2023 NHK Trophy Entries | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023 NHK Trophy Entries

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Seems unlikely that a lower-ranked skater with no original assignments would get two spots.
Yet he did. (I see what I did there) What I meant is that skaters with 0 assignments, lower on the list, managed to get a spot in the end.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just to make clear : nothing personal against the Selevko bros ;) being unhappy about his selection has to do with the hosts not the skater :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
He didn't. Aleksandr had no other GP assignments.
And none of the other men with no initial GP assignments got two assignments in the end either.
You misunderstood my post (because I wasn't clear LOL) "Yet he did" meaning that Aleksandr got a spot being lower and having no assignment. (I see now why I caused that confusion, because the other poster and I had a few exchanges about Selevko and other skaters my "yet he did" is more about choosing someone borderline out of the top ten list... the other poster was referring to Shmuratko (or was it Nikita) in this specific post that it would be unlikely for him to get two spots back to back) There used to be a "tradition" or was it even a rule that skaters with one assignment already would be favoured for replacements. The GPs did that earlier on : some skaters got a second assignments. The last three replacements however were given to skaters without an original selection and below the others with 1 selection. My bad... for misquoting ;) but my point still holds... Selevko, Shmuratko, Starostin etc shouldn't have passed skaters on top of the eligible list.

Last edited:

Crowdproud

On the Ice
Sihyeong Lee withdrew from NHK Trophy.

I'm hoping against hope that Alexander Selevko might get it -- he's the only one of the three Estonian men w/o a GP assignment this season.

Yay -- Alexander has the best result of the three EST men this season so well deserved. I hope he does well in his return to the GP circuit.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That seems unecessarily spiteful.
The top 3 non-Japanese on the replacement list competed in early GP. Mark G, Maksim N, and Conrad O. They were passed by skaters MUCH lower on the replacement list (Stephen, Wesley, Liam got a second post) and then by skaters who were even lower on the list without a spot at all (Nikita, Ivan and now Selevko who was at the lowest eligible spot on the list). Call it spiteful, I call it disappointing for the skaters who are ranked higher and being looked over. I have followed skating for a long time. I don't recall a season where the top 3 kept being disregarded in filling late spots. Not to that extent in any case. Actually, there seemed to be a desire in past seasons to give a chance to those with already one spot to get another outing. If you think about it logically (instead of calling it spiteful), a skater with one outing already, may have a hypothetical chance to gather enough points to qualify for the finals, so they should be prioritized. It's simple reality, nothing else. By selecting skaters lower on the list without a first spot, it simply protects skaters with two spots and it makes GPF access even more unfair.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
The grand prix series is by invitation though, the ranking lists are there for guidance. If the host in Japan wants to invite someone who trains in Estonia rather than in Canada/US to compete (distance), then it's not so surprising? In a way, it gives an opportunity to more skaters?

I do remember a couple of years ago, I think the Korean women skaters with higher SB scores were passed over a few times when replacement skaters were sought. I wish Bekker/Hernandez could have received an assignment, but perhaps that's for another thread.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The grand prix series is by invitation though, the ranking lists are there for guidance. If the host in Japan wants to invite someone who trains in Estonia rather than in Canada/US to compete (distance), then it's not so surprising? In a way, it gives an opportunity to more skaters?

I do remember a couple of years ago, I think the Korean women skaters with higher SB scores were passed over a few times when replacement skaters were sought. I wish Bekker/Hernandez could have received an assignment, but perhaps that's for another thread.
Yes, but there are some rules nevertheless about who is eligible, pretty much, when all of this started, Selevko wasn't eligible and became only eligible when skaters got other spots etc... So passing the top three, giving spots to Liam, Stephen and Wesley made it possible for NHK to invite Selevko who sits after that, on the last eligible spot. Hosts still have to respect that top ten list. It's true they can invite skaters closer to their location and save some money...
BTW Conrad being in Edmonton is 7,800 Kms away from Japan, while an Estonian is 7,000 kms away... doesn't seem like a huge difference to me.. :)

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
By selecting skaters lower on the list without a first spot, it simply protects skaters with two spots and it makes GPF access even more unfair.
Yes it is, but Japan obviously wanted to have more skaters and easier ride for them to the final GP... And I'm not surprised, because I'm pretty sure if USA or Canada are the last hosts of GP they would do the same...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes it is, Japan wanted for their own skaters to have more skaters and easier ride for the final... And I'm not surprised, because I'm pretty sure if USA or Canada are the last hosts of GP they would do the same...
Yes... but this was hypothetical in this case. I don't see anyone from the replacement topping Yuma or Shoma... but it happened before when Osmond won Skate Canada and had 15 points but only one spot... nobody dared to invite her for a second spot... Maybe this is why this is pissing me off ;) I need to let it go :)

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Yes... but this was hypothetical in this case. I don't see anyone from the replacement topping Yuma or Shoma... but it happened before when Osmond won Skate Canada and had 15 points but only one spot... nobody dared to invite her for a second spot... Maybe this is why this is pissing me off ;) I need to let it go :)
Yes, i also remember that, it was a year when i watched her the first time and she still remained my fav North America female skater (y)But what to say, all hosts are calculating in order to promote their own skaters, even if we really didn't need to see some of the host picks from their own country as we saw this year too (Japan maybe has a little bit more advantage because they are the last to host), it is what it is...

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes, i also remember that, it was a year when i watched her the first time and she still remained my fav North America skater (y)But what to say, all hosts are calculating in order to promote their own skaters, even if we really don't need to see some of the host picks from their own country as we saw this year too (Japan maybe has a little bit more advantage because they are last to host), it is what it is...
It is what it is, a good opportunity to rant ;) haha... :) So perhaps, GP order needs to change year after year you know :) so other nations can milk the system too :)

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
(y)
or if someone WD just call the first replacement as it is the case in GPF... And if you don't have a deep pool of skaters for some category, don't necessarily call 3 skaters/teams from your own country...

Last edited: