Anyone thinking about leaving FS fandom? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Anyone thinking about leaving FS fandom?

R.D.

Record Breaker
For me, Sochi 2014 was the culmination of years of disillusionment. After the Korea 2018 Olys, I finally had enough and stopped watching international competitions altogether. The only competition I’ve watched since was the US Nationals.

Came back to see who the US contenders were for this cycle. Other than a small bit of Karen Chen’s Team Short Program (before she fell) this is the first instance of skating at the Olys I have not watched or recorded, after doing it for so long out of habit…Basically just here to track results of the US and to hear fan insights at this point. It’s in the realm of possibility that in 2026 I may not even be doing that.

noskates

Record Breaker
I would not leave the fandom over what has happened at this Olympics but I don't know if I would stick around if this type of behavior continues to be condoned. My heart went out to Kamila today. It's amazing the pressure didn't get to her sooner. BUT.....rules and regulations are put in place for a reason and the governing bodies (whoever they are and wherever they're from) need to commit to following them consistently or step aside and let someone else take over. And consequences need to be in place if they aren't followed. I sincerely hope that this is more than a wake-up call for the IOC and that those consequences are more than a slap on the proverbial wrist. There are too many young people whose lives are impacted by this fault-ridden system.

I have followed figure skating for multiple decades. I have favorite skaters from many different countries, not just the US. I look forward to Nationals, Grand Prix competitions, Worlds, regional comps, and finally the Olympics. I have been to many competitions and was fortunate enough to see some of my favorites in person. I've made friends at competitions from other countries that I am still in touch with.

Please, please don't let this debacle happen again. I don't want to leave.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The team event not awarding medals, even provisionally is making me consider leaving. To know that it might take years to resolve in court in order to award medals is too much for me. I cannot watch events that must be settled in court. I will be out for worlds and possibly thereafter. It is too much to watch careers be ruined that took years to build.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The team event not awarding medals, even provisionally is making me consider leaving. To know that it might take years to resolve in court in order to award medals is too much for me. I cannot watch events that must be settled in court. I will be out for worlds and possibly thereafter. It is too much to watch careers be ruined that took years to build.
While I completely understand how you feel -- this Olympics was certainly NOT one for the record books in oh so many ways -- I will miss reading your posts. Come back when the inanity (and insanity) settles down.

theblade

On the Ice
Don't want to tell anyone what to do, but figure skating as a sport has been around a lot longer than the small number of current bad actors.

I grew up with the sport and have a kid in it trying to be competitive; we really *really* value those that have been part of the sport - whether recently, or for decades. The legacy fans have insights that are so important - remembrances of skaters, performances, music, even the behind-the-scenes stuff. It's all so important.

The sport is definitely a different landscape when I participated in it. But, like in war strategy, please don't abandon an asset for it to be overrun by others. The sport is so much greater than this moment in time.

PinkElephants

Rinkside
Not really, although it's a rough time to be a skating fan, there's always been controversies and some low lows in skating. I also get frustrated at the scoring but I try not to let the numbers influence how I feel about the performances themselves and just enjoy the skating, after all skating scores will always be biased and political to some degree, it's just the nature of the sport. A great performance is still a great performance even if judges don't reward it as much as I'd like. Personally, my enjoyment of ladies skating has gone down drastically since 2015 so I usually skip it (except to watch my favorites), but luckily there's three other disciplines to watch :)

Last edited:

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
My interest has been waning, mainly due to so few streams being available for US residents. The Olympics debacle was pretty much the last straw. Little will change. I'll check in every now and again, but nowhere near what I used to.

DreamSkates

Rinkside
Country
United-States
While it is disconcerting learning about all the dirty "secrets" of figure skating, I will continue to support those skaters who do skate clean, who work and train and make sacrifices for years to go to their national and maybe, international competitions even though they know they will not win a medal. They do this for the love of the sport. I support all of them.

I do hope we see real change coming. I will be patient for a year or two, and then decide if I will continue to watch. I am sure that fewer viewers will mean less money which will put a squeeze on the sport, which could be a push for change.

decafjava

On the Ice
Country
Switzerland
While it is disconcerting learning about all the dirty "secrets" of figure skating, I will continue to support those skaters who do skate clean, who work and train and make sacrifices for years to go to their national and maybe, international competitions even though they know they will not win a medal. They do this for the love of the sport. I support all of them.

I do hope we see real change coming. I will be patient for a year or two, and then decide if I will continue to watch. I am sure that fewer viewers will mean less money which will put a squeeze on the sport, which could be a push for change.
Everyone who competed at Beijing were tested multiple times, and no-one at the games in figure skating had a positive test for doping. Innuendo and suspicion are not "dirty secrets".

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope so. I guess some other substances may have some of the same metabolites as clostebol? Perhaps cosmetics again?

The original substance is related to testosterone, and so is unequivocally a doping option.

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I hope so. I guess some other substances may have some of the same metabolites as clostebol? Perhaps cosmetics again?

The original substance is related to testosterone, and so is unequivocally a doping option.
I read that it can be found in opthalmic treatments and also skin creams, especially for sunburn. A Norwegian skier was banned when she tested positive for it in 2016 after using a sunburn cream that contained it. Not the best example, considering the recent publicity about Norway's use of asthma meds but FWIW...

It was actually developed in the former GDR and used there as a performance enhancer. However, for PE purposes it has to be ingested (as opposed to topical use) and taken in much larger quantities. (Thank you, Google. ;))