2021 Lake Placid Ice Dance International | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2021 Lake Placid Ice Dance International

Andrea82

Medalist
I am very intrigued by Green/Parsons FD. This feels like a step in a good direction. I can't wait to see what they do with it over the course of the season.

Quick question, are women required to wear a dress in the Free Dance? The skirt feels like an after-thought and I think a unitard would have a better effect.
This season women can wear trousers also in the free dance.

Andrea82

Medalist
Garabedian/Proulx-Senecal look in good shape for the Olympic qualification next month.

Harris/Chan were 2 points behind Min/Eaton at 2020 4CCs. Here they won by 2 points. The 2 couples are close and the outcome depends on the performances of the day (and on the panel of judges of the day). Both are in contention for probably the 4th and last Olympic spot at Nebelhorn.

I assume Fear/Waddell are the British couple who will be sent to Nebelhorn. They had some promising results last year when they debuted Senior. So I wondered how they progressed. It seems they are not ready yet to challenge for the Olympic spots based on the performances here.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So much to discuss. Wow.

I absolutely love Green/Parsons FD. I figured if they skated well, they'd be in first. They would have been in the RD, except for the fall miscue. Love their costumes and their modern dance movement style that they've returned to for their FD this season. Very exciting! It looks so good on them. The music for the FD is not necessarily that exciting, but it works. And looking back at their RD, I actually think it works well. I was just thrown off by their early fall. I still think they need some tweaks and they need more mileage with it to gain a better comfort level. But they are looking great. I will hold my nose and watch ice dance this season, and ignore the political judging.

I also loved Pate/Bye's RD and their FD was also very good. Such bad luck with the fall on their ending pose. My goodness, how cautious they have to be throughout every second. That was really upsetting for them. Maybe because it was an ending pose, they didn't lose too many points. I'm thinking they may have lost at least two points because they both tumbled. Perhaps a couple more points. But since Cesanek/Yehorov were bound to be scored a bit higher anyway, it looks like Pate/Bye lost a placement only to the Australian team of Harris/Chan since they were scored very tightly with Pate/Bye in the RD. Had Pate/Bye not fell at the end, they likely would have placed 4th. So, it wasn't a complete disaster for them. I hope they move on with great confidence. They really have two wonderful programs this season. I enjoy watching them. Logan really stands out the way he moves over the ice.

Cesanek/Yehorov are shades of Papadakis/Cizeron to a T with their FD in their costuming, music selection, choreography, expressive, etc. LOL Yep, ice dance looks different altogether today due to the influence of P/C, and of course the legacy of those great ice dancers who came before them: Virtue/Moir; Davis/White; Anissina/Peizarat, Torvill/Dean; Usova/Zhulin; Grishuk/Platov; Klimova/Ponomarenko; et al.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I started new threads to discuss senior pairs FS and senior men FS this evening for Cranberry Cup Int'l. Senior pairs is starting now. Enjoy!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
But since Cesanek/Yehorov were bound to be scored a bit higher anyway, it looks like Pate/Bye lost a placement only to the Australian team of Harris/Chan since they were scored very tightly with Pate/Bye in the RD. Had Pate/Bye not fell at the end, they likely would have placed 4th.
I realize now that I'm wrong. Pate/Bye fell on an ending lift, not an ending pose. What was I thinking? They got no points for that element. They may have lost as much as 5 to 8 points or so, including 2 pts for the fall. So, they certainly would have been ahead of Harris/Chan who placed fourth, and certainly battled with Cesanek/Yehorov for third. The scores would have been close with C/Y for Pate/Bye to maintain third, but it might have been possible without the fall. I hope Eva was not badly hurt, and that they are able to put this misfortune aside and come back strong.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Enjoyed that Fear/Waddell dance. Eek my stream froze, but hooray it is back. Zamboni time? Uh oh How many ice dancers have I missed?
Thank you for saying that, it's cheered me up. 👋 :thank:
On first viewing I didn't love either of their programs as much as last season's, where they actually managed to compete 3 times in their Senior debut season. However, onwards and upwards from here. The Nutcracker Medley FD is certainly better than their Queen RD, and I was pleased to see them move up one place to 10th inspite of a 1.00 Deduction for an Extended Lift.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I assume Fear/Waddell are the British couple who will be sent to Nebelhorn. They had some promising results last year when they deputed Senior. So I wondered how they progressed. It seems they are not ready yet to challenge for the Olympic spots based on the performances here.
They seem to have drawn the short straw in the Gadbois queue for Choreo and music choices for both programs. They looked tonnes better last season right from their first event. But in truth there's no other Senior couple to challenge for the 2nd Olympic spot, though we'll know more next week after Sheffield.

In the top spot, deservedly so after their wonderful FD, my reaction to Green/Parsons. :hap10: :clap::points:

Lulu39

Rinkside
So much to discuss. Wow.

I absolutely love Green/Parsons FD. I figured if they skated well, they'd be in first. They would have been in the RD, except for the fall miscue. Love their costumes and their modern dance movement style that they've returned to for their FD this season. Very exciting! It looks so good on them. The music for the FD is not necessarily that exciting, but it works. And looking back at their RD, I actually think it works well. I was just thrown off by their early fall. I still think they need some tweaks and they need more mileage with it to gain a better comfort level. But they are looking great. I will hold my nose and watch ice dance this season, and ignore the political judging.

I also loved Pate/Bye's RD and their FD was also very good. Such bad luck with the fall on their ending pose. My goodness, how cautious they have to be throughout every second. That was really upsetting for them. Maybe because it was an ending pose, they didn't lose too many points. I'm thinking they may have lost at least two points because they both tumbled. Perhaps a couple more points. But since Cesanek/Yehorov were bound to be scored a bit higher anyway, it looks like Pate/Bye lost a placement only to the Australian team of Harris/Chan since they were scored very tightly with Pate/Bye in the RD. Had Pate/Bye not fell at the end, they likely would have placed 4th. So, it wasn't a complete disaster for them. I hope they move on with great confidence. They really have two wonderful programs this season. I enjoy watching them. Logan really stands out the way he moves over the ice.

Cesanek/Yehorov are shades of Papadakis/Cizeron to a T with their FD in their costuming, music selection, choreography, expressive, etc. LOL Yep, ice dance looks different altogether today due to the influence of P/C, and of course the legacy of those great ice dancers who came before them: Virtue/Moir; Davis/White; Anissina/Peizarat, Torvill/Dean; Usova/Zhulin; Grishuk/Platov; Klimova/Ponomarenko; et al.
G/P are an excellent, technical, consistent team. No surprise on their scores. Love them. P/B and C/Y will also continue to rise. Hope to see them again soon.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Lake Placid International 2021 YouTube videos posted by the official videography vendor today:

- Edited package of all Senior RDs​
- Edited package of all Senior FDs​

Edited package of all Senior RDs (in the following order, which matches actual skate order):
Kowar/Carey; Harris/Chan; Min/Eaton; Shilling/O'Donnell; Zhata/Akalin; McNamara/Spiridonov; Janse van Rensburg/Steffan; Garabedian/Proulx-Senecal; Ichilov/Abecassis; Kerry/Dodds; Pate/Bye; Green/Parsons; Fear/Waddell; Harris/Vollmer; Nosovitskaya/Nosovitskiy; Hertenstein/Binkowski; Cesanek/Yehorov -- plus exhibition RD of Bernardini/Zilberberg (1:12:52 total)​

Edited package of all Senior FDs (in the following order, which matches actual skate order):
Harris/Vollmer; Nosovitskaya/Nosovitskiy; Kowar/Carey; Zhata/Akalin; Hertenstein/Binkowski; Ichilov/Abecassis; Fear/Waddell; Kerry/Dodds; Janse van Rensburg/Steffan; Min/Eaton; McNamara/Spiridonov; Green/Parsons; Garabedian/Proulx-Senecal; Pate/Bye; Harris/Chan; Cesanek/Yehorov -- plus exhibition FD of Bernardini/Zilberberg (1:31:35 total)​