2023 Four Continents Practice thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents Practice thread

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am kind of surprised that these skaters get the choice to not compete and fly off to Europe to make money. The men's is wide open. I was hoping to hear Messing do the quad lutz but I think he has given up and is just coasting to the finish line. Hoping everyone stays healthy.
Keegan has not given up but his body is tired from years of training. Keegan has a family life which will continue after skating :) I wouldn't want him to injure himself and lessen his life quality afterwards, just for the sake of an elusive quad lutz.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Keegan is in his 30's now. He has a wife and children to think about and I'm sure they're never far from his heart and mind. The fact that he hasn't retired tells me he's not "Coasting" He did enough to win his second National Title and I know that must have been very special for him and his family.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The reason there were no practice broadcasts was NBC chose not to spend the money. Peacock. Can NOT watch. If J/T Rusty Romeo are here, they are avoiding me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not joining the chorus to criticize Peacock. I was one of the IceNetwork subscribers (and I loved everything we got) who got lectured time and time again by folks around here that I shouldn't be paying for it. Now we lost all that wonderful coverage with varied and interesting commentary, lots of out-of-the-box articles that sometimes focused on ideas and creativity rather than the five Ws of journalism, and the archives.

I figure Peacock and NBC are in a hard place to do what fans want and what their corporate bosses demand. Also, I like Rusty (so sue me).

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Keegan is in his 30's now. He has a wife and child to think about and I'm sure they're never far from his heart and mind. The fact that he hasn't retired tells me he's not "Coasting" He did enough to win his second National Title and I know that must have been very special for him and his family.
The child is now plural! Otherwise agree.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The reason there were no practice broadcasts was NBC chose not to spend the money. Peacock. Can NOT watch. If J/T Rusty Romeo are here, they are avoiding me.
Rusty and Romeo are only for US Nationals…wait no…they were at 2016 Worlds also - st least Romeo was. But I don’t think they do 4CCs.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't get me wrong. I'm not joining the chorus to criticize Peacock. I was one of the IceNetwork subscribers (and I loved everything we got) who got lectured time and time again by folks around here that I shouldn't be paying for it. Now we lost all that wonderful coverage with varied and interesting commentary, lots of out-of-the-box articles that sometimes focused on ideas and creativity rather than the five Ws of journalism, and the archives.

I figure Peacock and NBC are in a hard place to do what fans want and what their corporate bosses demand. Also, I like Rusty (so sue me).
I loved it too. We lost soo much when they pulled it (and yes I paid for it even though I would wait for a coupon). I used to love Tonia Kwaitkowskis quiet gentle commentary. So much better than Tara’s screeching and stripper heels.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had a good laugh over Pomeroo or whatever was said the first time and hoped for better the second time, but noooo 🤨. The announcer sounded a bit like the people who announce the station stops on some of the public transit.
Hey I can pronounce it. I’ve certainly heard it many many many many times.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am kind of surprised that these skaters get the choice to not compete and fly off to Europe to make money. The men's is wide open. I was hoping to hear Messing do the quad lutz but I think he has given up and is just coasting to the finish line. Hoping everyone stays healthy.
Sure wish Jason were here. BTW, the USFS gets a piece of the pie when their skaters apply to make money, or used to...Am and prof are blurred

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

I agree about ice net work. I don't mind paying for something and getting what I am promised.
NBC is a corp and answers to stock holders. And lawyers. My critisism of NBC and USFS is all about honesty and openess. Rusty was way toned down at nats and it was not his fault his audio level was twice what the annou cers was.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Neither are entered.

I was about to get all high and mighty about how EVERYONE should know that Jason and Ilia were not at 4CC... we talked about it so much during Nationals.

Then I remembered that earlier I was looking for Andrew T's Short Program results. :bang::bang::bang:

Once more for the record: There is no overlap between the US Men's 4CC contingent and the prospective World's team. (Assuming Andrew gets his minimums and alternates are not called upon).

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Well, it doesn’t matter now that Ilia and Jason are not here, does it? Because Mr Jimmy Ma turned in a pretty epic SP last night, it was thrilling to witness. I hope all of you watching at home saw the whole audience rising to its feet to give him a well-deserved standing ovation!

Just got back from dance practice; yes, I woke up at 6 to get to rink by 6:30. And oh my, are we in for a treat today. That last group especially, is just awesome.

And Green & Parsons have a terrific draw, skating last. Their fate is in their hands. Bring it on, dancers!

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will say that F-B/S have been looking very strong in practice as well. If anyone beats Chock & Bates here, they would be my candidate for Most Likely
They are a really strong team. I love watching them. She is really both great athlete and beautiful.