Any of you root for skaters due to nationality/religious connections? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Any of you root for skaters due to nationality/religious connections?

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
To me skaters nationality, much less religion is completely irrelevant, I like and cheer for the skaters I like and feel connected with, period. It doesn't matter at all if they are Russians, Americans, Polish or Jamaican. I am American and live in Italy for 13 years and counting, just for an example I love Jason Brown and Ivan Righini not because they are American/Italian but simply because they are wonderful skaters to me, I love their style and personality.

ordinary person

On the Ice
No, they wear flesh-coloured tights, and as long as the costume was fitted and cut properly, there is nothing obscene about a skating dress.

I'm so sorry for this reply but i felt like i had to read my silly comments i posted and i feel sooo embarrassed:scard7: of how wrong i was, i hope i didn't offend anyone.

I take back everything i said, you're right about cutting it properly like Mirai did for instance, that's always a solution and i didn't notice obsscene like you said, i can't believe i never thought of that before..i really should try to read better.:palmf:

Last edited:
Why would you ask that? :confused:

Is there something wrong with the question I asked? If it offends Muslim traditions for a lady skater to wear a costume that gives the illusion of having her bare legs exposed, that problem can be addressed by wearing pants. This option is specifically allowed in fairly recent revisions of the ISU rules.

On the other hand, this choice might be viewed by traditionalists in Muslim countries as "women dressing like men" or as "Muslim women dressing like Westerners," and that might be taboo as well in countries where cultural norms are strictly enforced. So I wondered about that.

I am not an expert on the many variations of Islam.

Last edited:

ordinary person

On the Ice
Is there something wrong with the question I asked? If it offends Muslim traditions for a lady skater to wear a costume that gives the illusion of having her bare legs exposed, that problem can be addressed by wearing pants. This option is specifically allowed in fairly recent revisions of the ISU rules.

On the other hand, this choice might be viewed by traditionalists in Muslim countries as "women dressing like men" or as "Muslim women dressing like Westerners," and that might be taboo as well in countries where cultural norms are strictly enforced. So I wondered about that.

I am not an expert on the many variations of Islam.

Oh that's ok, there's nothing wrong with asking questions. I just thought maybe you saw those links i posted of some UAE skaters wearing skin coloured tights. Apparently to my big surprise Muslims from strict religious countries weren't bothered at all as you have seen, fascinating isn't it?

All this time i thought it was taboo but for some strange reason they allow it, that really intrigues me a lot. After having seen all of this i wouldn't be surprised if Zahra changes her costumes adding a pair of skin coloured tights and getting rid the same old dull thick black sloppy tights.

noskates

Record Breaker
No. I root for the skater who I think does the best job. Yes I'm partial to SOME US skaters, but not all. I appreciate the sport and therefore appreciate the skaters who perform it the best,

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, I'm still waiting for the arrival of figure skating messiah coming out of Burkina Faso. :scratch2:

Well, if you skip a couple of countries west, you could claim Elladj Baldé. His Dad's family is from Guinea. :agree:

(And if you want to read about Elladj's trip to his ancestral homeland last year, see this story on the Skate Canada website).

CaroLiza_fan

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
US fans are the best fans in the world, always fair, wise and respectful. Perfect nation :agree:

The behavior of russian fans at Sochi FS event was one of the biggest acts of disrespect in sports history. No sarcasm. There should be no excuses of this kind of behavior, hockey fans or not, it doesn't matter.

Russians are evil, closeminded and uncivilized, everyone knows it. We're terrible persons. :biggrin:
we are!!!:devil::devil::ddevil::agree: barbarians bb!

