2023 Grand Prix Espoo Practice Reports | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023 Grand Prix Espoo Practice Reports

Biibi

Rinkside
Country
Finland
Men's first group in order was: Arlet FS, Makar SP, Nikita (Backstreet Boys), Kao FS, Shun SP and Koshiro FS.

Kao had really nice jumps and he also fell a couple. After one fall he starfished a little while and continued with a big smile. Then couple moments later he fell again and even slided onto the board but didn’t hurt himself. It was a humorous moment. I think Kao doesn’t have difficulties with this ice so he got many succesful jumps done. I admired his really deep running edge.

Shun did good too, I love that tango SP it suits him well. Nice jumps some falling. One seemed quite nasty and he was holding his lower back after that. I hope it’s not something that a sauna can’t fix.

Second group in order: Kevin, Nikolaj, Matteo, Ivan, Liam and Jimmy. All FS.

I don’t have much coherent to say because I filmed Kevin’s runthrough for a friend and there was so much to see.
Kevin did good and seemed content. He practiced jumps after his turn and they went fine.

Nikolaj had both boots heavily taped, they seemed like a matching pair but I’m not 100% sure. When there was 10 minutes or so practice time left I noticed he had heavy padding in his behind. Like he stuffed two bath sponges in his pants.

Matteo seemed to practice and do more stuff in this practice than in Canada. I remember Kevin Reynolds say that usually he doesn’t do much. It’s always so satisfying to watch Matteo’s skating and my mind wondered to the magical night of EC mens’s Free Skate when he skated the lights and hearts out.
Matteo was smiling a lot during his runthrough.

Ivan was using his phone, maybe his coach was on the line. I haven’t seen Ivan’s programs earlier so I don’t know if he changed the ending or is he saving the dramatical dying on ice for the competition. Or is it in the SP?

I didn’t follow much Liam’s runthrough. Jimmy’s jumps were good or I just have blocked the bad ones out of my mind. I was waiting for the awesome step seq which he delivered.

During the last minutes they played Bee Gees Stayin alive and both Matteo and Jimmy danced to the beat when they were skating around the rink. It was funny, too bad I wasn’t quick enough to capture that on video.

Biibi

Rinkside
Country
Finland
@NoNameFace I agree with so many of your notes! I want to ask you did it seem to you that Madi & Evan were quite a lot in other dancers way?
Also when CPom was doing their dance pirouette in the center and I believe it was their Perfume music playing, Chock&Bates came really close to them do their stationary lift or whatever that is when Madi is standing on Evans boot. Like trying to steal CPom’s spotlight. There was some other oddities as well. In the first group there wasn’t this many near collisions.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
@NoNameFace I agree with so many of your notes! I want to ask you did it seem to you that Madi & Evan were quite a lot in other dancers way?
Also when CPom was doing their dance pirouette in the center and I believe it was their Perfume music playing, Chock&Bates came really close to them do their stationary lift or whatever that is when Madi is standing on Evans boot. Like trying to steal CPom’s spotlight. There was some other oddities as well. In the first group there wasn’t this many near collisions.
Honestly I'm glad for once my 'paranoid' thought about C/B indeed looking like getting into way of other teams during these teams' run-throughs has someone to validate the impression lol.
I REALLY felt C/B barged quite unceremoniously into few bits of Car/Pom's FD run-through - not really sure if my impression is correct, MAYBE it is about how physical C/B's FD is, I.e. those lifts, tricks do requite space to set them up and do successfully. It left a bit sour taste in my mouth overall, but it is me and my tired eyes. Hope you had a fab time!! :)

Biibi

Rinkside
Country
Finland
Oh and after dance practices ended there came a pair on ice. I didn’t recognise them right away but I learned it was Pavlova and Sviatchenko. One lady told me that Maria had been all alone the whole first group of pairs. So they got to practice on an empty ice together. I have no idea what’s the story behind this.

Biibi

Rinkside
Country
Finland
Honestly I'm glad for once my 'paranoid' thought about C/B indeed looking like getting into way of other teams during these teams' run-throughs has someone to validate the impression lol.
I REALLY felt C/B barged quite unceremoniously into few bits of Car/Pom's FD run-through - not really sure if my impression is correct, MAYBE it is about how physical C/B's FD is, I.e. those lifts, tricks do requite space to set them up and do successfully. It left a bit sour taste in my mouth overall, but it is me and my tired eyes. Hope you had a fab time!! :)
It really was weird since Evan kept looking closely other pairs and then all of a sudden they were blocking that pairs way. At one point Mrazeks and some other pair was on the short end talking to their coaches, standing really close to border. Then there comes Madi and Evan full speed with their one foot steps or something, after Patrick and Scott yelled warning sounds the Mrazeks and other pair had to step away..

And yes I also felt that they were particularly trying to shadow CPom. That quite aggressive way to mark their territory left me also with a foul taste.

Otherwise I did have a nice day 😊 Hope you did too and get well rested before tomorrow!!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Thanks everyone for your practice reports! Most appreciated. Disturbing to hear about Chock and Bates' "territory-marking" behaviour, if intentional. They should know better. Fingers crossed for Team Japan and wishing all competitors a good fight!

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Thanks to everyone posting practice reports! 🥰🫶

Now that the first group of men started, Shun and Kao are in this, I think both Okajima-sensei and Noriko-sensei are here.

No Stephane with Koshiro, just Angelo.
Thank you so much for answering my "coach" request
I really appreciate all your time and effort :thank:

Only question I have now is...if both Okajima and Noriko-sensei are there (🤞:pray:) ...who's accompanying their skaters competing at Junior Nationals this weekend? 🤔
oops...Sorry, OT

3Lz?...3Lz?!!! 😲:drama:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Hello everyone! Full after breakfast and energised by coffee on my way to the arena!
20231117_080755.jpg

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Guys, I'm SO sorry about no practice reports from today:(
I got busy with crafting, watching, posting stuff on Twitter and trying to eat something in between.
I clearly took crafting bite too big to chew on this time. Let's hope I can somehow make it happen tomorrow.
Don't worry about it, the folks on the ground at Goldenskate have been doing a wonderful job! Just focus on enjoying yourself as the first priority!