ALEXEI the cover-story of fitness magazine | Page 3 | Golden Skate

ALEXEI the cover-story of fitness magazine

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Jaana said:
Well, according to the Blades On Ice magazine Yagudin´s Olympic 6,0´s were a gift. Besides he was the last to skate. His performance in Worlds was excellent, but in my opinion his Olympic performance was not brilliant, it was hesitant and he was playing it safe. And that showed very clearly.

Marjaana

I'm going to have to re-read that issue of Blades on Ice. I don't remember seeing that, but I might have missed it.

I've read this opinion of Alexei's Olympic skate before and I think it just serves to prove the "eye of the beholder" adage. Except for one wonky landing, what I saw was intense focus and concentration from Alexei that night. I was riveted to the television. I don't think any program from any skater that includes one quad done alone and a 4-3-2 could be seen as "playing it safe."

Nan

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NansXOXOX said:
I don't think any program from any skater that includes one quad done alone and a 4-3-2 could be seen as "playing it safe."
That's what I thought too Nan, how could anyone with semi good vision say that skate was playing it safe? I have never thought the skate at Worlds was better. I have watched that Olympic performance many, many times.

Dee

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
I have no idea what this is all about.

My whole point was that Yagudin has so many credits to his name as it is, that there is no need to start making things up just to make him look good.

The quote clearly made it seem like he was the only skater to win Euros, Olys and worlds in the same season, and it's simply not true.

If they meant GPF, Olys and worlds, well then Kulik was his only competition and the guy didn't go to worlds, so it's not like Yagudin suceeded at something Kulik failed at.

I don't think no one is making things up when it is said that Yagudin was the only skater to win Europeans, GPF, Worlds and Olympics.

And I'm not sure why Kulik's name is brought up into this. Yes, it's nitpicking but as far as Kulik not doing the feat of winning the 4 golds because he didn't go to Worlds... sorry, but even if he had won 1998 Worlds, he'd still wouldn't have done it: as far as I can remember, Yagudin was actually the one who won 1998 Europeans.

GPF + Olympics + potentially worlds are not the same than GPF + Olympics + Worlds + Europeans. That's why, correctly, Yagudin is labelled as the only one to have won the 4 major titles of the season and certainly deserves credit for it.

Last edited:

Hermione_Granger

On the Ice
I may have to fly on my broomstick over to my nearest
bookstore and see if I can find it. If not, I'll just have to
order it. I'll find a way to get a hold of that magazine. :D :laugh:

Btw, practicemakesperfekt, interesting history lesson. :)

--Hermione

Zanzibar

Final Flight
ordering

From the AYDG board:

Apparently this magazine can only be ordered from the publisher, unless you already are a subscriber. To order the January-February edition, send a request and $4.50 to:

AFAA
15250 Ventura Blvd., Suite 200
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

Their phone number is 1-800-446-AFAA, but they don't take orders over the phone.

If you're not a member of AFAA, or a subscriber to the mag., looks like you have to order it - they will also mail overseas if you include the postage.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
> RIskatingfan
Kulik not doing the feat of winning the 4 golds because he didn't go to Worlds... sorry, but even if he had won 1998 Worlds, he'd still wouldn't have done it: as far as I can remember, Yagudin was actually the one who won 1998 Europeans. >

Actually Ilia did not go to 1998 Europeans either, because of the back injury he was suffering from during the 1997-1998 Olympic season.

Marjaana

Ruby Tuesday

Spectator
RIskatingfan said:
GPF + Olympics + potentially worlds are not the same than GPF + Olympics + Worlds + Europeans. That's why, correctly, Yagudin is labelled as the only one to have won the 4 major titles of the season and certainly deserves credit for it.
RI-skatingfan, don't you get the logic here? Yagudin won all this titles just because Kulik (or skater X, fill the form!) didn't participate, was injured, not in shape, messed up his SP, had a bad day, or maybe only because ice is slippery. :laugh:

Honestly, I find it rather funny how certain posters try to belittle any of Yagudin's achievements, because they obviously cannot bear the thought of him surpassing their idols in so many ways. Or, even worse, had the audacity to take away one important job at SOI from one of those particular idols.

