2023 US Nationals: Men | Thoughts | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 US Nationals: Men | Thoughts

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, the rules were still top two must equal 13 or less.

US had Adam at 6th, Max at 8th and Grant at 10th. 6 plus 8 was more than 13.

Nathan and Jason finished 6th and 7th in 2017, to get the three spots "back".
That was the year they rejected Jason’s petition and sent Grant.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

So proud of Brown! He actually spent more time "defending" Malinin in the press conference that talking about his own skate! More to come on that.

What did Jason say? Can you (or anyone) summarize or paraphrase? Is there a link?

Whether you call it defending or supporting Ilia, it sounds just like what Jason would do. :love2: :points:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The question is do the US men need 3 spots if everyone but Jason and Malinin is super inconsistent? I would rather see someone from a different country get a chance than a third US guy who's just there for the sake of...what? 🤔
Well they earned them for this year, but will they hold them for next year

mrrice

Record Breaker
For me, Jason was the best part of watching the Men this year. He has such a long history in this sport and I remember him all the way back to his Junior days. I was a huge Joshua Farris fan and they were often at the same events. This was a great event filled some really great performances.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
What did Jason say? Can you (or anyone) summarize or paraphrase? Is there a link?

Whether you call it defending or supporting Ilia, it sounds just like what Jason would do. :love2: :points:
Here you go:
"You did a triple Lutz-triple Axel-triple toe at the end of your program, and I did a knee slide and could barely stand up to do the flip,” Brown said to Malinin, sitting next to him at the dais.

“The way you keep pushing the sport is incredible. So don’t stop being you.”

What an absolutely stellar human being! :love:

Amei

Record Breaker
The question is do the US men need 3 spots if everyone but Jason and Malinin is super inconsistent? I would rather see someone from a different country get a chance than a third US guy who's just there for the sake of...what? 🤔

Well spots are based on the previous year so as long as they have 2 that place well at Worlds then a third American man will get a shot the following year.

mrrice

Record Breaker
After going back and looking at Worlds, I see that Vincent and Camden were the skaters that got those 3 spots we have right now. I'm sure that Camden is disappointed with his finish but, he knows he has the goods to get back on the podium if he decides to keep skating.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really loved Jason's two skates but in this world of quads and the scoring system it is hard to say he was robbed. The system may not favour him granted. If this is part of his swan song it is a beautiful ending. I sense a world medal may be his.The impossible dream...

My thoughts are Jason Brown! and although he is a wonderful human being, I mean his sublime skating. My fave programs of his, ever. Especially the short -- but both are wondrous.
I love Jason's skating and quite honestly the Impossible dream is a fitting swan song. Plus it being two years away from the next olympics the tme may be right to say farewell. I do think it was possible for him to win this year's title. I wonder about Ilia's rotations. There may have been some American gifting. He seemed to benefit from some generous judging or turning a blind eye.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Whhhhhhhaaaat????

What happened? Were the rules different?
As el henry noted:

Adam was 6th, Max was 8th, and Grant was 10th. The rule was the same as always: the two highest placements needed to add up to 13 or less for 3 spots. Adam (6) + Max (8) = 14.

I think that was extra infuriating because both Japanese men were extremely sloppy in the FS and yet were scored generously, slipping into 2 and 7...which is 9, meaning that despite skating objectively worse, they benefited overall.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes many other good skates (how have I been sleeping on Sam Mindra?) but since Jason and Andrew T. have been my fav American men for some years now, I'm just savoring the moment. :)
Mindra tested positive for Covid a day before leaving for Nationals last year and missed out competing in the junior event. I believe had he gone, many would have had him on their radar. He's amazing.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He won the bronze at US Nationals Junior men in 2021 and I have been following him at least since then. Possibly before, I’m not 100% sure. Here is a little taste from 2021. https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=265...-3bIke7U6w-_-OdEnHKS4pSfm7Ib4gqNhxmXgmsM&_rdr
Honestly, dear friend, you and @el henry have got to get on the ball.

Y'all know I depend on you both to keep me up to speed with junior skaters!

Water under the bridge now, Samuel is on my radar now for sure!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, dear friend, you and @el henry have got to get on the ball.

Y'all know I depend on you both to keep me up to speed with junior skaters!

Water under the bridge now, Samuel is on my radar now for sure!

To be fair, our friend @moonvine is saying she always knew about Sam. I must (temporarily) hand in my "watches the junior men" card, because I knew the name, but not that he could put out programs like that.

Mea maxima culpa:drama:

noskates

Record Breaker
Sam was outstanding. I even managed to get a picture of him to send to El Henry! The people around us were calling him Baby Jason! And Torgashev was a delightful surprise and Maxim was also a surprise. We watched all the junior competitions and I have to say there is more depth than we originally thought. Keep an eye out for Kirk Haugeto. He's still young but he has a personality larger than life and can jump and spin with the best of them. Just needs some seasoning. This is a building year but there is some substance coming up. Not as sure about the ladies or pairs though -but that's in another thread. Jason was sublime. Every time his name was mentioned or he took the ice for practice the crowd went bonkers. He got 2 very loooong standing ovations after his skates - even longer than Ilia. This is the 5th time I've seen him 'live' and feel so fortunate.

Last edited: