Any of you root for skaters due to nationality/religious connections? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Any of you root for skaters due to nationality/religious connections?

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
I cringe whenever I see some fans write "Jesus loves you" or quote Bible verses to their favorite skaters, as if all skaters are devout Christians. Not everyone is, and there are a lot of people who are offended when Christianity is shoved down their throats. My boss, for example, used to make an exception to the "cheapest direct flight available" rule for company travel if that airline happened to be Alaska Air, who used to distribute prayer cards during meals. She once got one that said something like only Jesus can save you, which, as someone who is Jewish, she found extremely offensive.

It's especially cringworthy when they are spouting Bible versus to skaters with Tatar names, as Tatars are much more likely to be Muslim than Christian, if they follow any religion at all.

My boss, for example, used to make an exception to the "cheapest direct flight available" rule for company travel if that airline happened to be Alaska Air, who used to distribute prayer cards during meals. She once got one that said something like only Jesus can save you,...

I think it would make me nervous if the airline gave out cards in flight saying, "You're flying Alaska Airlines. Only Jesus can save you now." :)

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it would make me nervous if the airline gave out cards in flight saying, "You're flying Alaska Airlines. Only Jesus can save you now." :)

How about "Welcome to Alaskan Airlines, sometimes God will make this plane shake violently but he loves you and so do we"

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
well, we're still on ice sports, so not a complete :eek:topic: but for those who know their old school hockey:

"Only the Lord saves more than Bernie Parent"

*Everyone* said that in Philly back in the 70s, no matter their affiliation....

peg

Medalist
My boss, for example, used to make an exception to the "cheapest direct flight available" rule for company travel if that airline happened to be Alaska Air, who used to distribute prayer cards during meals. She once got one that said something like only Jesus can save you, which, as someone who is Jewish, she found extremely offensive.
Huh. I've never gotten a prayer card when I've flown with Alaska Air. It's actually my favorite US-based airline, but it probably wouldn't be if I'd gotten one of those prayer cards. That would definitely leave a bad taste in my mouth