Don't they realize how ridiculous they got? :rolleye:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Honestly, I find it rather funny how certain posters try to belittle any of Yagudin's achievements, because they obviously cannot bear the thought of him surpassing their idols in so many ways. Or, even worse, had the audacity to take away one important job at SOI from one of those particular idols.

I have no idea who you are talking about, but if it was me I can tell you that you are 100% wrong in your assesment.

windspirit

On the Ice
Zanzibar, thanks for the info how to order the magazine. I'm going to do it, what can I say, I'm weak... :laugh:

berthes ghost said:
I have no idea who you are talking about, but if it was me I can tell you that you are 100% wrong in your assesment.
I don't think RT meant you.

Btw, while we are at it, I say Plushy's medals from this and last season don't really count, as there wasn't anyone to really challenge him at those competitions... :rolleye: (just in case: I'M KIDDING!)

Hermione_Granger

On the Ice
Re: ordering

Zanzibar said:
From the AYDG board:

Apparently this magazine can only be ordered from the publisher, unless you already are a subscriber. To order the January-February edition, send a request and $4.50 to:

AFAA
15250 Ventura Blvd., Suite 200
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

Their phone number is 1-800-446-AFAA, but they don't take orders over the phone.

If you're not a member of AFAA, or a subscriber to the mag., looks like you have to order it - they will also mail overseas if you include the postage.

Thanks Zanzibar. :) I'll have to try ordering it. Do you think
they deliver by owl post ? :laugh:

$ 4.50 US Dollars = 15 sickles and 25 knuts.

--Hermione

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
BTW, if the reference was to me, I did not mention that Yagudin did not win all those competitions, actually I congratulated him for his wins. I just mentioned that other skaters have won a triple Crown, Yagudin is not the only one as the writer says. The skaters I was refering to were Dick Button and John Curry. Not Ilia Kulik, LOL.

My other message was just a reply to somebody who mentioned that Kulik could not have won the triple Crown because he did not go to Worlds. That is perfectly true, and I added that he did not even go to Europeans 1998 (because of his back injury). So, it really was an impossibiity for Ilia to win a triple Crown, LOL. Nowhere in this thread did I mention or hint that Yagudin only won those titles because Ilia (or some other skater) was not there.

Nan, BOI June 2002, page 33: "Overall, it was a relatively conservative performance, playing it safe to make sure he had the gold well within his grasp. The four perfect sixes for presentation were generous as this was not, in my opinion, a superb effort - a good job, but not great."

Marjaana

Last edited:

polo player

Spectator
Hey Ladies (and Gents!),

Even a cursory Google search provides ample data supporting Yagudin as the first male Triple Crown winner - and the first in an Olympic season. Seems there may be confusion as some sources appear to be using these events to define the triple crown:
Grand Prix Final, Europeans, Worlds. Some sources then go on, particularly the ISU site, to say Yagudin is the first to win the Quadruple Crown - taking those events in an Olympic season.

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...e+crown+figure+skating+yagudin&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...e+crown+figure+skating+yagudin&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

http://www.2002skateamerica.com/

"Michelle Kwan has just been added to the lineup of competitors at the 2002 Smart Ones Skate America. Kwan, the most decorated skater in U.S. history, replaces the injured Sarah Hughes, reigning Olympic Gold Medalist. Kwan has claimed a record 7 World medals, 6 U.S. titles and has claimed 6 Skate America titles, the most by any skater in the history of the event. Headlining the men's division at Skate America is Alexei Yagudin (RUS). Yagudin is the 2002 Olympic Gold Medalist, 4-time World champion, 3-time European champion, and the first man to ever capture the Triple Crown of figure skating by taking the Grand Prix, European, and World titles all in one season."

