2023 JGP PGE Solidarity Cup Women's Short Program | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2023 JGP PGE Solidarity Cup Women's Short Program

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I didn't look at the score box but it really was the GOEs, right?
Much of it was probably not the GOE but the levels - I think Rena had all level 4s, and Minsol lost a level each on one of her spins and the Step sequence (unless they changed it during the review). With the same GOE of +3, that would already amount to 1.3 points.
We'll have to wait for the protocols.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I just noticed - she was born in Nepal! :jaw:

Given that she has a middle name from that part of the world, I take it her mother is Nepalese.

Have we ever had a figure skater representing Nepal? 🤔

CaroLiza_fan
or her mom is Spanish but thought it was cool her daughter was born in Nepal so they gave her that middle name :)

but to answer your question : Nepal is not an ISU member, so at this point, good luck trying to find a skater representing Nepal.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
or her mom is Spanish but thought it was cool her daughter was born in Nepal so they gave her that middle name :)

That is also plausible. Hadn't thought of that option.

I just thought of another possibility. You know the way that the Spanish naming custom is:

Given Name(s)​
Dad's Surname​
Mum's Surname​

I just assumed that this was a case of the ISU just using her Dad's surname on the Bio for simplicity. (Like is done with most Spanish skaters).

But, it could be that the ISU got confused and that Vandhana is not a middle name but is her Dad's surname. And that Garnacho is her Mum's surname. In which case, it would be a Nepalese father and a Spanish mother.

I am getting really fascinated and want to know more about this girl!

but to answer your question : Nepal is not an ISU member, so at this point, good luck trying to find a skater representing Nepal.

Drat!

But, they do seem to be trying to promote ice sports in Nepal. There was an event called "Skate Nepal" held on Lake Gokyo in February 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3dfJ7P0C2A

And here is an American skater on the same lake a few months earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYAwGhUBCpk

So, hopefully they will gain ISU memebrship.

CaroLiza_fan

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I caught up on some of the earlier skaters, and can only keep my fingers crossed that there will be rallying in free skate from group 2, as there were some really frustrating mistakes there...

Country
Norway
I wanted a good skate for @norwegianfairytale 's sake, but :(
I think Linnea is the Norwegian 🌵, like she did her SP clean just like one week ago, and today she imploded her jumps and literally scored 20 points lower then last week :dbana: And last week she messed up her FS. But hopefully that means she will have stronger FS tomorrow 😅

I´m not sure it´s wise she is doing 3 weeks back to back competition. She is doing Finlandia next week also. She wasn´t supposed to do this JGP, but Pernille With is out with an ankle injury and Linnea was the sub.

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I need to know what they're doing to the junior girls in Japan and South Korea. They're miles ahead of the rest of the field.
JSF made system in 1992. Initial goal was 1998 Nagano but couldn't be in time.
It actually began to make results after 2002 SLC.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I need to know what they're doing to the junior girls in Japan and South Korea. They're miles ahead of the rest of the field.
I wonder too what is their programs. Of course there are top schools like Konoshita academy in Japan (i don't know if there is an equivalence in South Korea) that have many skaters in JGP but there are also skaters from other schools/coaches.
Japan always have been in top 2 countries. Except in 2019-2020 and 2021-2022 when South Korea was clearly superior and put Japan in 3rd place.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I wonder too what is their programs. Of course there are top schools like Konoshita academy in Japan (i don't know if there is an equivalence in South Korea) that have many skaters in JGP but there are also skaters from other schools/coaches.
Japan always have been in top 2 countries. Except in 2019-2020 and 2021-2022 when South Korea was clearly superior and put Japan in 3rd place.
Ted and Mark were chatting indicating that there is one major school in Korea. Korean women were strong for as long as I was watching, but dinged on URs and GOE. So it makes sense that they are the ones who moved into the opening left by R, though China is looking like they are making a push. And, like, Switzerland...