2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Pairs Free Skate | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Pairs Free Skate

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hurrah for Ashley and Tim! I am so happy for them. I'm sorry for Jessica and Brian, a couple I also enjoy a lot watching, but in this case it's fair that Ashley and Tim get the Olympic spot. And what a programme, never mind they weren't perfect. Those lines....
What is the period of quarentine in China for athletes who arrive?

Seven Sisters

Medalist
New random question: I have a friend who is nonbinary who I am trying to get into figure skating. Is there anywhere I can find videos of C-G/L that don't have the NBC commentators?
I’d bet there are videos of them where the commentary is in a language I—or your friend—don’t understand. That’s sometimes just as effective as no commentary at all!

readernick

Medalist
So Alexa and Brandon will petition to go to the Olys? How will this play out?
90 percent what happens is as long as Alexa/ Brandon are COVID-19 free they are sent with CG/L. C/ J just aren't reliable enough and they are my favorite US pairs team so I don't think my opinion is influenced by bias. The real question is who will the US put in the team event? Before Nationals, 💯 K/ F their scores are significantly higher internationally but CG/ L just made a pretty strong argument for themselves.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
90 percent what happens is as long as Alexa/ Brandon are COVID-19 free they are sent with CG/L. C/ J just aren't reliable enough and they are my favorite US pairs team so I don't think my opinion is influenced by bias. The real question is who will the US put in the team event? Before Nationals, 💯 K/ F their scores are significantly higher internationally but CG/ L just made a pretty strong argument for themselves.
Assuming their petition is granted, Alexa and Brandon would still be in a higher priority group than Ashley and Timothy. Don't know if that will be part of the decision. It'll be interesting for sure.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
K/F have the highest scores among US skaters and are unbeaten among US pairs. Almost certainly they will skate the team event.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
What is the period of quarentine in China for athletes who arrive?
For the unvaccinated, 21 days. For the vaccinated and negative PCR-tested, no quarantine but athletes go directly into the bubble. USOC has stated months ago that they will ONLY take athletes who are fully vaccinated to China, so any athlete with aspirations to the 2022 Games, had plenty of time to get the deed accomplished.

The issue is the PCR screen. As it stands now, Brandon Frazier (and anyone with COVID in the 30 days prior to arrival in China) will have to produce two negative PCR tests at least 24 hours apart, and both at least 8 days before departure for China. Then he (and all athletes) will have to produce two negative PCR tests taken on separate days, both within 96 hours of departure for China. Any athlete who cannot meet this standard, is not supposed to be allowed to board the plane to China. Another PCR test will be done on arrival in China at the airport.

Due to lack of commercial flights and differences in how commercial passengers are processed/quarantined once in China, USOC is chartering flight(s) to fly the US Olympic athletes from California to Beijing, and likely the departure date will be something around Jan 31 or Feb 1. (remember you lose a day going westbound across the Intl Date Line). In practical terms, this means that athletes like Frazier and Alysa Liu, who just tested positive, will need to go negative x 2 before somewhere around Jan 22. That's not all that much time.

It remains to be seen if China will adjust their stringent requirements, but I wouldn't bet on it. The IOC doesn't really have a lot of leverage at this point to force them, and Chinese domestic concerns to keep COVID out, will take precedence.

sworddance21

On the Ice
The issue is the PCR screen. As it stands now, Brandon Frazier (and anyone with COVID in the 30 days prior to arrival in China) will have to produce two negative PCR tests at least 24 hours apart, and both at least 8 days before departure for China. Then he (and all athletes) will have to produce two negative PCR tests taken on separate days, both within 96 hours of departure for China. Any athlete who cannot meet this standard, is not supposed to be allowed to board the plane to China. Another PCR test will be done on arrival in China at the airport.
Am I wrong that if you have COVID, you may actually test positive for several weeks AFTER you are no longer contagious?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Am I wrong that if you have COVID, you may actually test positive for several weeks AFTER you are no longer contagious?
It varies by individual, but yes that can happen and the PCR will remain stubbornly positive. You can see why athletes with very recent or current COVID infections, are really going to be pushing the time limit, especially if their events are in the early part of the Olympic schedule and/or their arrival is within the next 25 days.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yes, scientists say that PCR tests may come back positive up to 6 weeks after....which of course begs the reliance on testing sometimes but I digress. Not the time or place. Either way, I hope that Brendan is feeling 100% soon and that the time between now and their flight to China is enough.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Thoughts from the arena: (1) It was impossible for the pairs to be as clean as the men--the day started on such a high, (2) After watching the men seeing the much bigger pairs team was awesome--different dimensions altogether, (3) listening to crisp pairs crossovers across the rink is one of my favorite things.

I missed most of the first group, so here are my thoughts on the second group:

(1) Lu/Mitrofonov: this is a better vehicle than their short. The driving music, especially at the beginning, really helps them. Their money is landing the jumps so it was sad that they didn't. However I love their ambition in going 3S eu 3S. We need to invest in them and polish them up.

(2) Chan/Howe: I'm still trying to figure out how he got that lift up. I thought it was dead in the water and somehow he got her up. Spencer Howe is a great skater. He was interpreting the program and he has really good skating skills. Even at the end of the program he was racing across the ice. If she is able to grow into this partnership they may be able to do some things.

(3) Cain-Gribble/LeDuc: Easily the performance of the night. So much more flow coming out of those throws, the lifts are more secure, and the twist is better. They have some lovely choreographic moments and really know how to sell a program. I love Timothy!

(4) Calalang/Johnson: I was praying they would hit the jumps, but it was too much to ask. I hope they're staying around for another quad. Their power across the ice, lifts, and twist are world class! Not quite the program they needed but they were still impressive.

I'm assuming they will send Knierim/Frazier. I'm sad I didn't get to see them.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The problem is I doubt (think Rachel Flatt, Vaughn Chipeur and many other skaters) that someon picked for the olympics or worlds will fully disclos even to their skating federation if they not feeling great after Covid because they want to go to the olympics. Its human nature. Covid takes often a lot out of people but can you imagin the heart desire to go to BEijing. Some broadcasters have said if you get covid now a month before olympics rally you should be out even fairly minor covid but human nature being human nature...