2021 Golden Spin of Zagreb: Pairs Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2021 Golden Spin of Zagreb: Pairs Short Program

gold12345

Medalist
I'm not a person who hates all covers (actually I like many of them!), but this dark version of "Can't Help Falling in Love" is particularly tragic. So bad.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Beautiful skate from Anastasia and Daniil. Maybe the best and prettiest of the day so far, for me.

And that twist! Light as a feather!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
It’s going to take a long time for me to forgive Scott Moir for that program. What a wicked thing to do indeed.
And to think, I once believed that they would be the Next Big Thing in US ice dance. The talent. The coaching team. The irresistible back story, with him being the son of ice dance immortals!

Silly me.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting result, was not expecting the Georgian teams to challenge the North Americans. Rough outing for J/R - that botched twist cost them quite a bit. I like watching them skate together but that "Shiny Happy People" depressing cover doesn't do it for me. At least MT/M and W/R can say they finished ahead of them in this SP - it seems they have gotten their confidence rattled by the hype around Eric/Vanessa.

And Amen to everyone who said this event had terrible covers throughout.

Happy for Audrey and Misha almost tying with Alexa and Brandon - although I'm not a fan of their Toxic/Survivor program music or costumes. They have been stealthily improving with clean programs on the GP and starting to see their PCS climb. It's really a four way race for 2 Olympic spots. I think Jessica and Brian have been competing too much after not being able to compete at all since last Spring. Aside from their twist and lifts, the rest is kind of lackluster.

There is a lot of drama and inter-country competition in this discipline (out of all for Zagreb) and I'm here for it!

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well...just finished watching the Pairs SP, and I'm a tad disappointed. It was a bit underwhelming, all skaters seemed to be tired? I missed the speed usually present in Pairs programmes, but that could be just me (although I saw some other posters remarking on it). Still, with 17 couples there are prone to be some highlights, and their were.

Hurrah Australia. Three (!) pairs. Not the best perhaps in this crowd, but still. Great to have so much talent coming up from down under.
Hurrah Finland. I've seen them before (at Finlandia), but they seemed to be so happy with their skate. Made me happy too.
Hurrah Georgia. Two pairs in the top 4. On the rise!
Hurrah USA. Two pairs in the top 4. Not their best skates perhaps, but well done!
Hurrah Croatia. Best skate from Lana and Antonio in a long time.
New talent from Italy. Yay!
Also: good to see Balasz again, now skating for Hungary.
Very few falls.

There were also quite a few lowlights. So many bad or at least not great twists (and one missed altogether). I felt sorry for all three Canadian pairs. At least Evelyn and Trennt seem to be back on the way up.

Let's hope tomorrow the pairs will be fit and able to show their real worth!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hold on. This is pair results? This got to be the random-est competition of the season.