2023 Grand Prix Espoo Pairs Free Skate | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2023 Grand Prix Espoo Pairs Free Skate

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lol. I was so wrong. They dropped into 4th. 😱 Germans win, I am surprised. I guess missed levels on multiple elements which are less striking errors + that double salchow REP hurt the score. And the judges were much less generous with components than personally I would be for the Chinese. I guess I am not as good at predicting results based on what I just saw.

When I watched I must've missed things that would cause their score to drop, other than not having a combo in the program.

Weathergal

Medalist
Oh dear, off the podium even? Didn't expect that.

Lol. I was so wrong. They dropped into 4th. 😱 Germans win, I am surprised. I guess missed levels on multiple elements which are less striking errors + that double salchow REP hurt the score. And the judges were much less generous with components than personally I would be for the Chinese. I guess I am not as good at predicting results based on what I just saw.

I didn't either. I'm kinda shocked by that.
I was not expecting 4th for them. I would have 3rd and 4th reversed - and not just because of my predictions. LOL But I can kind of understand, too, with the completely missed combo and low SBS jump scores.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1994 olympics... i focused on Josée Chouinard. I don't remember anything else ;)

I always wished for more international success for her, I enjoyed watching her skate.

I remember an event she took part in after she turned pro, she skated to "Moon River", and she won. I was so happy for her.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I was not expecting 4th for them. I would have 3rd and 4th reversed - and not just because of my predictions. LOL But I can kind of understand, too, with the completely missed combo and low SBS jump scores.

TBF I often block out SBS jumps from my memory and focus on other elements and the program as a whole as I'm too used to even top teams messing up those so I learnt to forget about those to derive most pleasure from Pairs after watching this sport for so long. 😂 I just enjoyed the Chinese the most so I had a bias.

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Did Peng/Wang really just forget the combo or did they deliberately planned not to do it to try aiming for clean?

If they just forgot..... it's exactly like Ami Nakai in Japanese Nats last year, missing the podium due to forgetting a combo :palmf:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Hello, let's hope I can deliver...
20231118_160840.jpg

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
When I watched I must've missed things that would cause their score to drop, other than not having a combo in the program.

I guess they were reviewing it after they finished and only then they began noticing and reducing values based on flaws/lacking features as in their Pair Spin.