Barefoot skating! | Golden Skate

Barefoot skating!

Noki

Spectator
Hi! I tried skating without socks in my Edea Choruses. It was really nice - I felt so close to the ice and it was more comfortable to skate barefoot than with socks.

I am now wondering what I should be aware of when skating barefoot. Is it bad for my skates? (I cleaned my feet before putting my skates on, but of course they still sweat while skating) Should I use some kind of spray, or maybe baby powder? I want to keep my skates clean and maintain good hygiene when skating barefoot.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Noki

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
What kind of socks were you using before? I tried barefoot skating a couple of times and liked it but found it too much of a hassle for me to remove the insoles and spray with alcohol afterwards to avoid any smells and bacteria. I opted for Thinees socks instead and find it gives me the barefoot feeling without having to deal with anything afterwards. Also using the socks made it easier for me to put on and take off. You can try using the alcohol method afterwards but I suspect you would still need to change the insoles after every season since bacteria/smell can linger.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
It was a long time ago, but my pairs partner tried skating barefoot and he liked the feel. After three days, I made him sit on a distant bench when removing his skates. He persisted for a few weeks, and then his blade technician complained when he took his skates in for sharpening. He aired them for several days on his parents' back porch until I and our coach allowed him back on the same bench at practice sessions.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I have a friend that swears by skating barefoot, but I’d be worried about the stink. I only skate in tights (often under pants), or a pair of tights thickness skating socks. Maybe that’s an option for you.

theblade

On the Ice
I sew fast and barefoot, but never considered skating barefoot due to the potential for blisters.

Even with the excellent suggestion of a natural deodorant crystal, you'll probably get more dampness in the skate.

I'm randomly thinking about packets that you use for humid spaces as an experiment to try when airing out your skates, but chances are the smell remains. Some people have tried spritzing unflavored vodka on fabrics to deodorize them. You could perhaps try this with your skates.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I’d worry about my skates chafing my ankles and me getting blisters. If I wear even ankle socks I get blisters lol.

kat_on_ice

Spectator
no new suggestion but will say that baby powder can actually make the stench worse bc it will hold onto the smell and be hard to clean out of your boots/insoles

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
no new suggestion but will say that baby powder can actually make the stench worse bc it will hold onto the smell and be hard to clean out of your boots/insoles
True. Never tried barefoot skating myself, having sensitive skin and needing that soft layer of tights, but I've heard baby powder cakes and then glues itself to the lining of the boot.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I've skated barefoot in Risport Royal Pros and loved it on ice but found it a bit damp in the boots on my Roll Line Lineas. One of my adult skaters happily skates barefoot in hers on ice and has never mentioned any problem with sweat/dampness/odour.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Some people have tried spritzing unflavored vodka on fabrics to deodorize them. You could perhaps try this with your skates.
I don't think that would be a great idea. Vodka is typically 80 proof, with some even higher. That translates to at least 40 volume percent ethyl alcohol. Not great for leather, foam rubber padding, and other materials, if applied on a regular basis.

theblade

On the Ice
This is true. I was just thinking on a plain insole that can be frequently replaced. However, if your insoles are custom, most likely no bueno.