2021 NHK Trophy - Pairs: Thoughts and Comments? | Golden Skate

2021 NHK Trophy - Pairs: Thoughts and Comments?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

What are your thoughts on the pairs event overall?

"Compared to Skate America we had a higher score," Kihara noted. "The score we were able to get was close to Skate America, and I really feel that we've grown."

"It has been two weeks since Skate America and I struggled in practice with the triple Salchow, so I was really worried," Miura admitted. "I tried to feel comfortable about it, but I didn't go for it. During the practice, I didn't really get a handle on my Salchow, but I tried to to listen to our coaches in order to achieve it. I am disappointed that I couldn't fix the problem."

I am quickly becoming enamored by this team ;)

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
This was the most generous/lax technical panel with regards to jumps that I've seen for a pair event in recent memory. They seemed to be calling all the elements normally except for the jumps. Cain/LeDuc were absolutely < on their 3Lo and Miura/Kihara should have had a q for her 3T. C/L's jump was also short in the SP, but her LP one was a particularly glaring UR. M/K were at least given a q in the SP. Blown underrotation calls in pairs don't happen often, so I'm assuming the panel gets to review jumps from an appropriate angle. But this event has made me curious as to what camera angle they actually watch from. M/K definitely jumped better at their first GP.

It was an off competition for Tarasova/Morozov otherwise they would have been much closer to Mishina/Galliamov. T/M have been doing a great job this season keeping the errors to a minimum, but the errors compounded here. Their throws are such exciting and explosive elements, but they were very off in the FS. She doesn't usually step out of them like that. They have bigger throws than M/G, so if they just hit them, that's a real advantage for them, but they didn't capitalize on it here. They don't have a ton of mileage yet doing the 3FTh, and their throws are so big that it naturally lends itself to some shaky landings. But no big deal, both Russian pairs did well and were the class of the field.

Nearly every pair wore grey or black in the free skate, and between that and the music choices, there was a subdued mood to it all. But I still enjoyed it lol. And Ryuichi Kihara's priceless kiss & cry reactions could brighten anyone's mood.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@gsk8
I am quickly becoming enamored by this team ;)

I fell in love with Miura/Kihara at NHK 2019 when they'd only been partners for a few months! Well, there's something so endearing about seeing their delight and surprise at doing so well. That charming quality of theirs is still present. What's really interesting is how far down the ranks both Riku and Ryuichi were with their previous partners. And then, they matched so well right off the bat, it seemed like magic for them to leap up the standings. (literally!) They're equally good in technique, and they also show a lot of sensitivity, harmony and care for one another. That's just irresistible. I almost never mute figure skating music, but I have to mute their FS. However, I still love "Hallelujah." I love their expression. Ryuichi's joyful expression has an extra dimension, because he feels the music in his bones. Riku completes his movements and expressions. It's clear to see how hard they've worked these two years, with great results.

For me, there were two highlights of this event. (M/K's performances, I thought, were not quite as good as at SC). Cain-Gribble/Leduc skated their programs with passion, confidence, and intensity. Ashley said on IG that they met all their goals for this event. For me, I'm just so glad to see them skating more nearly to their potential. They've gained consistency and earned respect with their skates this fall. Even though Ashley had a fall on the throw 3S in the free skate, I felt like she experienced it more as fluke than failure; she and Timothy laughed right away about it at the end of the program. They've come through the struggles of the past couple of years, and they're stronger. As well as more resilient. That sounds like a cliche, but cliches can sometimes be the simple truth. They have so many wonderful qualities as a pair, and I love that their strengths are unique and that they stay true to what make them unique.

The second highlight was Mishina/Galliamov's free skate. I disliked their music when I first heard/saw the program. To be fair, it was very early and very rough at that time. Even then, I thought they'd probably convince me as they developed it over the season; and they've already come a long way with it. It's still not my favorite of theirs and never will be, but I'm starting to think the music choice was smart. With so many pairs skating to more modern, emotional music or even love ballads, it provides a very nice contrast. The 'Snowstorm' part is making them seem more and more like a classical pair; and the "Time" music at least has the advantage of providing contrasting mood. They're both showing versatility in being able to show something different with their skating. I think they have connection and great chemistry (I know not everyone does). And their elements just are dazzling. Also the complexity and refinement in everything. The way Anastasia lands throw jumps is just wonderful; she checks and lands like she doesn't have a doubt in the world. She's adorable as well as down-to-earth, an interesting combination. And he is a diva in the very best sense!

What are your thoughts on the pairs event overall?

I think the title of your article is perfect! Mishina and Galliamov are a perfect storm, a great force to be reckoned with. :points:

