2021 Worlds: Pairs Short Program | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Pairs Short Program

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Well, I'm not arguing with you, but there are probably people who speak up when they love a pair; but maybe they keep quiet about the ones that they don't love. I doubt that you're alone. :love:
Totally agree! Here on Goldenskate there are certain skaters who are like a third rail—anything remotely negative said about them will result in electrocution :)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ever since I heard Meagan Duhamel say in a TSL video that what she admired the most about Sui and Han was their commitment to every little thing, that's all I need to notice about them.
Well Meagan isn't really in my good books...was that the same interview where she made fun of T/M as well as Nina Mozer? Because the second that started I switched that trash off.

Not to mention I read her and Eric's biography and she didn't even bother to NAME T/M. Like they were so far below her notice they were just "The Russian Team that screwed up the individual event."

She's not a terrible person, but damn can she say the most terrible things.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well Meagan isn't really in my good books...was that the same interview where she made fun of T/M as well as Nina Mozer? Because the second that started I switched that trash off.

Not to mention I read her and Eric's biography and she didn't even bother to NAME T/M. Like they were so far below her notice they were just "The Russian Team that screwed up the individual event."

She's not a terrible person, but damn can she say the most terrible things.
Well, I don't remember that. The thing I remember her saying about T/M was the year after the Olympics, and she said something like "everyone knows they're the best pair" but they just haven't been able to put it all together yet. I find her comments about other skaters to be generally very concise, interesting, and also generous. But I didn't read the biography so I can't speak to that. And you and I may well have listened to mutually exclusive interviews. I've never taken to Meagan's skating or her pairs philosophy, to tell the truth, but I respect her even more since I've listened to her commentary about the skaters. She and I don't agree on everything, but I find her to be mostly fair.

But I'm not trying to argue you out of your passion or your opinions. I respect them, and you. And I love how passionate you are.

Country
Russia
I finally caught up on the pairs, and omg, I am so happy to see B/K put in a beautiful skate, but I am even happier to see Kozlovskiy in good health. Also, new music! 😍😍😍🌹🙌
I really liked they had changed the music! First I thought that it was too risky to do so shortly before the Worlds but now I must admit I enjoy their SP much more. And they also managed it extremely well despite the change.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
edit #1: Nvm actually found the borked PDF in my history. Let me see if I can salvage this thing.

edit #2: ISU PDF link works now :laugh:

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
@anonymoose_au Dylan Moscovitch always has nice words to say about T/M (check out CBC's That Figure Skating Show where they discussed today's pairs SP). I also like T/M. I think they have the best lines, unison and skating skills out of the top 4 Russian teams, they've just got a consistency issue (or reputation for it).

My mom didn’t like them, says they do nothing for her, and in her esteemed opinion Han can barely heft Sui up, let alone do a proper lift. Me, I like Peng/Jin much more, but I don’t mind S/H 🤷
I also prefer P/J slightly over S/H at the moment. I liked S/H a lot in 2017 and 2019, but P/J developed very nicely over time. I like their classical lines and subtle chemistry. S/H's chemistry is more obviously romantic in a contemporary sort of way which is fine (I also like Virtue/Moir after all) but I find it interesting to see how P/J gets this connection across in an alternative way. P/J also have some gorgeous elements (e.g. axel lasso lift, death spiral, throw loop). That said, S/H's signature throw flip is really impressive.

On another note, I really like Mark Hanretty's commentary. More technically specific than Chris and Simon, talks more than Ted but stays on topic, fairly objective. Pleasant accent too.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And I love how passionate you are.
Thank you for your nice words.

I don't like how passionate I am though 😞 this World is already a complete nightmare for me and I'm pretty sure it's about to get worse.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for your nice words.

I don't like how passionate I am though 😞 this World is already a complete nightmare for me and I'm pretty sure it's about to get worse.
It's gonna be better tomorrow. 🌤️

saturdaysun

On the Ice
But I don't get that with S/H.

You can disbelieve me, you can think I'm a weirdo, but I don't. I enjoy watching them skate, but when I watch them I don't feel that.

I felt that with T/M's Rachmaninoff at 2019 Worlds, it was beautiful, so so beautiful. But did they smash any records? Did the fandom explode into screams of joy and awe. Nope.

Guess that's on me. But it stinks being the only one in the room who doesn't feel like everyone else. It's lonely and depressing.
You've made so many posts like this and I really don't know what you want. People like what they like. No one says you have to like S/H, but you're also not going to convince anyone to dislike them or prefer T/M to them because you do. I'm sorry it's lonely and depressing but I wish you wouldn't let it make you feel that way. I uber for Wang/Liu and other less popular skaters and people barely care about them. 🤷‍♀️

As for T/M not smashing records in 2019... Well it's hard to smash records when you put a hand down on both your jumping passes.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Well, I'm not arguing with you, but there are probably people who speak up when they love a pair; but maybe they keep quiet about the ones that they don't love. I doubt that you're alone. :love:
Yup, I just keep quiet about the ones I don't love. I don't see a point in saying mean things, and skating faves are a matter of taste, anyway.

rccr25

Rinkside
WAIT is there a discussion about why S/H excel as a pair?-Come on, they are not really a pair. SH IS SKATING LIKE ONE while everyone else attends pair competition. PLUS we have been watching Sui and Han since they were so tiny yet full of characteristics and watching them through all injuries. I like T/M, P/J, M/G as well, but S/H is just special:love: