2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Pairs Free Skate | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Pairs Free Skate

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I am a C/J fan, but I do think with only 2 spots given the Nationals result this is the correct decision. C-G/L have been more consistent this year and won the National championship. It’s been pretty close and if C/J had placed 1st I think it would have gone the other way.
Note that they have not named the Olympic pairs yet. I fully expect them to be K/F and CG/LD and have no problem with that. That’s not what we are talking about here.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Note that they have not named the Olympic pairs yet. I fully expect them to be K/F and CG/LD and have no problem with that. That’s not what we are talking about here.
I mean for Worlds as well. How do you not name your national champion to worlds?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What we are talking about is C&J do not even get 4CCs, let alone world's.

However, if they are Olympic alternates, I believe they get sent to the Olympics, in case one of the other two teams is unable to skate?

In which case, they cannot do 4cc, I guess?

Seven Sisters

Medalist

However, if they are Olympic alternates, I believe they get sent to the Olympics, in case one of the other two teams is unable to skate?

Hopefully USFS has already explained to all the women, pairs and dancers involved what their roles are going to be and it’s only the public announcements that are being done in a less than optimal way.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Judging from the women’s team selection the first alternate isn’t named to 4CCs but lower ranking alternates can be.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Since none of us know exactly what went down, I think some of this outrage about C/J is misplaced, or premature. Given the problem with the crud and the knowledge that EVERY travel and competition situation poses a risk, I can easily see the scenario where USFS chose the Olympic alternates and then presented the initial first alternate selection with a choice as to whether they wanted to risk going to 4CC, or stay as bubbled as possible with the possibility they will need to be called on to go to the Olympics. C/J may have been given the choice, and decided 4CC this year wasn't worth the risk, even though it may mean their season end might be Nationals. Looking at the dance selection, Green/Parsons (Olymp 1st alts) are going to 4CC, so possibly they were presented with and made a different choice. However, dance doesn't have one of the top three out with positive covid test. Pairs and ladies does, so there is a very real possibility looming that the PCR test results for the affected skaters, will not go negative in time to fulfill travel requirements for China.

I have a strong feeling that the USA is planning to get all the first alternates credentialed and prepared to travel to China all the way up until the moment when team members have to step on the departure flight. I'm sure USFS would like to actually take the first alts to China if they can, but that decision is probably in the hands of the USOC and/or the Chinese.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Since none of us know exactly what went down, I think some of this outrage about C/J is misplaced, or premature. Given the problem with the crud and the knowledge that EVERY travel and competition situation poses a risk, I can easily see the scenario where USFS chose the Olympic alternates and then presented the first alternate with a choice as to whether they wanted to risk going to 4CC, or stay as bubbled as possible with the possibility they will need to be called on to go to the Olympics. C/J may have been given the choice, and decided 4CC this year wasn't worth the risk, even though it may mean their season end might be Nationals. Looking at the dance selection, Green/Parsons (Olymp 1st alts) are going to 4CC, so possibly they were presented with and made a different choice. However, dance doesn't have one of the top three out with positive covid test. Pairs and ladies does, so there is a very real possibility looming that the PCR test results for the affected skaters, will not go negative in time to fulfill travel requirements for China.

I have a strong feeling that the USA is planning to get all the first alternates credentialed and prepared to travel to China all the way up until the moment when team members have to step on the departure flight. I'm sure USFS would like to actually take the first alts to China if they can, but that decision is probably in the hands of the USOC and/or the Chinese.
That makes a lot of sense. And I hesitate to say this but whether there is even a 4CC this year is questionable. All of our alternates better be very ready to compete on very little notice. I hope the alternates all go to China and stay secluded in a bubble, just in case.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Since none of us know exactly what went down, I think some of this outrage about C/J is misplaced, or premature. Given the problem with the crud and the knowledge that EVERY travel and competition situation poses a risk, I can easily see the scenario where USFS chose the Olympic alternates and then presented the initial first alternate selection with a choice as to whether they wanted to risk going to 4CC, or stay as bubbled as possible with the possibility they will need to be called on to go to the Olympics. C/J may have been given the choice, and decided 4CC this year wasn't worth the risk, even though it may mean their season end might be Nationals. Looking at the dance selection, Green/Parsons (Olymp 1st alts) are going to 4CC, so possibly they were presented with and made a different choice. However, dance doesn't have one of the top three out with positive covid test. Pairs and ladies does, so there is a very real possibility looming that the PCR test results for the affected skaters, will not go negative in time to fulfill travel requirements for China.

Those were exactly my thoughts. I didn't necessarily see C/J being slighted in the least. With Brandon's symptomatic covid status, there's such a strong chance he won't be cleared for Beijing, and C/J will need to go. Of course there is also a chance that Brandon will be fine, so it's a risk, and a difficult situation for everyone.