Aspire XP blades? | Golden Skate

Aspire XP blades?

Casey8

Spectator
Hello! I am an adult skater (155cm, 43kg) who has been skating for 2 years and stopped skating for 3 years. Recently, I started skating again (had to re learn lots of things) and bought my second pair of skates which is the jackson freestyle fusion that comes pre mounted with the aspire xp blades ( my previous skates were the jackson glacier). I am currently doing all single jumps except axel (still trying to work on it). However, during spinning, i could only get max of 7 revolution as my toe pick would hit the ice and the spin would stop entirely. I heard that the aspire xps are not great for spins. I was actually considering to switch my blades to the mk pro or coronation ace but i am a little scared if the change in the rocker radius would affect my skating since they have a 7' rocker and the aspire xp have a 8' rocker which i'm used to. Or is it better if i switch to jackson legacy 8? I know that jw have an 8' rocker blades which is the gold seal but it is really pricey and i don't think i need those advance blades for my skill level.
I also found tiny dots of rust in my blades hollow although i always dry my blades and even air my blades to room temperature before my next skating session. Is this because of the metal quality or am i doing something wrong?
Thank you very much!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! I am an adult skater (155cm, 43kg) who has been skating for 2 years and stopped skating for 3 years. Recently, I started skating again (had to re learn lots of things) and bought my second pair of skates which is the jackson freestyle fusion that comes pre mounted with the aspire xp blades ( my previous skates were the jackson glacier). I am currently doing all single jumps except axel (still trying to work on it). However, during spinning, i could only get max of 7 revolution as my toe pick would hit the ice and the spin would stop entirely. I heard that the aspire xps are not great for spins. I was actually considering to switch my blades to the mk pro or coronation ace but i am a little scared if the change in the rocker radius would affect my skating since they have a 7' rocker and the aspire xp have a 8' rocker which i'm used to. Or is it better if i switch to jackson legacy 8? I know that jw have an 8' rocker blades which is the gold seal but it is really pricey and i don't think i need those advance blades for my skill level.
I also found tiny dots of rust in my blades hollow although i always dry my blades and even air my blades to room temperature before my next skating session. Is this because of the metal quality or am i doing something wrong?
Thank you very much!!
Soakers for the issue at the bottom of your post. You'd be fine on either MK pro or JW Coro Ace. It won't take long to get used to them and the spin rocker is MUCH better for your spin quality. Good luck! :)

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
There is no correlation between rust and metal quality. E.g., I have some high-grade and expensive machine-shop tools; they are highly susceptible to rust, and I need to keep them well-oiled.

For skate blades, I use two wipes/two soakers. At the rink, I dry off the blades with the first wipe and put on the first pair of soakers. Since the blades are cold, moisture can still condense on the blades. So when I get home, I remove the first pair pair of soakers, dry off the blades with the second wipe, and put on the second pair of soakers.

This should do the trick in most instances. If you live in a very humid environment, then I would recommend wiping some oil on the blades before putting on the second pair of soakers. You don't need much: just dampen a cloth with some oil, and then wipe the blades with the cloth; it should be just a light film, not dripping. Use any oil compatible with steel: e.g., mineral oil, motor/engine oil, sewing-machine oil, general-purpose household oil, ....; avoid cooking oil.

Last edited:

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This should do the trick in most instances. If you live in a very humid environment, then I would recommend wiping some oil on the blades before putting on the second pair of soakers. You don't need much: just dampen a cloth with some oil, and then wipe the blades with the cloth; it should be just a light film, not dripping. Use any oil compatible with steel: e.g., mineral oil, motor/engine oil, sewing-machine oil, general-purpose household oil, ....; avoid cooking oil.
This has literally saved my blades. My tech recommended it to me a couple years ago and they haven't rusted since.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Buy yourself a pair of Coronation Ace and follow the blade care advice above and you won't look back. Enjoy spinning. :giggle: