2023 Worlds: Pairs SP | Thoughts | Golden Skate

2023 Worlds: Pairs SP | Thoughts

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Miura had a charming moment in the Kiss & Cry when she prematurely reacted to the scores, which had not yet been shown to the audience. 😍

"I was simply just happy and my happiness just exploded," she said. "I saw the score, but I didn't know that everyone didn't see the score yet, so I was jumping the gun but I didn't know about that."

What a great event! So many great skates! Who were your favorites? Do you think the placements will change?

readernick

Medalist
I was just so happy to have such a well-skated SP. Pairs is the discipline that was hurt by the lack of Chinese and Russian participants at the beginning of the season. However, the pairs as a group have improved so much! I am rooting for everyone in the FS. I really enjoyed the top 6 pairs here. I also really like both german pairs. I hope everyone has a FS they can be proud of...

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Anyone know where there's replays of this? Can't seem to find them on YouTube.

Looks like from the scores, there were some very strong skates!

For those saying pairs isn't pairs without the top Chinese/Russians, this short program was arguably stronger/cleaner overall than the last Worlds (2021) where China and Russia (FSR) were competing:

2021 Worlds SP:

2023 Worlds SP:

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
I was just so happy to have such a well-skated SP. Pairs is the discipline that was hurt by the lack of Chinese and Russian participants at the beginning of the season. However, the pairs as a group have improved so much! I am rooting for everyone in the FS. I really enjoyed the top 6 pairs here. I also really like both german pairs. I hope everyone has a FS they can be proud of...
the rivalry between the Americans and the Japanese built over the season and has become really exciting!

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Good job all. Feel bad about K/F . Happy that C/H made the top 6. I forget the pairs do top 4. Great job 👍.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am most thrilled for both tangos as well. I have mentioned it in the competition thread, I prefer Deanna's and Max's tango (yes, I am already biased and I am fine admitting it) because it had flair and passion, but I also really liked the Italians' refined skating (especially their step sequence). They were light and smooth. Those two were my favourite teams of the evening. I was impressed by M/K doing so well in front of their home crowd. They skated very well, and if at times, they have been rewarded a bit much (my opinion) for what they put on the ice, like last year's LP at worlds, this time, they deserved every point they earned ! Bravo ! I prefer Chan and Howe to Knierim Fraser, but that's just a question of style. I recognize KF probably have the biggest throws, but the fall and the lack of energy in the steps and last minute overall was enough in my opinion to put them a bit lower in the rankings, which didn't really happen. Considering how well the top 5-6 have skated, there could be movement for places 2-6 even 2-10. Honorable mention to Lia and Trennt at their first worlds... All their elements but their lift, are top notch.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Good job all. Feel bad about K/F . Happy that C/H made the top 6. I forget the pairs do top 4. Great job 👍.
I feel bad about the fall. But they were hugely gifted on their PCS. Maybe the judges just wanted to keep them a bit closer to the Japanese pair so it wasn't a complete runaway, but SK/F aren't so good a team with so good a program that they can fall and deserve 34.58 PCS (their personal best for their clean SP at Worlds 2022 being 34.77). Like a 9.25 for Presentation with a fall... and then that judge gave M/K an 8.50... lol, okay there.

DonnaR

On the Ice
Anyone know where there's replays of this? Can't seem to find them on YouTube.

Looks like from the scores, there were some very strong skates!

For those saying pairs isn't pairs without the top Chinese/Russians, this short program was arguably stronger/cleaner overall than the last Worlds (2021) where China and Russia (FSR) were competing:

2021 Worlds SP:

2023 Worlds SP:
If you are able to access CBC in Canada, I've found them here: https://www.cbc.ca/player/sports/figure skating/full shows

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada

Miura had a charming moment in the Kiss & Cry when she prematurely reacted to the scores, which had not yet been shown to the audience. 😍

"I was simply just happy and my happiness just exploded," she said. "I saw the score, but I didn't know that everyone didn't see the score yet, so I was jumping the gun but I didn't know about that."

What a great event! So many great skates! Who were your favorites? Do you think the placements will change?

Do the skaters/coaches in the K&C always get to see the scores early?

I know the tv commentators get them a few seconds early and need to pretend they don't, but never seen a reaction like that before. Could see other skaters looking at the monitors.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I feel bad about the fall. But they were hugely gifted on their PCS. Maybe the judges just wanted to keep them a bit closer to the Japanese pair so it wasn't a complete runaway, but SK/F aren't so good a team with so good a program that they can fall and deserve 34.58 PCS (their personal best for their clean SP at Worlds 2022 being 34.77). Like a 9.25 for Presentation with a fall... and then that judge gave M/K an 8.50... lol, okay there.
Speaking as a Yank, I'm rooting for K/F but have to agree re: the presentation marks you mentioned. IMO, M/K's presentation was simply exquisite. I also loved Deanna/Maxime and the Italians.

