Any of you root for skaters due to nationality/religious connections? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Any of you root for skaters due to nationality/religious connections?

padme21

On the Ice
We currently have two out gay men actively competing in figure skating at its highest level. One is a national champion; the other is a national and world champion. You know who they are. And as a gay man I definitely root for them because they have shown the whole "you can't come out--it will ruin your career" rationale no longer has any real validity.

I know Adam is one of them but who is the other?

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Yes, very cool.

OT -- who are the pairs skaters in your avatar?
+ her insta is hilar
Hewre absolute excitement about snow here:rofl: I'd be as excited about Australian scenery as she's about ours:laugh:

yeah its Manfred obvs Im predictable that way:luv17:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In the thread for the men's FS for the JGP Bratislava, I saw a few discussions about it in the last few postings, so I thought maybe we can discuss more here about it.

Like for me, besides rooting for Americans (Because I myself am one) and other skaters I like for their skills and stuff, there are some skaters I root for bcause of different reasons.

Like I will root for skaters who represent Israel because I'm Jewish and Israel is considered the homeland of the Jews.

Plus I also get slightly excited when I find out some skaters are Jewish because Judaism is kind of considered a minority religion cause of the amount of people practicing it, so I feel a connection in some way.

Also I root for skaters representing the Philippines because we have a really good family friend who immigrated to the USA from there and she became the nanny of me and my younger brother when we were babies due to that both my parents work. She not so much our nanny anymore because we're older (And plus my brother just moved to Tennessee for college), but she still helps out around the house and drives me to school and stuff cause I don't drive. Anyways, she's like my 2nd mother so whenever I hear about the Philippines in any way or form, I think of her.

Interesting question. I pretty much have my own religion but I do like and admire Israel and have a number of Jewish friends who I enjoy greatly. But I wouldnt say I root for Israeli/Jewish skaters any more or less than I root(ed) for Tugba K., whose religion I have no idea of, but who I liked. I do root for all of Team USA even though I might not like some of its members personally, but I wouldnt say I am a USA fanatic. I do like to see them do well. OTOH, I like the Asian work ethic and much more about them so I tend to root for many Asian skaters. What does make me nervous at int'l skating events is rampant nationalism from people who have little interest in skating. There is no reason to mention these countries , but all you have to do is watch news reels of the 1938 German Olympics to understand.
The question you pose is also interesting in that of all the reasons I root for skaters, say at US Nats, Original nationality roots and religious beliefs are two of the lowest reasons I would base my admiration on.....if we talked about all the other reasons we like skaters, this thread would be 600 pages long!
Go Austro-Hungarian skaters! Chris going to Worlds

Last edited:

ordinary person

On the Ice
I usually root or the best skaters, who for me are not only the skaters in the last group, but I also love skaters such as Fleur Maxwell from Luxemburg and the 90s Israeli skater Michael Shmerkin (still has some of the best steps in my personal opinion).

Yet, I do have extra interest in skaters from countries like India (my origins are from Pakistan, we share many cultural traits with India as we were all one country in the past), being born and raised in the Netherlands makes me extra interested in Dutch skaters too. As Belgium and the Netherlands were one country in the past as well and with a part of Belgium, I also root for their skaters more than I normally would. I am a Muslima, so Islamic skaters of course also get my special attention.

Me too, despite the strict religious laws about having to cover yourself all up i can't help but admire all those muslima skaters performing without paying any attention to that:)
Speaking of which there's going to be another competition hosted by the graceful Zahra Lari herself, she's really doing a lot than just talking, i love it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd....84_1552435981750328_5232639156686995881_o.jpg

I hope they'll have videos to see if there's any progress but yeah, i somehow doubt it...:disapp:

gimble

On the Ice
I root for any skater I find exciting and I do appreciate good jumps and speed.
None of the fans/commentators/crowds/etc. of the skater's country changes my appreciation of the skater.
Either I like his/her skating, or not.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
Not as much for nationality, although if we have a skater who stands a great chance like Patrick Chan or Scott & Tessa, my heart is pretty close to them. As far as if I hear a skater is a Christian, I might be more likely to consider rooting for them, but if I can't stand their skating or apparent personality, then our shared religion isn't going to help. And that won't stop me from rooting for skaters who aren't Christians or whose religions I don't know.

