2021 Nebelhorn Trophy: Rhythm Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2021 Nebelhorn Trophy: Rhythm Dance

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Go, T/T - I wish they were wearing something else...

It's her fluorescent pink top that is the problem. If it was darker (even a darker shade of pink), it would be fine.

Wait, just saw a close-up of his top. I take back what I said. I didn't realise there were stripes on it. They are spoiling it.

But, what a fun programme!

A great way to finish off the segment.

CaroLiza_fan

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For the Free Dance they have a tango.
Awkwaaaaard. I wonder how it will go?

We used to have this dance show that was like "Strictly" but with professional dancers. They had a few brother and sister pairs and the Tango segment was always like :slink: even by the judges!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And we have yet another partnership going into 2nd place! :laugh:

But, look at the score - only 0.41 behind the Finns.

Looking at the whole results table, this is a very tight competition. It's going to be a very exciting Free Dance.

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I guess the whole COVID positive test (that ended up being negative) and their reaction to it rubbed people the wrong way.

I'm inclined to give them a pass as it must have been a huge disappointment and if the test had been positive the organisers didn't even proceed correctly as none of the teams who would have been close contacts were banned from competing as well...or coaches not been allowed to work with their other skaters (I think it was 7 other couples!)

So it did kind of look like picking on the small fed skaters.

Thank you for the explanation.
No, no, no, that was not it at all, and doesn't at all represent what happened.

He tested positive on the morning of the RD, the organisers rushed off a second test. Even though the second test result did not come back anywhere near in time - it did not come back until around three hours after they were supposed to have skated - that was totally outside the organisers' control. Even though they didn't have the result, the Armenians refused to withdraw, forcing the organisers to do it for them.

There was a mistake with the paperwork with the second test, where he was originally erroneously told that one was also positive, when it was actually negative - but it was all a moot point because the RD was over.

The Armenians believed he should have been allowed to skate with a positive test that they did not know was false.

After Worlds, they threw a giant temper tantrum and claimed that they definitely, 100% would have guaranteed themselves an Olympic spot (doubtful) and spun a media narrative that the ISU had some conspiracy to keep Armenian skating down, even talking about how their dream was over and deliberately not mentioning that they would get another shot at Nebelhorn.

Their reaction had nothing to do with other teams being allowed to skate/coach, which for the record, also included a large number of smaller country teams - Harris/Chan for example were in their warmup group. But the Armenians would have been happy to expose them to compete. They were totally selfish.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Taschler siblings were best in my uneducated opinion - fast, energetic, with attitude and attack plus both music and performance on the same page. They looked solid plus I see they are pretty good off-ice dancers too in terms of how these *dance choreo breaks* went. I wish Natalie went full on hot pink outfit with skirt (or pants/shorts), he looks positively out there and both looked like having time if their lives.
I was a bit underwhelmed about Maria & Georgy's RD to be honest...I kinda like music choice, but the choreo looks somewhat unfinished or unpolished and performance felt a bit too tight/rushed for me. But still, they are one of the most interesting teams out there - rooting for no issues in FD to get that Olympic spot!!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I want Yura and Daniel to qualify so badly but it's difficult to overcome the RD difference... I want to cry (partially from exhaustion, I went tutoring after 4 hours of sleep, which reminds me to brew some more green tea)
They're only .16 out of a qualifying place. So we'll see what happens in the FD.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Their reaction had nothing to do with other teams being allowed to skate/coach, which for the record, also included a large number of smaller country teams - Harris/Chan for example were in their warmup group. But the Armenians would have been happy to expose them to compete. They were totally selfish.
Thing is...unless all the other teams they practiced with and their coaches all tested negative after his test there could be no guarantee of safety. As far as everyone knew he was positive. But rather than postpone the event to ensure all close contacts were negative and the event safe, the organisers shrugged and allowed the event to continue.

I mean you are right that it was selfish of them not to think of the consequences, but it must have been hard for them... especially when all their teammates got to compete. It made a mockery of the bubble. What if he really had been positive? It could have been a super spreader event involving some of the best dance couples in the world a year out from the Olympics 😳

Now if the other teams were tested after his positive result and they came back negative in time then I retract my statement.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
No, no, no, that was not it at all, and doesn't at all represent what happened.

He tested positive on the morning of the RD, the organisers rushed off a second test. Even though the second test result did not come back anywhere near in time - it did not come back until around three hours after they were supposed to have skated - that was totally outside the organisers' control. Even though they didn't have the result, the Armenians refused to withdraw, forcing the organisers to do it for them.

There was a mistake with the paperwork with the second test, where he was originally erroneously told that one was also positive, when it was actually negative - but it was all a moot point because the RD was over.

The Armenians believed he should have been allowed to skate with a positive test that they did not know was false.

After Worlds, they threw a giant temper tantrum and claimed that they definitely, 100% would have guaranteed themselves an Olympic spot (doubtful) and spun a media narrative that the ISU had some conspiracy to keep Armenian skating down, even talking about how their dream was over and deliberately not mentioning that they would get another shot at Nebelhorn.

I guess I'll check for their explanation. Maybe I'm biased, because Armenia as a country has my deep sympathies.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I guess I'll check for their explanation. Maybe I'm biased, because Armenia as a country has my deep sympathies.
They did admittedly lose their *beep*

I think there was a petition and everything...

It was confusing because I also heard the second (negative) test did come back in time, but it was misread as positive? Which is a Hell of a mistake to make, but it seems that wasn't the case.

In other news I'm sleepy! But the men are coming up!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So it looks like politics at work as usual in ice dance. I thought Sash Fear & George Waddell were good and should have scored a bit higher. The Italian team who skated right after them were favored and given a higher placement by two points. I liked Fear/Waddell better, and I thought they performed better than the Italians too.

ETA;
The Georgian couple who recently came up from juniors got a huge break in the scores after the problem on the twizzles.

Last edited:

auser

Record Breaker
Taschler siblings were best in my uneducated opinion - fast, energetic, with attitude and attack plus both music and performance on the same page. They looked solid plus I see they are pretty good off-ice dancers too in terms of how these *dance choreo breaks* went. I wish Natalie went full on hot pink outfit with skirt (or pants/shorts), he looks positively out there and both looked like having time if their lives.
I was a bit underwhelmed about Maria & Georgy's RD to be honest...I kinda like music choice, but the choreo looks somewhat unfinished or unpolished and performance felt a bit too tight/rushed for me. But still, they are one of the most interesting teams out there - rooting for no issues in FD to get that Olympic spot!!
You are too modest saying your opinion is uneducated.:laugh: The scores between the top two teams are so close, the FD will be interesting.:popcorn: