2023 World Junior Women's Free Skate | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2023 World Junior Women's Free Skate

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
If it's who I think you are talking about I think she's an extreme ectomorph with proportions that you normally never in skating because it puts someone at such a disadvantage, high centre of gravity, naturally doesn't build muscle. I don't think she's unhealthy, but of course someone without that natural body type shouldn't be trying to accomplish that kind of build. It's the kind of body you would see in long distance running and not really anything unusual.
Seeing the physical shape after the free skate I do not believe it’s a natural ectomorph body type, that’s why I would be more comfortable if there was health/wellness check. Mental health issues could be masking a lot of self-destructive behaviour and that skater is not a marathon runner nor she comes from an area where the body type is common and she is in glamor professions at extremely early age which is also a risk factor.

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Somehow the concern for the age, physical form, elements performed, length of career and injuries of Japanese, Americans or Koreans are not at all as loud even though I see zero difference in approach by the coaches in those countries. It was particularly clear during this junior worlds, since all the winners were from the same age pool, body type and with the same focus on ultra-c.

Just want to point out that the focus on ultra-c part is not necessarily true for Jia Shin.

I remember reading an interview in which she said she's holding back in learning ultra-c as her team wants her to be a well-rounded skater. And consistently, I've never seen any practice footage of her practicing ultra-c.

It'll be interesting to see how Jia and Mao grow in the next few years, with the seemingly different approach in coaching. I wish them both health and happiness.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Just want to point out that the focus on ultra-c part is not necessarily true for Jia Shin.

I remember reading an interview in which she said she's holding back in learning ultra-c as her team wants her to be a well-rounded skater. And consistently, I've never seen any practice footage of her practicing ultra-c.

It'll be interesting to see how Jia and Mao grow in the next few years, with the seemingly different approach in coaching. I wish them both health and happiness.
It’s clearly visible that Shin puts more emphasis on a balanced approach. I think I could see it in the gala today as her exhibition was the most interesting from the three winners.

rabidline

Final Flight

I also noticed that after her second loss to Mao this season, instead of talking about how she needs to learn 3A or quads to be able to match or compete better with Mao, Jia shared that she's working next week with David Wilson for her new programs. So I have hope that she and her team know how to take their time and grow organically.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jia is only 7 months older than Mao but the cut-off for 2026 Olympics is right between them, so following the rule, I think Jia is only allowed to turn senior exactly on that Olympic season.

Thanks - better than having to wait for years, though!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I would like someone to write up a report of this year's jrs and see where are predictions go for them in three years......
BTW, dont know if this was mentioned but the WMA has now blocked the ladies free at least from US broadcast. Good thing I am Dutch. :laugh: :laugh:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I would like someone to write up a report of this year's jrs and see where are predictions go for them in three years......
BTW, dont know if this was mentioned but the WMA has now blocked the ladies free at least from US broadcast. Good thing I am Dutch. :laugh: :laugh:
I just realized that from the U. S. I can only see a playlist of 13 videos from the Women's FS. Not sure what WMA is but someone who is not on this playlist must have had a music copyright issue. Guess I will be visiting Netherlands later today :biggrin:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I just realized that from the U. S. I can only see a playlist of 13 videos from the Women's FS. Not sure what WMA is but someone who is not on this playlist must have had a music copyright issue. Guess I will be visiting Netherlands later today :biggrin:
Sorry. WMG. Probably stands for World Music Graft. Or something like that....I am not sure.