desertskates

Medalist
My favorite skaters are from all over the globe. But I'll naturally root for anyone from team USA because it's my home. I also really enjoy rooting for people from countries that are newer to the world of skating. Especially since South America and Southeast Asia are starting to produce competitors. Tugba Karademir became a favorite of mine because it was so unusual to see a skater from a from a "non-skating" country. These people really have to work so hard to get the training they need, and I really admire that :)

...But I wouldnt say I root for Israeli/Jewish skaters any more or less than I root(ed) for Tugba K., whose religion I have no idea of, but who I liked.

As far as I know Tugba Karademir never commented on religious matters or participated in public demonstrations of sectarian religion. Historically, Turkey is a politically secular nation whose population is nevertheless 99% Muslim, spread over a wide spectrum of practices and beliefs. The hijab was actually forbidden in schools and public buildings until very recently, for fear of Islamic fundamentalist groups gaining influence in government.

Here is an article on the debate within the state-owned national television station about whether they should show ladies' skating at the 2014 Olympics, in view of the fact that many Turkish citizens might be offended at the (illusion of) bare legs. (The article mentions that Katarina Witt was a popular television draw in the 1970s. ;) )

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/en/...v-censorship-sochi-olympics-ice-skating.html#

Some people thought that Tugba's rather plain skating costumes (no sequins or feathers) were a nod to Islamic modesty, but it was more likely that her family could not afford much beyond the basics after they gave up a financially comfortable life in Turkey and moved to Canada so their daughter could have top coaching at the Maraposa Skating School in Barrie. (As far as I know Tugba herself is still coaching there now.)

On the other hand, she dpesn't mind rocking a pair of red high-heeled shoes.

http://shetakesontheworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/tugbak.jpg

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
As far as I know Tugba Karademir never commented on religious matters or participated in public demonstrations of sectarian religion. Historically, Turkey is a politically secular nation whose population is nevertheless 99% Muslim, spread over a wide spectrum of practices and beliefs. The hijab was actually forbidden in schools and public buildings until very recently, for fear of Islamic fundamentalist groups gaining influence in government.

Here is an article on the debate within the state-owned national television station about whether they should show ladies' skating at the 2014 Olympics, in view of the fact that many Turkish citizens might be offended at the (illusion of) bare legs. (The article mentions that Katarina Witt was a popular television draw in the 1970s. ;) )

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/en/...v-censorship-sochi-olympics-ice-skating.html#

Some people thought that Tugba's rather plain skating costumes (no sequins or feathers) were a nod to Islamic modesty, but it was more likely that her family could not afford much beyond the basics after they gave up a financially comfortable life in Turkey and moved to Canada so their daughter could have top coaching at the Maraposa Skating School in Barrie. (As far as I know Tugba herself is still coaching there now.)

On the other hand, she dpesn't mind rocking a pair of red high-heeled shoes.

http://shetakesontheworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/tugbak.jpg

Great pic! Hope she landed on her feet and is doing fine. IIRC,doners and possibly corporate sponsors made it possible for her parents to attend some of her major events. My more learned friends tell me that the basically secular Turkey has had a resurgence of fundimentalism and there has always been strife with the local Kurds...I hope the country doesnt go fundimentalist. A number of military friends have good memories of being stationed there....And I really would be interested in what Tugba thinks about the whole business (in private over a microbrew) as I enjoy talking with folks from that part of the world as some of their students work in the National Park service lodges and restaurants I visit. I try and not associate skaters with the politics of their country, unless they are vocal about it.....if a mythical Russian Pixy skater were to constantly praise say Stalin for his purges, and I didnt think said purges were very nice, then it would be hard to cheer for the Russian Pixy....The US certainly has its sins, (FDR locking up American citizens in concentration camps) but I have yet to hear an American skater applaud US policy tword the Native Americans in the 19th century. If I did, I couldnt root for that skater either....
Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee

mrrice

Record Breaker
When Elizaveta Tuktamysheva was as Skate America last season, no one started clapping in rhytm during the beat part of her FS. All other audiences in all of her 13 FS were clapping. America was the only exception. This stuck out in my mind for some reason. I even thought she got a different track version for a moment... then realized, no claps. So US audiences can be quite cold as well.

