2023 JGP PGE Solidarity Cup Men's Free Skate | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2023 JGP PGE Solidarity Cup Men's Free Skate

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does that mean he too will go to the final?
If there is a weird result next week, yes. Hagara is above him in the standings because he won gold at his first event. Juheon got gold, so he got 28. Beck is in 6th right now after everything. There's a chance, but not the best after next week. He'll certainly be an alternate at the least.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I think it's between Beck and Daniel for JGPF, Shunsuke could alter the medal positions even though he's out of the running for the final...very open competition indeed.

Thank goodness there's a break until the last event, praying not to see any more falls today. Junior ice dance ftw!!

brblja

Rinkside
I would argue that even in senior competitions they should be stopped if it's clear to see they are injured and there's a huge risk when they jump again
same as when their lace are loose or something
Technically, the rule book states that the competitor MUST stop if they’re injured in the ice, and then depending on the length of interruption and the medical official call they might be allowed to continue with a deduction or be withdrawn. However, I don’t think I recall that happening in recent times, even in cases explicitly named as examples in the code (like nosebleeds).

I think last year we had one of those athlete-initiated interruptions but it was for a technical issue with a skate rather than injury.

The referee is also allowed to stop the program if the athlete doesn’t make the r call themselves, and tbh I’m very surprised this did not happen here, especially after he kept jumping after the first fall and it looked like the twisted his ankle a second time later on. :/

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I feel traumatised from that despite not watching all of Yudong's skate. I'm going to catch up on the women's free from yesterday (haven't watched any of it yet) and hope that provides a tonic.

Congratulations to all the skaters and to the medalists. Also to Adam Hagara who has now made the GP final. No-one can knock him out of the top 6 next week, although Daniel Martynov can overtake in the standings with a win. I think it's between the two Americans for the last GPF spot?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I have to say guys...Juheon, Beck and Daiya kept their crowns like pros after getting them. In my house, I respect men not afraid of flower crown and those three were the best to my heart today. I will have to hunt fir some pics :).
Beck was not perfect, but he brings such promise. He breathes performance in every second.
Juheon is a showman. My crew was vibing to that program and how he performed it.
Daiya had great comeback skate.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I feel traumatised from that despite not watching all of Yudong's skate. I'm going to catch up on the women's free from yesterday (haven't watched any of it yet) and hope that provides a tonic.

Congratulations to all the skaters and to the medalists. Also to Adam Hagara who has now made the GP final. No-one can knock him out of the top 6 next week, although Daniel Martynov can overtake in the standings with a win. I think it's between the two Americans for the last GPF spot?
Women's free was great!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Technically, the rule book states that the competitor MUST stop if they’re injured in the ice, and then depending on the length of interruption and the medical official call they might be allowed to continue with a deduction or be withdrawn. However, I don’t think I recall that happening in recent times, even in cases explicitly named as examples in the code (like nosebleeds).

I think last year we had one of those athlete-initiated interruptions but it was for a technical issue with a skate rather than injury.

The referee is also allowed to stop the program if the athlete doesn’t make the r call themselves, and tbh I’m very surprised this did not happen here, especially after he kept jumping after the first fall and it looked like the twisted his ankle a second time later on. :/
I saw it a year or two ago, in dance in the separate league, two junior dancers stopped, let the guy skate out a cramp, ate the penalty and continued on. Nobody was injured as a result of his problem.

In JWC in Calgary referee stopped Suntsev for untied strap, even though he only had steps left. Which is dangerous, i understand, but infinitely more so was Chen who everyone knew was competing already injured, falling, limping and falling again.

Seriously, would anyone NOT have stopped him if you were there and could?

Basically, medical staff and referee should get more power to stop programs.

Of course, this being a junior competition, nobody cares 🙄 they jumped into action to raise age limit on a drop of a pin with some waffle, waving the flag of protecting teens, but there you go. Aparently, the teens can break their backs, and they wouldn't bother to blow a whistle and stop it from happening. Shame on the referee in Gdansk and shame on the coach. They could have stopped the guy who was obviously unfit to compete and they didn't.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say guys...Juheon, Beck and Daiya kept their crowns like pros after getting them. In my house, I respect men not afraid of flower crown and those three were the best to my heart today. I will have to hunt fir some pics :).
Beck was not perfect, but he brings such promise. He breathes performance in every second.
Juheon is a showman. My crew was vibing to that program and how he performed it.
Daiya had great comeback skate.

That is wonderful, Beatrice.

True skating kings 👑👑👑 are the men who own and delight in your beautiful flower crown.:clap:

zebobes

Final Flight
He has the highest score on the JGP this season, but will be the only gold medalist not to make it. :( Let's hope he's out for blood at Jr Worlds then 💪

With three strong junior men, and only two spots, it’s not a guarantee that he will get junior worlds. I hope he will be there as I would love to see him live, but you never know what might happen at those Korean ranking competitions.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
With three strong junior men, and only two spots, it’s not a guarantee that he will get junior worlds. I hope he will be there as I would love to see him live, but you never know what might happen at those Korean ranking competitions.
Yes, of course, but I don't think it is for nothing that Minkyu has the highest score out of these three with the simplest layout (he did only one 3A vs. Juheon's three 3As and Hyungyeom's two 3As + 4T).

As long as he lands his 3A in the Free he should at least rank second, even in Senior competitions where Hyungyeom can do a 4T in the Short. There's no guarantee he will be able to land it, obviously, but he has a lot of time to prepare for Nationals. Doing fewer competitions sometimes has its benefits.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Exactly, especially since Seo Minkyu notably wasn’t at Junior Worlds last year because Kim Hyungyeom beat him at Nationals. I didn’t sound off about how silly KFed is because I watched Korean Nationals last year and liked what I saw from Kim Hyungyeom and knew he’ll place in the top 10 at Junior Worlds.

KFed doesn’t choose spots based on a combination of results/scores at international competition and Nationals like every other federation. They chose spots only by their ranking competitions and Nationals results and they’re going to stand by them, too.

But last year isn’t the same as this year because there are more spots on both the senior and junior level. If KFed did what they did last year with Kim Chaeyeon, then Kim Hyungyeom will be named only to the Worlds team if he does well enough at Nationals as he’s age eligible with minimums. So Seo could make the Junior Worlds team even if he’s off the Nationals podium, but not if two junior-junior (not junior-senior) men beat him.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Via Daiya Ebihara IG 😎
Screenshot_20231001-100433_Chrome.jpg