Advice on new boots please! | Golden Skate

Advice on new boots please!

Melrose

Spectator
Hello. I'm an adult skater who has returned to skating after a long break. I'm 165cm and 59kg. As a teenager I skated junior level. Back then I was in extra rigid custom made boots. Eighteen months ago I bought Edea Chorus (255B) and had them heat moulded and they've been OK but I started competing again this year in Adult Silver, skating four times a week and now I find I need to re-lace them three times a session. Also, my backspin has never really come back properly - it's like I can't feel my right pinky toe - very odd. Pretty sure my blade's in the right place though. I've tried the Edea lacing technique but I suspect the boots, while comfortable, are not really what I need as I go back into double jumps. I can't bear having a big gap at the tongue. There's no boot fitter here - options at our rink are Wifa, Risport and Jackson. My feet are narrow and I have dropped arches - I wear orthotics in my running shoes to avoid PF, but not in my skates (yet). I must admit I prefer the idea of leather, but really I just want to make sure the boots are right. I'm also hoping I don't have to buy longer Phantoms as I sold my old ones (10") and am now on 9 1/4" with the Edeas. Loads of people in my rink swear by Ice Fly but I don't want to buy Edea again if I end up having the same problem in the more expensive model. Advice much appreciated, thanks!

I personally can recommend Jackson. I was in Jackson Supreme before I switched to Edea Piano, but it was more a problem of the cut and not of the boot itself. I was able to lace them so that there was no gap between the shoe and my leg.
Some people I know and whk have really narrow feet swear on Riedell boots, my sister is in Riedell Bronze and was in Riedell Gold before. I know you can lace them really tight, too.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello. I'm an adult skater who has returned to skating after a long break. I'm 165cm and 59kg. As a teenager I skated junior level. Back then I was in extra rigid custom made boots. Eighteen months ago I bought Edea Chorus (255B) and had them heat moulded and they've been OK but I started competing again this year in Adult Silver, skating four times a week and now I find I need to re-lace them three times a session. Also, my backspin has never really come back properly - it's like I can't feel my right pinky toe - very odd. Pretty sure my blade's in the right place though. I've tried the Edea lacing technique but I suspect the boots, while comfortable, are not really what I need as I go back into double jumps. I can't bear having a big gap at the tongue. There's no boot fitter here - options at our rink are Wifa, Risport and Jackson. My feet are narrow and I have dropped arches - I wear orthotics in my running shoes to avoid PF, but not in my skates (yet). I must admit I prefer the idea of leather, but really I just want to make sure the boots are right. I'm also hoping I don't have to buy longer Phantoms as I sold my old ones (10") and am now on 9 1/4" with the Edeas. Loads of people in my rink swear by Ice Fly but I don't want to buy Edea again if I end up having the same problem in the more expensive model. Advice much appreciated, thanks!
You may have narrow feet but not narrow enough for Edea, or the width of your foot in the toe box region is a little wider than the rest of your foot and your Edea's don't accommodate that.

Look into Risport Royal Pro and Jackson Elite 5300. You may have to do a semi-custom.
Also, what blades are you in?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You may have narrow feet but not narrow enough for Edea, or the width of your foot in the toe box region is a little wider than the rest of your foot and your Edea's don't accommodate that.

Look into Risport Royal Pro and Jackson Elite 5300. You may have to do a semi-custom.
Also, what blades are you in?
I think they mean they're currently on MK Phantom:
I'm also hoping I don't have to buy longer Phantoms as I sold my old ones (10") and am now on 9 1/4" with the Edeas.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think they mean they're currently on MK Phantom:
I somehow missed that detail. OP, if you are on a phantom and they are mounted correctly you should have no problem spinning on those rockers. Now, because I gave advice about your boots not being right for you, that will cause issue too.

Melrose

Spectator
I somehow missed that detail. OP, if you are on a phantom and they are mounted correctly you should have no problem spinning on those rockers. Now, because I gave advice about your boots not being right for you, that will cause issue too.
Yep I think it’s the boot, as these are my fourth pair of Phantoms and I’ve never had problems before. I’ve contacted Riedell for stockists in Australia, otherwise will try my luck with Risport or Jackson. Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yep I think it’s the boot, as these are my fourth pair of Phantoms and I’ve never had problems before. I’ve contacted Riedell for stockists in Australia, otherwise will try my luck with Risport or Jackson. Thanks!
Personally, I wouldn't put you in a Riedell. Stick to the Jackson or Risport I suggested would be best for you.