Argentine Tango -"Compulsory" Reading | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Argentine Tango -"Compulsory" Reading

all that

Final Flight
I just watched it on Youtube. Yes, better choreo may have been enough to bump them up. They are what, 2 pts behind B/A? Well, the commentators said that intro was about 2 points less. The ending wasn't that great either...what was that little jump back by Meryl? It doesn't look much of a Tango move for me. How frustrating, knowing that this team could do better. Lots of potential to exploit in this team.

I don't know what the commentators were talking about. The intro and the closing aren't judged. The only thing I could see happening with the intro is either 1) the choreography didn't allow them to build enough speed to go into the opening steps, or 2) the choreography did not set a strong enough tango mood. I didn't think either of these problems existed, though. Plus, I can't see how they lost 2 points through something that doesn't count in the judging.

fanofskate

Rinkside
I don't know what the commentators were talking about. The intro and the closing aren't judged. The only thing I could see happening with the intro is either 1) the choreography didn't allow them to build enough speed to go into the opening steps, or 2) the choreography did not set a strong enough tango mood. I didn't think either of these problems existed, though. Plus, I can't see how they lost 2 points through something that doesn't count in the judging.

Well, we can't separate the intro/closing from the whole CD presentation. Neither can the judges. It should factor into the PCS. Here's my non-expert take on this: The fact that they do give a couple (?) bars of music for intro means that they want you to set it up nice and flow right into the pattern. Intros, as you said, set the mood, the character of the dance and more importantly set you apart from the get go. That push off into the 1st sequence shouldn't lose the tone/mood set in your intro steps. It should just carry through. Closings are also important as that's the last thing the judges and the audience will see. In the CDs, the ending is tricky because the music doesn't really help you close properly...so you have to be creative. In every performance, you want to grab attention from the first pose to the last pose. Now, I could be wrong in all this. Still learning and open to correction. The commentators could also be very wrong. I just assumed that having covered quite a few competitions, they should have more knowledge than I.

Last edited: