the stories and characters of his programs.

For me, he is the most interesting of the young Russian men.

May he keep faith and succeed!