Alysa Liu Retires | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu Retires

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Not a popular opinion but I will always believe she has retired for safety reasons. I think there is MUCH more to this story than just a teenager wanting to be "normal" - whatever normal is for a teenager. At her age, being left off of something would be discouraging but it's not like she didn't have at least one more quad in her.
Actually, I think she knew that she DIDN’T have one more quad in her; she seemed quite aware of how much her growth spurt had affected her jumping & had said she had stopped training her quad. She has stated that she’s happy to have achieved what she did without permanent injury — and now wants to move on. Here’s to a very bright future in whatever she chooses next!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not just that, but Alysa had a track record of never allowing nerves to affect her in competition. Of the three girls she was the most dependable, one of the only people I've ever seen who seemed to enjoy the minute they called her name.
That's why I feel it is sad that she's gotten to hate skating to the point she (apparently) has. Other skaters retire, they still skate for pleasure or exercise or whatever. Brian Boitano still does school figures and he's not going to compete again. I hope for her sake she is able to regain enough love for skating that she no longer feels she doesn't want to set foot in an ice rink ever again, and that she has some happy memories from her years competing. They used to love it at one time. That's all.

skatingiscool

On the Ice
That's why I feel it is sad that she's gotten to hate skating to the point she (apparently) has. Other skaters retire, they still skate for pleasure or exercise or whatever. Brian Boitano still does school figures and he's not going to compete again. I hope for her sake she is able to regain enough love for skating that she no longer feels she doesn't want to set foot in an ice rink ever again, and that she has some happy memories from her years competing. They used to love it at one time. That's all.
Once again, you don't know Alysa in person. Why you keep drawing conclusion about Alysa or someone that you even don't know/follow? Did Alysa tell you that "she hates skating" in person? Over the phone? in email? Stop competition doesn't mean she stop skating. Stop spreading rumor on the internet.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Once again, you don't know Alysa in person. Why you keep drawing conclusion about Alysa or someone that you even don't know/follow? Did Alysa tell you that "she hates skating" in person? Over the phone? in email? Stop competition doesn't mean she stop skating. Stop spreading rumor on the internet.
She said she was never going to set foot in an ice rink ever again. Do you think that means she likes skating? I thought it was pretty clear. 🤷‍♀️

skatingiscool

On the Ice
Alysa Liu is happy and all is well. Fans should move on. Haters (Gracie Gold fans, Russian skaters fans, Japanese skaters fans..) should move on too.

Summer vacation. Looks like Mexico.

Alysa's dad is sweet and very supportive of Alysa. See how he is so close to Alysa's friend on vacation!

lo7wm3pwtlh91.png
gli8o4pwtlh91.png

skatingiscool

On the Ice
She said she was never going to set foot in an ice rink ever again. Do you think that means she likes skating? I thought it was pretty clear. 🤷‍♀️
If she really hates skating that much, she could stop performing the shows. She doesn't need money. She is retiring from competition. Alysa Liu never "officially" announce that "she would never ever skate again"

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alysa Liu is happy and all is well. Fans should move on. Haters (Gracie Gold fans, Russian skaters fans, Japanese skaters fans..) should move on too.

Alysa's dad is sweet and very supportive of Alysa. See how he is so close to Alysa's friend on vacation!

lo7wm3pwtlh91.png
gli8o4pwtlh91.png
Where would you get an idea anyone said she was currently unhappy? Why can’t a person be a fan of more than one skater? Good grief.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If she really hates skating that much, she could stop performing the shows. She doesn't need money. She is retiring from competition. Alysa Liu never "officially" announce that "she would never ever skate again"
I don’t know what you count as being “official.” She stated she was never setting foot in an ice rink again. She skated SOI because she had a contractural obligation. As far as I know she’s not doing any more shows.

katymay

Medalist
Actually, I think she knew that she DIDN’T have one more quad in her; she seemed quite aware of how much her growth spurt had affected her jumping & had said she had stopped training her quad. She has stated that she’s happy to have achieved what she did without permanent injury — and now wants to move on. Here’s to a very bright future in whatever she chooses next!
Yes, Alysa was always so honest and down to earth in interviews. Most skaters when interviewed always claim to be working on X or Y in the future. (yawn). But I remember Alysa saying she injured herself on practicing the quad and was not going to work on it or include it in the future-the interviewer actually seemed surprised by her honesty.

decafjava

On the Ice
Country
Switzerland

lo7wm3pwtlh91.png
gli8o4pwtlh91.png
I am a Russian skaters fan and a Japanese skaters fan but am not a hater. :rolleyes: Ok I admit I had to google Gracie Gold to jog my memory. I have been a fan of Ms. Liu since I became aware of her last year and wish her well.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don’t know what you count as being “official.” She stated she was never setting foot in an ice rink again. She skated SOI because she had a contractural obligation. As far as I know she’s not doing any more shows.
She was part of the cast of "The Ice" in Japan last month (Alysa that is). And she's the star of the Labor Day Sun Valley on Ice show along with Jason Brown.

icybear

Medalist
I would never put too much stock in a 16-year-old saying "I hate (whatever)." Didn't A;exandra Trusova vow that she would never set foot on the ice again?
Trusova said that in the heat of the moment, just after losing olympic gold and seeing years of dedication and hard work go down the drain (at least in her eyes). Alysa sounds like she wants to leave skating completely behind her. I mean its not supriing considering all the stories about how much this was her more of her father's dream and she was the project he had been working on before she was born. Why would a skater who truly loves skating retire just 1 year of turning senior

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I would never put too much stock in a 16-year-old saying "I hate (whatever)." Didn't A;exandra Trusova vow that she would never set foot on the ice again?
Honestly, I remember Trusova having reportedly said that, in the heat of her disappointment over how her Olympic FS had gone. I don’t remember Alysa Liu ever having said it. I remember comments more in the vein of skating not defining her and not wanting to talk about skating.

But even if Alysa did say that, like you I wouldn’t take that comment from a teenager to have any profound significance. As indicated above, both Alysa and Trusova actually have been on the ice since the Olympics.