2023 Four Continents Practice thread | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents Practice thread

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Some notes on men’s practice today—

Team Japan showing off some spectacular jumping (Miura, Sato), beautiful light touch on ice from Sato, first rate spinning from Shimada
@4everchan’s son Conrad Orzel looked spectacular in practice—the improvement since last season, and even since Nationals! Is amazing. Whatever you are doing, Conrad, please continue
Junhwan Cha is so cool, he doesn’t even bother with Team Korea jacket as he takes the ice, because, you know, he looks best in black :) Ran through his SP, looked great, and when things got a bit dull with folks at the boards chatting with coaches, etc, he decided to put on a show by busting out the cantilever and Ina Bauer. Such a showman (as is Darian Kaptich of Australia)
Team USA men all had rough practices, poor Max Naumov having an especially difficult time with nothing working for him. His rising frustration as he tried and tried was so obvious (watch, he’ll kill it tomorrow)
And Boyang Jin is back! With a program that suits him perfectly, Seven Nations Army with a combo perfectly timed to the music. If he could hit those jumps, this could be a wow.

I’ll do Dance later. Not at all surprised to hear Wolfkostin & Chen have split; have heard a first hand report of their body language towards each other at competition earlier this season.

Currently waiting for pairs practice to start.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Some notes on men’s practice today—

Team Japan showing off some spectacular jumping (Miura, Sato), beautiful light touch on ice from Sato, first rate spinning from Shimada
@4everchan’s son Conrad Orzel looked spectacular in practice—the improvement since last season, and even since Nationals! Is amazing. Whatever you are doing, Conrad, please continue
Junhwan Cha is so cool, he doesn’t even bother with Team Korea jacket as he takes the ice, because, you know, he looks best in black :) Ran through his SP, looked great, and when things got a bit dull with folks at the boards chatting with coaches, etc, he decided to put on a show by busting out the cantilever and Ins Bauer. Such a showman (as is Darian Kaptich of Australia)
Team USA men all had rough practices, poor Max Naumov having an especially difficult time with nothing working for him. His rising frustration as he tried and tried was so obvious (watch, he’ll kill it tomorrow)
And Boyang Jin is back! With a program that suits him perfectly, Seven Nations Army with a combo perfectly timed to the music. If he could hit those jumps, this could be a wow.

I’ll do Dance later. Not at all surprised to hear Wolfkostin & Chen have split; have heard a first hand report of their body language towards each other at competition earlier this season.

Currently waiting for pairs practice to start.
:thank: :thank: :thank: I love these inside reports.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Does Amber look good enough to win this event if she skates 2 strong programs? If Isabeau skates her best, I can see her on the podium. Her showing at the GPF was a very pleasant surprise.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Does Amber look good enough to win this event if she skates 2 strong programs? If Isabeau skates her best, I can see her on the podium. Her showing at the GPF was a very pleasant surprise.
I don't know anything about figure skating but judges seem to prefer the ballet style of Isabeau and there are all those high value tricks. I think this is her's to loose.
I prefer seeing. Amber and Bradie and all the artistry of the Asians.
Maybe I will be more impressed with Isabeau when she broadens her music choices.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Pairs notes—

Deanna Stellato looks healthy, no lingering respiratory distress that I could see, thank goodness. They messed up their death spiral, and did it again, and better

Lia Perreira barely clears Trennt’s head in lifts. Trennt had the same issue with prior partner, but Lia is shorter, so I’m not sure why this is still happening

Riku Miura, jump issues on both passes

Chan & Howe had strong run-through, some minor things but landed all jumps, including three jump combo, and all throws

And don’t yell at me, because I enjoy Danny O’Shea‘s skating and am happy to see him back on the ice, but this new partnership does not look like a keeper. Young Ellie looks scared, which is not a good thing. She does not look comfortable with the advanced level elements they are doing.

She also looks young enough to be Danny’s daughter, which is not a good look IMHO

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pairs notes—

Deanna Stellato looks healthy, no lingering respiratory distress that I could see, thank goodness. They messed up their death spiral, and did it again, and better
hooray!

Lia Perreira barely clears Trennt’s head in lifts. Trennt had the same issue with prior partner, but Lia is shorter, so I’m not sure why this is still happening

Chan & Howe had strong run-through, some minor things but landed all jumps, including three jump combo, and all throws

all good, informative observations. :thank: So happy to hear Chan/Howe are having good practices!

And don’t yell at me, because I enjoy Danny O’Shea‘s skating and am happy to see him back on the ice, but this new partnership does not look like a keeper. Young Ellie looks scared, which is not a good thing. She does not look comfortable with the advanced level elements they are doing.

She also looks young enough to be Danny’s daughter, which is not a good look IMHO

ugh.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Dance:

No Muramoto/Takahashi at practice (much to my regret)

Chock/Bates did their RD, and he does 75% of the work In it, she mostly poses—but who I am to judge? They’ve gotten this far, so don’t mind me :)

Green/Parsons terrific synchronization, looked great, beautiful twizzles

Rink announcer having a devil of a time pronouncing Ponomarenko, getting it spectacularly wrong both times, very amusing. An unusual amount of two-footed skating for a team of this level.

FB/Sorensen looked very strong. His technical skills actually better than I expected. Lovely connection between them, genuine affectionate smiles for each other as they skate. I approve of this :)

Lauriault/LeGac technically strong and also have a nice connection

Lajoie/Lagha skated into Lauriault/LeGac’s path twice during Lauriault/LeGac’s run-through, and I wasn’t sure how to take that. Once, I can see, maybe an accident. Twice, though?

Aussie team Nette/Westwood scores points with me by skating to both the Macarena (RD) and Meatloaf (FD) in the same season. How many would dare to do something like that?

Wang/Liu—one significant technical issue each during the course of a single program, not off to a great start.

Last edited:

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Rink announcer having a devil of a time pronouncing Ponomarenko, getting it spectacularly wrong both times, very amusing. And as they skated I could barely control myself from yelling out PICK UP YOUR FEET ANTHONY throughout the program because this boy should NOT still be doing this. Scott Moir was not there to witness it (Madison Hubbell, looking very glamorous, was) An unusual amount of two-footed skating for a team of this level.
I had a good laugh over Pomeroo or whatever was said the first time and hoped for better the second time, but noooo 🤨. The announcer sounded a bit like the people who announce the station stops on some of the public transit.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So think my favorite part of practice yesterday was seeing Keegan get accosted by fans seeking pictures. He was happy to oblige, but had to say "hold on Nam" first

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I had a good laugh over Pomeroo or whatever was said the first time and hoped for better the second time, but noooo 🤨. The announcer sounded a bit like the people who announce the station stops on some of the public transit.
More like Charlie Brown,s parents Lol!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Pairs notes—

Love C/H, love Danny O. Tough to find right partner in a country where ....what? One in a million people make it to senior pairs level? What percentage in the US make it to college football/basket ball? Pairs is 100 times harder than those sports...my hat is off to them...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
They are not here.
I am kind of surprised that these skaters get the choice to not compete and fly off to Europe to make money. The men's is wide open. I was hoping to hear Messing do the quad lutz but I think he has given up and is just coasting to the finish line. Hoping everyone stays healthy.