Are you unhappy with Skate Canada's Results Website? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Are you unhappy with Skate Canada's Results Website?

wishicouldskate

Rinkside
Enough about the Code of Points, what has been their excuse for the past 5 years?? Don't tell me they haven't figured out how to use a computer yet. I know 4 year olds who know how to run a computer. It just takes one person, even a child, to input results onto a webpage. If Rosleen (Bless her) can post the results on here, then Skate Canada can post results on their website.

shdotz

On the Ice
Unhappy with Skate Canada?

Because I tape the skating shows, I can't complain.

I tape them to avoid all the waiting and to fast forward through waiting times, including commercials.

Figure Skating is, for me, a passion. I love watching, seeing new talent as well as regulars; it relaxes me and shows in beauty in motion to music.

shdotz

dgel

On the Ice
Skate Canada in the past has done a fantastic job on results. At Junior Nats they've had real-time updates where the marks are on the net as fast as they are up in the arena. I can see why that might not be practical when working under the new system, and that's fair enough. However that's no real excuse for not having results up until 24 hours after the event.

Is it important that you provide a good service of news and results? Is it more or less important than the other services SC provide? Always a matter of opinion of course, but what is frustrating in this case is that this is just so easy to do - as Rosaleen showed herself. Yes, there's a need to get final results approved and signed off on - all you need to do to post quickly however is to simply post with a clear heading - unofficial results. 10 minutes typing the results in, and upload... Will this cost a lot of money? Not if you find a volunteer to do this, and looking round the various Section web sites, there's no shortage of qualified people...

How do you build interest in skating other than the big ticket events? How do you show you care about all the members of your organization, not just the elite? Each skater at the Challenge comes from a club. Each skater is known to a group of 10 to 100 or more fellow skaters and parents who want to know how they've done... How many skaters at the Challenges? We're not talking about a few skating fans looking for results, but potentially an audience of thousands here.

And if you provide prompt up to date results, they'll come to your web site, and often. The web access logs will show this, and you can demonstrate to your sponsors and potential advertisers what the actual interest in these events is. You want to keep BMO Financial Group a happy sponsor of the challenges? Show them the access stats of pages with their logo and name on them. Believe me I'm speaking from experience here, both from the point of view of maintaining a skating site, and as a former director of one of the largest single sports web sites around that built its success on live coverage.

Basically SC don't understand the web and how it can be used to their benefit. Anyone who has visited the "Members Only" section can attest to this..

haz

Spectator
The results which Rosaleen posted are unofficial results. Most of the time they were pretty accurate, but Skate Canada CAN NOT post results until they are verified and confirmed to be accurate. In many cases this required the result to be calculated manually for verification when there were computer problems. As we see this new system being used at lower level competitions I suspect that we'll be going back to waiting for results as we used to do in the days before computers....when we still had figures as a component of the score :rofl:

melbo

Spectator
My issues with the Skate Canada website reach far past their inability to post results efficiently. Their content level is lacking, especially when it comes to covering and promoting their own skaters, they don't seem to be able to send someone to internationals with a digital camera, and they're very slow in posting news briefs.

However, some aspects of the site are nice - it has a nice design, I'm comfortable with the navigation, and I enjoy all of the historic photos. It just amuses me that there seem to be more photos of Barbara Ann Scott on the website than of the current national champions. ;)

CarolinA11

Rinkside
It's worse then pathetic.. you think about it !! we're monday.. the competition finished yesterday and they don't even have yesterdays results up :sheesh: eumm.. VERY VERY SLOWWWW

dgel

On the Ice
Just to emphasise that this really is a problem, i've learned of a skater from our section who had to leave for the airport directly after their skate (as things were running late), and still, two days later, doesn't know where they placed!

Foxy

Rinkside
It's now Tuesday ..... still waiting on the final placings of the Novice Men. :scowl:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always thought the USFS website was slow to post results. But 3 days after the competition and still no results? That IS pathetic.

dgel

On the Ice
Skate Canada finally have the complete results up - well complete to the extent we have points for each programme and final standings...

Only 48 hours, not bad, probably took that long for the carrier pigeon to take the protocols to the web people

sk8a_grl

Rinkside
c mon ppl...we re being a lil bit harsh here.....id like to see a group of you guys try to run two major competitions at the same time with a brand new system that is still being figured out.....lets give them a break...i think its pretty good that they got the full results up that soon....keep in mind that it is a qualifying competition and any mistakes might send the wrong competitors to nationals

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
Yes

I am unhappy with Skate Canada's results speed because they are the governing body of skting in Canada and they should be able to post these things very quickly. Its okay though. We have Rosaleen :) I do agree with the person above me though because Skate Canada is very busy running these competitions and a mistake could be crucial.

Last edited: