20th anniversary of the Challenger tragedy | Golden Skate

20th anniversary of the Challenger tragedy

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes. In a 4th grade classroom covering a class for an absent teacher (it was a snowy day). The counsellor walked into the room and quietly told me that the Challenger had exploded. I tried to keep calm about it in front of the kids. During our lunch period (12 to 12:45 PM), many of the teachers came into the school library to watch the horrifying news coverage. :cry:

Justafan

On the Ice
My son was a baby and I was home with him watching it when it happened. It freaked me out and still does when I think of it. Now my "baby" is a 20 year old!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Vividly. The day before, I had decided on the spur of the moment to exercise my prerogative as an 18-year-old and leave home and move up to Oregon. Following a night spent in a motel in Lost Hills, California, the next day I was travelling north on I-5. It was completely foggy, absolutely socked in. Couldn't see more than 5 feet in front of you. I had the radio on and the reports kept coming in; it (the Challenger) was going to go up, no it wasn't going to go up today, no, it's going to go up, no not today, back and forth back and forth. At one point one of the reporters mentioned something about icicles being attached to something or other and the second I heard that I thought If they even try to send that thing up today that thing is gonna blow up. I don't even work for NASA and I could have told you that icicles on ANYTHING around that thing was NOT a good sign. Then the report came about 15 minutes later and as soon as it said "Special Report" I knew EXACTLY what they were going to say. It was really weird.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I sure do!:cry: It was the year my husband took on a job for Boeing in Caribou, ME. Boeing furnished all the employees trailer houses. I was sitting in the living room and seems as if I cried all day. After a while I went next door to my friends and we talked about it. (My husband had retired from Boeing Eng. and hired on for specific jobs.) A whole year away from home is tooooooo long. The year before was in Sacramento and that was a great six months. :frown: :frown2: :boohoo:

heyang

Record Breaker
I was in my 3rd year of college. While getting my things together to leave class, I overheard someone coming into the class say that the Challenger had exploded. Since i didn't have another class, I rushed over the the Student Center lounge to see the news. I've never seen so many people watching TV in that lounge. It was truly a sad day.

JOHIO2

Medalist
I was at a hotel for a job fair. I was waiting for a scheduled interview in a hotel suite and the tv was on. Needless to say, I don't much remember the interview after. And I didn't get that job. My kids were too little to take much notice.