Annika Sorenstam | Golden Skate

Annika Sorenstam

M

mathman444

Annika Sorenstam

Are you rooting for lady golfer Annika Sorenstam in the men's PGA golf tournament this weekend? Or do you think that in sports, boys should be boys and girls should be girls?

Mathman

M

mike79

Re: Annika Sorenstam

I really hope Annika makes the cut today but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. It'd be sweet to have Vijay Singh eat his derogatory words.

I think that Annika has every right to play on the PGA tour. The LPGA rules state that anyone who was not born a woman cannot play on their tour. That automatically dismisses any notion that if a woman can play for the PGA then a man should be able to play on the LPGA tour. The PGA tour is the best golf tour in the world. If the best woman golfer in the world wants to play against the best competition she should have every right in the world to do so.

K

Kasey

Annika...

I'm not a huge golf fan...I am a strong believer in equal opportunity, and that if women want to truly be treated as equals, we should take the good with the bad (such as being draftable, going into combat, etc). However, Annika did not "earn" her way into this competition...she accepted a sponsorship, as did 11 others who did not have to earn their way to this particular golf tourney. For her to truly "earn" her way into any tournament on the PGA, she would have to play the tour for the full season...and I'm sure many would not want that to happen. As for men not being allowed to play in the LPGA, that is ridiculous....one set of rules for one gender, another set for the other? That's rubbish...if Annika can "earn" or weasel, or whatever, her way onto the PGA, what, other than a silly rule, is keeping the men out of the LPGA? Oh yeah, the PGA prize money is more!

Nuff said by me!
Kasey

4dogknight

Re: Annika...

I was watching CNNFN earlier this week and they interviewed a female golfer who qualified for the Greater Hartford Open. I can't remember her name but she did stipulate that she qualified for the tournament.

I'm sure that as the tournament nears, July I think, we'll be hearing more about her. Or maybe not.

4dk

H

heyang

Re: Annika...

I certainly believe that she should be able to play if she's qualified. She admitted that this is one of the few PGA tournaments that she has a chance of playing competitively.

No matter what, women are unlikely to drive the ball as far as a man with similar ball control skills. Currently, I can hit the ball better than one of my male friends, but his ball can still go farther because of his upper body strength. After teeing off, all things are more equal on a shorter course - the great equalizer is the short game and putting

Although she did not make the final cut, I wouldn't say this makes her unqualified to play against the men. There were men who did not play as well as she. Golf is a sport where a bad day can prevent advancement - not even Tiger Woods has made it into the final round of every tournament he's participated in.

S

Show 42

Good for her for giving it a try.........Did anyone else see the resemblence to Tonya Harding? 42

J

JOHIO2

Lad,

I am glad that Anika tried, even if she didn't make the cut. I saw that Tiger Woods said that she should try 4 or 5 tournaments, to get used to what the men's ts are like and see if she really wanted to compete there. She didn't. One was enough for her.

However, I think that women should be allowed to try if they want. The men's courses are NOT the same as the ones the LPGA plays, but why shouldn't a woman have the chance to see if she CAN compete with the men????