Ashley Wagner disappointed with Sochi support | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner disappointed with Sochi support

stella luna

Final Flight
The problem that I have with Ashley is she is complaining about skaters failing. To my understanding, hasn't Ashley herself been on her bum quite a few times in competitions. She has selective memory.

Gracie fell, too, and placed ahead of Ashley, and rightfully so. With her comments, Ashley was sniping at her own teammate, it seemed.

Amei

Record Breaker
Gracie fell, too, and placed ahead of Ashley, and rightfully so. With her comments, Ashley was sniping at her own teammate, it seemed.

In the team event Asada also placed above Wagner with a fall... It's not the first time, nor is it some conspiracy against Wagner for a skater that fell to place above a skater that did not.

poleptina

Rinkside
I don't like this "one-fall-and-you're done" mentality. I thought the new scoring system was about building up points for all the components and overall quality of the program where EVERYTHING (difficulty, number of jumps, edging, transitions, etc.) goes into what you get for the total, not just whether or not you fell. I think it is fairer this way. Naturally, if a skater falls it does mar the program, but should it be a catastrophic deduction that nullifies all the stuff that he/she did right? No. When Polina fell she was still scored ahead of Mirai at Nationals. I thought it was fair because she had more difficulty, more overall quality, and therefore more total points.

I don't like this "one-fall-and-you're done" mentality. I thought the new scoring system was about building up points for all the components and overall quality of the program where EVERYTHING (difficulty, number of jumps, edging, transitions, etc.) goes into what you get for the total, not just whether or not you fell. I think it is fairer this way. Naturally, if a skater falls it does mar the program, but should it be a catastrophic deduction that nullifies all the stuff that he/she did right? No. When Polina fell she was still scored ahead of Mirai at Nationals. I thought it was fair because she had more difficulty, more overall quality, and therefore more total points.

I admit that I go back and forth on this issue. True, the current judging system is not overly harsh on falls. Thus we have, for the first time in the history of the sport, as far as I know, a men's Olympic figure skating champion who fell twice in his free skating program.

But then again, he attempted two quads, so...

peg

Medalist
I admit that I go back and forth on this issue. True, the current judging system is not overly harsh on falls. Thus we have, for the first time in the history of the sport, as far as I know, a men's Olympic figure skating champion who fell twice in his free skating program.

But then again, he attempted two quads, so...
And to put that into perspective... gymnastics has an Olympic vault silver medalist who fell on one of only two elements she executed. So until we have an Olympic champion who falls on a full 50% of the elements they perform, it's all good ;)