rinkside_user

On the Ice
A super dull competition for me, and not just because - as @gold12345 mentioned - colors were seemingly banned from the FS. The only saving point was Miura/Kihara's reaction in the K&C. I think it's a safe bet to say Sui/Han and the two top Russian pairs have good chances to be on the Olympic podium.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I also felt that the event was boring, but I am glad that M/G won, because I felt that T/M were over appreciated this season so far. Honestly, why they don’t use their Titanic exhibition as their free, I dunno. It fits their monochrome mood palette, but at least it stirs more emotions by association.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The placements were fairly predictable for me. Tarasova and Morozov definitely have their work cut out for them.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This was the most generous/lax technical panel with regards to jumps that I've seen for a pair event in recent memory. They seemed to be calling all the elements normally except for the jumps. Cain/LeDuc were absolutely < on their 3Lo and Miura/Kihara should have had a q for her 3T. C/L's jump was also short in the SP, but her LP one was a particularly glaring
Yeah true, although I personally don't tend to scrutinize possible URs because in general the judges hit or miss anyway with tech calls. They rarely get everything exactly right. Sometimes they call URs when they are too close to call. One thing that I was struck by is the fact that this NHK sp was certainly not the best by C-G/LD. I believe Ash had a hand down on the sbs, but otherwise they skated clean. And their sp score was 70 (or maybe I'm misremembering and the hand down was in the fp). In any case, even Ash/Timothy and Daddy Cain were happily surprised by that sp score. It's like whiplash, the way Ash/Timothy have been scored this season internationally.

I don't think the 70 sp score is out of place exactly for Ash/Timothy. It's just the contrast of the fact when they skated their sp the best at Finlandia, the judges gave them 64+, and when they skated their sp fairly well, with just one mistake on sbs jump by Ash at Skate Canada, the judges completely dumped on them with a 61+, which meant they weren't rating C-G/LD highly at all for the quality value of their best attributes. Frankly, I had to laugh with a mixture of joy and irony when I saw the NHK sp score for Ash/Timothy. I surmised that the judges may have been thinking, 'Okay, you guys won two bronze medals, without any help from the judges. In fact, some judges were basically trying to bury you and you still got on the podium at two previous events. So, here's some rare scoring reward at NHK, cuz you most definitely will NOT get on the podium here!' :ROFLMAO: Not with M/K Japanese faves in the mix, along with the ubiquitous high-scoring Russians. LOL!

ETA:
Kudos to Lu/Mitrofanov, and best wishes for them continuing to grow and improve in all areas. They are definitely maturing and growing in power and presence, which is lovely to see. Still a long way to go for L/M tho' especially because negative perceptions of U.S. teams in recent decades continue to be held against current U.S. pairs skaters, sadly. Honestly, if L/M were a young Russian team who continued to skate this well, they would be spotted at least 5 to 6 or more points, hands down.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NHK sp score for Ash/Timothy. I surmised that the judges may have been thinking, 'Okay, you guys won two bronze medals, without any help from the judges. In fact, some judges were basically trying to bury you and you still got on the podium at two previous events.

Ashley and Timothy have won bronze medals at three events this season: Finlandia, Autumn Classic, and Skate Canada.

And yes, that's what they've done, even with some judges basically trying to bury them. I'm cautiously optimistic. Not just with C-G/L, but with many skaters, I notice that skating with some consistency does tend to elevate a pair. So I'm really happy that that's Ashley/Timothy's strategy and goal this season. I'm happy that their scores from this event have raised them closer to where they truly ought to be.

I personally don't tend to scrutinize possible URs because in general the judges hit or miss anyway with tech calls. They rarely get everything exactly right. Sometimes they call URs when they are too close to call.

Right. The scoring system is just so unwieldy. Like you, I'm not all that interested in scrutinizing URs. I know when technique is good enough or when it's really spectacular, because of the thousands of figure skating programs I've watched. It's what skaters do with their technique that matters -- whether they put it to good use in making beautiful programs with resonance, emotion, and attention to the music.

Last edited:

Yeslekyelnats

Rinkside
Yeah true, although I personally don't tend to scrutinize possible URs because in general the judges hit or miss anyway with tech calls. They rarely get everything exactly right. Sometimes they call URs when they are too close to call. One thing that I was struck by is the fact that this NHK sp was certainly not the best by C-G/LD. I believe Ash had a hand down on the sbs, but otherwise they skated clean. And their sp score was 70 (or maybe I'm misremembering and the hand down was in the fp). In any case, even Ash/Timothy and Daddy Cain were happily surprised by that sp score. It's like whiplash, the way Ash/Timothy have been scored this season internationally.

I don't think the 70 sp score is out of place exactly for Ash/Timothy. It's just the contrast of the fact when they skated their sp the best at Finlandia, the judges gave them 64+, and when they skated their sp fairly well, with just one mistake on sbs jump by Ash at Skate Canada, the judges completely dumped on them with a 61+, which meant they weren't rating C-G/LD highly at all for the quality value of their best attributes. Frankly, I had to laugh with a mixture of joy and irony when I saw the NHK sp score for Ash/Timothy. I surmised that the judges may have been thinking, 'Okay, you guys won two bronze medals, without any help from the judges. In fact, some judges were basically trying to bury you and you still got on the podium at two previous events. So, here's some rare scoring reward at NHK, cuz you most definitely will NOT get on the podium here!' :ROFLMAO: Not with M/K Japanese faves in the mix, along with the ubiquitous high-scoring Russians. LOL!

ETA:
Kudos to Lu/Mitrofanov, and best wishes for them continuing to grow and improve in all areas. They are definitely maturing and growing in power and presence, which is lovely to see. Still a long way to go for L/M tho' especially because negative perceptions of U.S. teams in recent decades continue to be held against current U.S. pairs skaters, sadly. Honestly, if L/M were a young Russian team who continued to skate this well, they would be spotted at least 5 to 6 or more points, hands down.
Those weren’t possible URs though. They were very noticeable to the untrained eye.