Advice on buying skates online? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Advice on buying skates online?

froo

Rinkside
Yeah based on what I've heard about Risport I would love to try them, but for now I'll just hold out hope that someday in the future they offer something in synthetic materials. I know that my options are limited here if I'm not willing to compromise on leather and have come to terms with this. I'm in one of the most highly concentrated areas for vegetarianism/veganism in the world, so the techs I've spoken to have not been surprised when I bring this up as a requirement and seem to have dealt with it a lot and found solutions that their customers are happy with. I'm going to continue reaching out to various reputable techs in my area to compile as many professional opinions as I can and will try to report back here if I learn anything new!
I just responded to your pain post I think. Wearing boots that are not the right fit for you could be creating/adding to that issue as well. I would definitely not DIY this. If you’re skating at above Jackson Debut boots and think you’ll skate more, a trusted skate tech will be very important in your skating life in all kinds of ways.
I also would suggest don’t mention ice flies etc at all and see What they suggest for your fee/size/skating level. My tech said that he directs people to better fits but a lot of people have their heart set on edeas for one reason or another. if the customer seems set on it and it’s not impossible to make it work sometimes they buy it over a better fitting boot that would last longer etc. in your case if it’s the vegan aspect, you will have that in other options as well. Glad you were able to find some recommended shops in your area . Good luck!

AlySkates

Rinkside
I just responded to your pain post I think. Wearing boots that are not the right fit for you could be creating/adding to that issue as well. I would definitely not DIY this. If you’re skating at above Jackson Debut boots and think you’ll skate more, a trusted skate tech will be very important in your skating life in all kinds of ways.
I also would suggest don’t mention ice flies etc at all and see What they suggest for your fee/size/skating level. My tech said that he directs people to better fits but a lot of people have their heart set on edeas for one reason or another. if the customer seems set on it and it’s not impossible to make it work sometimes they buy it over a better fitting boot that would last longer etc. in your case if it’s the vegan aspect, you will have that in other options as well. Glad you were able to find some recommended shops in your area . Good luck!
Thank you! that is a good point - I will try and get into some properly fitting boots as soon as I can. Truthfully I didn't even realize that they might be the wrong size since I was sized when I got them, but that was just by a pro shop attendant that happened to be working and not necessarily a reputable fitter. It's unfortunate that rinks often dont have experts doing that job and as beginners we don't know any better, since I think I could make my current boots last quite a while longer if they were the right size

froo

Rinkside
Thank you! that is a good point - I will try and get into some properly fitting boots as soon as I can. Truthfully I didn't even realize that they might be the wrong size since I was sized when I got them, but that was just by a pro shop attendant that happened to be working and not necessarily a reputable fitter. It's unfortunate that rinks often dont have experts doing that job and as beginners we don't know any better, since I think I could make my current boots last quite a while longer if they were the right size

yes, I got lucky to find somebody who works with super elite skaters and I can just trust he knows best. so far he has been right about everything. As a beginner we don’t really know but he can move something by less than a millimeter and it helps my Skating. It’s its own area of knowledge. And I find it very common for people to have boots that are too big. I ordered from what I had casually measured, which was probably what the average pro shop guy would’ve done as well, and had to return and re-order two sizes smaller. they are still too big around the ankle and too much room in front of the toe but workable. As you advance though you start doing turns and spins and jumps, that little bit of extra space can throw things off. Ask the good skaters where they get their blades sharpened or where they get fitted. :)