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
>Even a cursory Google search provides ample data supporting Yagudin as the first male Triple Crown winner - and the first in an Olympic season. >

That is wrong, because at least Curry and Button have won the triple crown earlier (Europeans, Olympics and Worlds).

>Seems there may be confusion as some sources appear to be using these events to define the triple crown:
Grand Prix Final, Europeans, Worlds. Some sources then go on, particularly the ISU site, to say Yagudin is the first to win the Quadruple Crown - taking those events in an Olympic season.>

Yagudin´s win of Quadruple Crown is of course right.

Marjaana

Last edited:

polo player

Spectator
It is puzzling. Many other sources on the internet cite Yagudin as the first - I think they may be using the Grand Prix Final, Europeans, and Worlds as the events - not Nationals or the Olympics.
Interesting that one article states that at his recent retirement exhibition at Skate Canada, even the Skate Canada commentator announced him to skate as the "First man to ever win the triple crown of figure skating" and it seems if anyone knows figures skating, it's the Canadians!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It just shows that all writers don´t do their homework well... If one needs historical results, this is a good place to find info:

http://www.eskatefans.com/skatabase/majors.html

Triple Crown originally means a win in the same season at the important competitions like Europeans, Olympics and Worlds. Nationals has not been a part of the Triple Crown. BTW, also Karl Schäfer won a triple crown (Europeans, Olympics and Worlds).

Marjaana

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Yagudin´s win of Quadruple Crown is of course right.

It may be true, but it still doesn't have the WOW factor it's suppose to.

Personally, I'm much more impressed by the fact that Yags was THE only Oly Champ of the past 2 games to even compete at worlds that same year. :eek:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
>It may be true, but it still doesn't have the WOW factor it's suppose to. >

Why not?

About athletes not competing in Worlds after the Olympics, it is unfortunate of course, but some skaters did have an injury (like Ilia Kulik for example who was suffering from a back injury during almost the whole season) and didn´t do it because of that. Elvis Stojko, Ilia´s only serious rival in that season, did not participate either (groin injury). Yagudin did give an interview where he among other matters mentiond that he was glad that Stojko and Ilia were not competing in that Worlds...

About Yagudin, of course it was impressive that he participated in the Worlds 2002. To put matters into a perspective though, I also happen to remember that he only appeared on the list of competitors *after* it was clear that Plushenko (his only serious rival) was not able to compete there because of his injury.

Marjaana

Last edited:

polo player

Spectator
Jaana,

You know - that's true! He didn't announce a decision for Worlds until after Plushenko withdrew. I was very disappointed Plushenko did not compete at Worlds, because after his unfortunate fall on his opening quad at the Olympics, it was as if the "war had all but been won" for Yagudin.
Interesting to think that maybe under the new COP system things could be different - a skater could fall on the SP and not be written off. Remember Scott Hamilton or someone's words that "you can't win with the short, but you can lose because of it". Next Olympics, if they use COP, could be a different story for a skater with an error/fall in the SP, which could be one of the positive things about the system.

berthes ghost

Final Flight

Because it's just not an impressive statistic. By singling him out as the only guy to do it it implies that many others tried and failed. If that were true, it would be impressive IMHO.

But considering that the GPF only existed for the past 2 olys, that means that 19 of the 21 Oly mens champs didn't even have a chance. If GPF had existed since the begining, lots of skaters like Dick Button and John Curry probably would have a "quadruple crown" too.

I just think that's it's disengenious to go around saying things like "Jenny Kirk is the only lady in the history of skating to win both junior worlds and 4cc" when both are relatively new events with few competiors. If given the chance, Sonja surely would have won them both.

It's just a silly boast IMHO. Yes, Harding was the first president to speak on the radio, but that doesn't stop him from contiuously coming in last whenever presidents are scored by merit.