American Idol Feb. 17 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

American Idol Feb. 17

Okay, I saw the results show and after hearing Camille sing, I hear just what you mean, Rgal, about soul. Diana had good technique and could do a great Motown belt, but compared to Camille she seemed programmed, as if she was singing the notes and not the words, as in what the song actually meant.

ITA that Camille is a somewhat raw and natural talent, but even with her performance tonight, I felt I was hearing somebody who wanted to COMMUNICATE, to share the heart and soul of hte song and herself with the audience. Yes, much like Clay. If she can soak it all up, as you said, she could be amazing.

Matt--was not impressed. Sounded very off key tonight. He just didn't do anything for me, but you never know who will grow.

Only heard blips and clips of the others but OWWW-OOOOOOOOOOO! Wish I could have heard Lisa sing.

I'm glad Seacrest told Simon something like, "Don't you have no one to blame but yourself for the problems in this group?" Of course Simon, ever the consummate pro, just said, "I don't care." ROFL!

My favorite part though was when Seacrest told one of the twins that he got 70,000 votes more than his brother. Man, they're going to have a looooooong flight home.

BTW, re diction--not trying to give you nightmares, Toni, lol--it works in writing too. Huh? Writing is "heard" in the reader's head. Good writers pay close attention to whether they're using a glottal stop or an open vowel to end a sentence, and what kind of word the end of the sentence will connect to. The hearing part of writing is just like Twinnie says--or almost. It's all about consonants and vowels and how they relate, as well as assonance and alliteration. So be ready for diction, Toni. It's everywhere! It's everywhere! ;)

Can't wait to see next week's group. People's comments have been great!
Rgirl

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Well, I know absolutely zero about what makes a good singing voice, I just know what I like and I love Camille's voice. She has a sultry, smokey sound to her and passion spills from her face and body language. If she can improve, she's my pick so far for the number one spot.......of course, that could change 'cus we've got two more groups ahead......42:D

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
I'm glad Seacrest told Simon something like, "Don't you have no one to blame but yourself for the problems in this group?" Of course Simon, ever the consummate pro, just said, "I don't care." ROFL!
Rgirl

My favorite part was when Ryan Seacrest said something like, "Well, for the amount of money the judges are being paid, you SHOULD care." Badda-BOOM!

I was surprised about Matt going through, especially with such a high percentage of the votes. However, during the audition shows, Matt came out of the audition room and let go of an incredible operatic sound (he was goofing around). If he doesn't make on AI (and he won't), I think he should think about studying classical music and turning his attention to opera! He's got the chops!

He's got an attitude problem and a sense of entitlement--that cut at Simon will come back to haunt him. He does not take criticism very well. Americans pay close attention to those with an attitude and eventually cut them down to size. They want their winners to be talented, yes, but also HUMBLE. Think Ruben, Clay, Kelly.

I feel sorry for the brothers' family. It's bad enough having one kid make a fool of himself on national TV, but TWO?! Ouch!

If you read my previous post about Camille, you know that I am delighted about her making it through to the next round. Twinnie, you hit the nail exactly on the head about the difference between Diana and Camille. The word "programmed" to describe Diana was absolutely perfect! She picked a song to show off her big voice, and the audience lapped it up. I don't see her growing from week to week--I don't see DEPTH. BTW, amazing analogy about diction and writing! I never thought about that!

Toni, I meant to add in my previous post that the voice is energized by the CONSONANTS but it RINGS on the VOWELS.

On to next week!
:D

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
show 42 said:
Well, I know absolutely zero about what makes a good singing voice, I just know what I like and I love Camille's voice. She has a sultry, smokey sound to her and passion spills from her face and body language. If she can improve, she's my pick so far for the number one spot.......of course, that could change 'cus we've got two more groups ahead......42:D

Isn't that what makes this show so terrific? WE get to choose based on our own personal taste! I love it! No record company on the planet would have signed Clay to a recording contract without American Idol--and look what would have been lost!:love:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Wow! Matt got in, but Lisa didn't! My jaw dropped! I like Matt, but IMO Lisa was by FAR the best of last night. As for Camille -- well, let's just say I was less than enamored of her performance last night and leave it at that. And I'm not even going to draw my Oksana Baiul comparison, with that crying at the drop of a hat.* Ooops -- looks like I just did. I will put on my ice-cube suit to prepare for the roasting I am expecting for that one.:D

Definitely looking forward to next week -- great group!!

* Then to top it off, she sings something about "One Last Cry" -- not by the looks of things!!

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
However, during the audition shows, Matt came out of the audition room and let go of an incredible operatic sound (he was goofing around). If he doesn't make on AI (and he won't), I think he should think about studying classical music and turning his attention to opera! He's got the chops!:D

Rgal, now I don't know anything about singing, but I was thinking the same thing. I've been waiting since then to be as impressed by his voice.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
tharrtell said:
Rgal, now I don't know anything about singing, but I was thinking the same thing. I've been waiting since then to be as impressed by his voice.

It's amazing how sometimes a person will love a style of music so much but it just isn't their best style of performance. I think Matt loves pop and sees himself as a pop star, but I see him as an opera singer! Andrea Bocelli is one of my very favorite singers and he LOVES to sing opera, and he sings it pretty well. However, he sings the Italian love songs A HUNDRED times better! I'm sure that doesn't thrill him, but that's just the way it is.:D

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
One reason that I think Lisa didn't make the top two is she doesn't have the "whole package", meaning voice, charisma, personality, and something unique that endears her to the voters and the audience. Her voice is awesome, but I don't think I could pick her out of a crowd..........now Matt and Camille.....definitely.....42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Lisa's look got her into trouble... personally her boobs needed some support... bouncing around on stage is great, so long as your boobs don't "echo" the rest of your body line... and it sounds like she had no intention of changing her "look/style" I'm not impressed.

Matt has a HUGE following online... due to his previous auditions...
I LOVED Josh Gracin last season... he had a great country voice... and it wasn't POP idol... it was American Idol... so all genres are appropriate IMHO

just my two cents.... none of the singers this week were all that stellar anyway!