2023 CS Autumn Classic Pairs Short Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2023 CS Autumn Classic Pairs Short Program

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you 👑 Deanna and your consort Maxime for saving this competition.

Elegance, expression, and strength. I'll forgive the breathing (yes I know the name of the tune is "Oxygène)

:hap10:
Nic and Emma started it well... Deanna and Max ended it well... For those like me who are catching up... and have watched only the first team, skipped to the last and then watched RR, it was 2 great skates and one moonlight disaster

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’m just catching up. I just finished watching this event.

Max and Deanna were phenomenal. Excellent twist. I loved their lifts. Excellent.
The Japanese team were not good. I too, was surprised at the low scores.
Nic 😍; Looks so great in his outfit. My fave team. I was expecting them to score in the 60’s. So, I was kind of sad when I saw their scores. I will be rooting for them to hold on to the bronze medal tmrw. They need a score of over 154 overall to meet the Skate Canada criteria. Also, hoping the other Canadian team of Raine and Caidence attains this goal too. Loving the Canadian Pairs competition. These were the 5th and 6th Pairs at Canadian Nationals last year. I would love for them to get one more event.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I could see why Liu/ Nagy were put behind Emma/Nic, but honestly, L/N's triple twist is huge and they have great style. They are still adjusting to each other as a team, but individually they each have veteran pairs experience. L/N's twist should be rated very high, and the overall quality of their other elements should be given more credit. Chelsea does have a consistent problem with jump landings, I think because of her long legs. She needs to find a way to get her free leg around faster. In any case, L/N's style and presentation is much higher than Miura/Kihara's.

So true! For my part, I was so happy to see Chelsea smiling, 😍enjoying their presentation and style, having a bit of fun. Though I was re-watching Friday morning (because of a standing all-day Thursday date) I watched the warm-ups, and I thought she looked quite nervous. She certainly turned the performance on! I think Balazs is a wonderful partner for her. I really look forward to seeing more of them. (ETA: re-watching, I also noticed Chelsea's beautiful expressiveness, both facially and with her upper body. Lovely!)

What a fabulous skate from Deanna and Max! :rock: They really saved this part of the competition. (although Nicholas and partner started it out in a lovely way!) It felt like Deanna and Max really cared how they skated, for the audience, for each other, for themselves. Everything was so on point, so precise and always attentive to the beauty and elegance of every movement. I love their lifts, and when they incorporate that movement where her leg is pointing straight to the ceiling ... well, that's one of my favorites of theirs.

I heard an interview with Deanna when she said she does an extra 3 hours of recovery every night (seems like that's on top of the regular).

I support @4everchan's reminder of Max and Deanna's pairing. They found something together and knew it right away. Sometimes you have to do what's best for yourself. And that can be very hard.

Also, reading @4everchan's translation of the lyrics ... hmmm. I'm going to have to forget it immediately! LOL. Sometimes ignorance is more blissful. Although the first verse did remind me of the bridge Paul McCartney wrote and sang for "A Day in the Life"

Woke up, fell out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
And looking up I noticed I was late
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat ...

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So true! For my part, I was so happy to see Chelsea smiling, 😍enjoying their presentation and style, having a bit of fun. Though I was re-watching Friday morning (because of a standing all-day Thursday date) I watched the warm-ups, and I thought she looked quite nervous. She certainly turned the performance on! I think Balazs is a wonderful partner for her. I really look forward to seeing more of them.

What a fabulous skate from Deanna and Max! :rock: They really saved this part of the competition. (although Nicholas and partner started it out in a lovely way!) It felt like Deanna and Max really cared how they skated, for the audience, for each other, for themselves. Everything was so on point, so precise and always attentive to the beauty and elegance of every movement. I love their lifts, and when they incorporate that movement where her leg is pointing straight to the ceiling ... well, that's one of my favorites of theirs.

I heard an interview with Deanna when she said she does an extra 3 hours of recovery every night (seems like that's on top of the regular).

I support @4everchan's reminder of Max and Deanna's pairing. They found something together and knew it right away. Sometimes you have to do what's best for yourself. And that can be very hard.

Also, reading @4everchan's translation of the lyrics ... hmmm. I'm going to have to forget it immediately! LOL. Sometimes ignorance is more blissful. Although the first verse did remind me of the bridge Paul McCartney wrote and sang for "A Day in the Life"

Woke up, fell out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
And looking up I noticed I was late
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat ...
I guess the song resonates more when you heard it without the skating and when you know the artist.... It really depicts the crazy life of some people who just wake up and work work work and have no time to breathe... look at the singer perform it... the costume, the "running" and the crowd.... now you will understand why this could lit up the crowd at worlds

it is an iconic song in QuĂŠbec sung by an iconic artist, Diane Dufresne.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
3rd season for them, others here are in their second or first.
fair play to them, though - there's not much funding available for British skaters, and most have to combine full-time work with practice/training - and I'm almost certain Luke and Anastasia fall into this category.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Is Diane Dufresne Quebec’s answer to Kate Bush?

I love their lifts, and when they incorporate that movement where her leg is pointing straight to the ceiling ... well, that's one of my favorites of theirs.

I have been referring to this lift as the ”orchid lift” after the ending position of Sale / Pelletier’s Rach 2 free program. Have Deanna and Max done this lift previously? I can’t remember.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Diane Dufresne Quebec’s answer to Kate Bush?

I have been referring to this lift as the ”orchid lift” after the ending position of Sale / Pelletier’s Rach 2 free program. Have Deanna and Max done this lift previously? I can’t remember.
Yes, in the first year or two of their partnership. Or at least that "straight-leg-pointing-up" movement in a lift. I was afraid they'd given it up, and am happy to see it again! Alexa Scimeca did it (maybe just one season) years ago with Chris, but they dropped it for whatever reason. It must take very strong abs in the woman.