TRUE!!!!! I have traveled all over the world and though I was singing and dancing and not skating, the nicest "Audiences" were in Japan and Canada. Especially if you go by how loudly they will scream for you when they like you. Now, the nicest "people" I met were from Germany and Russia. They audiences were more subdued but we often did meet and greets after our performances and that's when you really see how the people were.

I keep waiting for the Russian Hockey Team from St Petersburg to do a Calendar. They were......:cool2: Funny and Goooooood Loooooookin' :love:

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Quote Originally Posted by Tyranid View Post
When Elizaveta Tuktamysheva was as Skate America last season, no one started clapping in rhytm during the beat part of her FS. All other audiences in all of her 13 FS were clapping. America was the only exception. This stuck out in my mind for some reason. I even thought she got a different track version for a moment... then realized, no claps. So US audiences can be quite cold as well.

I remember Irina Slutskaya comming to Spokane to do a show and she did a cowboy number...I of course knew who she was and clapped for her....but it was odd to me that more didnt clap when she was announced...dont know if it was ignorance on he audience's part or what....

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
To get back to the original post of this thread, I have to just say for my self, I cheer for skaters that make a sudden impact from a non traditional skating country. I love an underdog and seeing people perform well that we have never seen before. Its like when Javier first started getting really good and everyone seen he represented Spain, everyone was really pulling for him and was thrilled he did so well. One that sticks our for me was when that girl from Georgia had that really good year and place top 6 in the world or something.. I loved that.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
To get back to the original post of this thread, I have to just say for my self, I cheer for skaters that make a sudden impact from a non traditional skating country. I love an underdog and seeing people perform well that we have never seen before. Its like when Javier first started getting really good and everyone seen he represented Spain, everyone was really pulling for him and was thrilled he did so well. One that sticks our for me was when that girl from Georgia had that really good year and place top 6 in the world or something.. I loved that.

Did you mean Elene GEDEVANISHVILI? :) She kind of disappeared this season.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Skating is still a sport, so being biased isn't forbidden:) As long as you aren't both delusional and angry fan:popcorn:

asahi

Rinkside
I think I started rooting for skaters based on nationality when I first started getting into figure skating. But as I met other skaters, I slowly started to fall in love with their skating more than their nationality.

peg

Medalist
I root for skaters from my country at least somewhat at major events because I want them to get as many spots as possible. I also root for Czech skaters because I was born there, so there's a natural affinity.

But I also root for other skaters for a variety of other reasons, first and foremost because I like their skating. And I do like a good 'overcoming the odds' story. For example, I rooted extra hard for Irina Slutskaya after she had that illness and returned to top form, and last year I found myself really rooting for Liza. Akiko overcoming a struggle with her eating disorder made me like her even more than just for her skating.

There are also some styles of skating that I tend to prefer over others. I love when skaters have strong difficult jumps combined with a softness to their skaters, and for this reason I like many Asian skaters.

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
I'm more into skating schools rather than nationalities (i.e. Russian pairs, Japanese men and French ice dancers) if that makes any sense. I feel that some countries consistently push the envelop and develop quality skaters which makes it impossible for me to not root for them. Other than that, it's the skaters who steal my heart rather than the flag they represent (also because I come from a country that knows nothing about the sport and has never produced an athlete).

Religion is irrelevant for me (not being religious myself), although I do like it when some skaters defy adversities, injuries or even cultural limitations to make it to the top ranks. Yelena Berezhnaya, Javier Fernández, Denis Ten, Liza Tutkamysheva are among the ones I truly root for, even if their skating may not always be my cup of tea.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm from the United States, but it doesn't make me biased at all in terms of skaters I root for. In fact, most of my favorite skaters aren't from America at all :laugh: I do root for American skaters though, especially our ice dancers. But I find most of my favorite skaters by admiring certain qualities that they have.

It's strange for me to see people only liking skaters from their own country (or from a selective country), because they're missing out on so much! For me, discovering skaters from countries where the sport isn't very prominent is part of the fun :)