You didn't see American fans deliberately refusing to give standing ovations to programs based on where the skaters were from did you?
who decides that a performance absolutely deserves a standing O.....:scratch2:

Tyranid

Final Flight
When Elizaveta Tuktamysheva was as Skate America last season, no one started clapping in rhytm during the beat part of her FS. All other audiences in all of her 13 FS were clapping. America was the only exception. This stuck out in my mind for some reason. I even thought she got a different track version for a moment... then realized, no claps. So US audiences can be quite cold as well.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Yes I root for Czech skaters. Some of them might be not my favorite, but they're my nationality..I don't really see nothing wrong with it, why should it be? I like many skaters more. But in other sports, I root basically just for athletes from my country. I watch biathlon, ice hockey etc...and I'm not an expert for these kind of sports, I just like watching it. So I don't really know who to cheer for (from other countries), because I don't know the technique and other important things...And when Czech athlete win a medal I'm obviously very happy. I think it is normal.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I'm German and I've been living in London, England for 20 years. I don't believe in blind patriotism, that's for narrow minded people. I usually root for Argentina in the soccer! And Ireland comes before everything.
As for skating, I'm a wee bit biased towards Canada, as I was (and still am) so mesmerised by Toller Cranston as a kid. I swore to always root for Skate Canada. I'm still driven by that, but my heart is big and there is space for Javi, Yuzu, the Russian girls and definetely for Fedor Klimov :love:

LadyB

Record Breaker
:thumbsup:Sadly not (that's coming from my Irish connections), but I certainly like a wee dram! :laugh:

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
I usually root or the best skaters, who for me are not only the skaters in the last group, but I also love skaters such as Fleur Maxwell from Luxemburg and the 90s Israeli skater Michael Shmerkin (still has some of the best steps in my personal opinion).

Yet, I do have extra interest in skaters from countries like India (my origins are from Pakistan, we share many cultural traits with India as we were all one country in the past), being born and raised in the Netherlands makes me extra interested in Dutch skaters too. As Belgium and the Netherlands were one country in the past as well and with a part of Belgium, I also root for their skaters more than I normally would. I am a Muslima, so Islamic skaters of course also get my special attention.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
All other audiences in all of her 13 FS were clapping. America was the only exception.
I actually think its alright
I doubt ppl didnt lap b/c of her nationality
All audiences are different, all the performances are dirrent
Its strange to me to expect standing Os or clapping:shrug:

Its the same with behaviour in the cinema
I cant understand ppl laughing loudly, applauding (!) during scenes but in US its apparently commion

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Yes I root for Czech skaters. Some of them might be not my favorite, but they're my nationality..I don't really see nothing wrong with it, why should it be? I like many skaters more. But in other sports, I root basically just for athletes from my country. I watch biathlon, ice hockey etc...and I'm not an expert for these kind of sports, I just like watching it. So I don't really know who to cheer for (from other countries), because I don't know the technique and other important things...And when Czech athlete win a medal I'm obviously very happy. I think it is normal.

I'm the same! I mean I do root for Polish skaters. But also for Czech ones (Michal!) :biggrin: And just like you that does not mean I do not root for skaters from other countries, I do cheer for a lot of them, it's just that I root for Polish ones even if they are not the best one (or even total disaster), it feels natural for me. The same with the other sports, unless I follow discipline closer, I only root for my country. Sometimes I do cheer for other countires I like if Polish athletes are not competing or competing directly against each other.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
We currently have two out gay men actively competing in figure skating at its highest level. One is a national champion; the other is a national and world champion. You know who they are. And as a gay man I definitely root for them because they have shown the whole "you can't come out--it will ruin your career" rationale no longer has any real validity.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
When Elizaveta Tuktamysheva was as Skate America last season, no one started clapping in rhytm during the beat part of her FS. All other audiences in all of her 13 FS were clapping. America was the only exception. This stuck out in my mind for some reason. I even thought she got a different track version for a moment... then realized, no claps. So US audiences can be quite cold as well.

I was at that Skate America. I love Liza and was rooting for her last year, but that wasn't her best performance of that FS - there were errors and it didn't have quite the same energy. She also didn't have the momentum yet that she gained as the season went on. I don't think we didn't clap because of any nationalistic reasons.

For me, I don't have a problem with people who root for skaters from a particular country. In other sports I definitely root for my "home" team just because it's fun. It doesn't mean people are therefore rooting against other skaters or believing their favorites are better than the others. I'd love to see Gracie, Ashley, and Polina do well at Worlds this year, but I'm very aware of their weaknesses compared to, say, Evgenia, Elena, Satoko, and Mao.