There were so many great skates last night; looking forward to the LP!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really enjoyed the SP event. I was worried that since some of the teams are a little less experienced, it might turn out to be just so-so. Very exciting though. Happy to see Ellie and Danny do well, liked Deanna and Maxime, Alexa and Brandon (good skate despite their emotional roller coaster of the last few weeks). The Phillipine pair looked promising. Super happy for Lia and Trennt. Trennt looks like a different person skating with Lia. So much calmer and happier. Amazing how quickly their partnership has improved.

gold12345

Medalist
Alexa Knierim was the best pair skater in the event. Really exceptional quality to her pair work and she has a newfound poise & calmness on the ice in the past year. Unfortunately Brandon had one of his only falls in a big moment and I feel bad for them for that. They've been trending upward toward 80 points, but they need to compete more because you're not always going to nail it, especially when you're defending a title for the first time as a pair and you want it even more because of your ailing coach who's had a scary past month in the hospital. Error aside, it was their best delivery of their SP this season.

We always hear how the Russians are so far ahead, but I just don't see it with Alexa. Put Knierim/Frazier's twist and throw in the SP against any Russian team and they're just as great, in some cases superior. It's like she's shot out of a canyon on the throw triple flip, the best height and distance. And the new entry to their twist has improved their rhythm and timing, which helped lead to a much more explosive twist here. I was impressed by Brandon there; it's been an adjustment period getting him used to a new partner on that element. Their spins were also improved, the unison and speed. All of this resulted in a great score with a fall. This entire Pairs SP was a strong event and held its own without Russians.

K/F didn't receive a PCS gift, they got a 34.58, the same exact number they scored at GPF, the same 34 they've been scoring at every international event this season. And Worlds scores tend to escalate a bit. Error aside, this was definitely the best they've performed this SP this season overall; Alexa was in a different gear here. It's also a considerably better SP for them than last season. So them getting a 34 like always is in no way a gift. Despite the fall, they earned a high TES, so a PCS drop would have been strange.

Miura/Kihara were the ones who got a PCS boost here above what they've been scoring all season, their PCS went from steady 34s to 36 here-- fair enough, they skated strongly at the biggest competition.

These 2 pairs are doing different styles of SPs. Maybe an older, more traditionalist person might "get" M/K's lovely traditional program more than K/F's Stranger Things-based program. But K/F's program has been well received and Alexa has this vibrancy to her that makes her stand out, and they've obviously a top pair, so yes, they're not going to score low PCS.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was very heartening to see how well this event went! Pairs are my favorite, and this season without (ahem, some others) has shown how much beautiful variety we have. my highlights in no particular order:

Deanna Stellato/Maxime Deschamps: for a moment during the step sequence, I thought I was watching a dance team, not a pairs team! Absolutely wonderful, precise and beautiful expression from Deanna especially, with Max keeping up. I usually zone out on Step sequences, so this was really fun. Their whole skate was gorgeous and so well done. I love their unified and adult take on Oblivion.

Riku/Ryuichi. Riku has really come into her own this season, I think, as far as stepping up to be the sparkle and being the woman. This skate was the best they've done it all season. Minority opinion: I love this music and program for them, because it shows them starting with one emotion, then going through a range of emotions. Mid-program, I can really see the intensity growing and building, continuing to a great ending. Really enjoyable; and their elements were wonderfully performed

Emily Chan/Spencer Akira Howe. Such a strong interpretation of the flamenco, which they each (and together) portray to perfection. Watching it, I'm more aware of the expression of the whole as a program and as a work of art; the elements are woven so beautifully into the transitions that everything comes together to make it so much more than a technical program and competition. Wonderful choreography, which I especially noticed as they went into their death spiral, which is so often (for me) just, oh yes, we have to do this. This DS was actually in the spirit of the program, maybe because it was so smooth. ETA: also, their throw jump is very powerful, especially with distance.

Lia Perriera/Trennt Michaud. Watching this was like a miracle. Trennt has become a completely different pairs partner and skater. Lia is a star, no doubt about it; I love her smile. And Trennt backs up her starriness with this completely new charisma and confidence. I think that, though he's not the first pairs partner to have this happen, Trennt was worried about his former partner. Now he's been freed of that, in spite of Lia being so new to pairs. That freedom brings such confidence.

I re-watched their lift, since in real time it is so scary. Here's my take: Trennt has very muscular arms and shoulders and gets Lia plenty high on the twist, so strength isn't the problem, which is, IMHO, (1) Trennt has a long torso and somewhat shorter arms and legs, though nothing looks out of proportion. (2) when Lia's doing the split leg position, Trennt is holding her by her top leg, which means her other leg and body are closer to his head than they would otherwise be. That's my take, anyway. I'll be watching the other FS lifts, they may not be as scary!

I have a commitment but may come back later. I only watched the event this afternoon, but I'm sure I've neglected to mention some highlights. Really looking forward to the free skates!

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When the tango is well done -- as S/D and C/M did yesterday -- what's not to like? :scratch2:

I am sorry to say that I am one of the tango naysayers. :slink:

I've never been a huge fan of the music, but that is personal preference. 👑 Deanna and her consort Maxime of course slayed with their tango here.

The fact that both Deanna and Max and Andrew T. are skating to the same tango music? Only my love for them pulls me through:biggrin:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I guess Alexa and Brandon must have a great program to have a fall and still be in 2nd place.