Blade advice please!! | Golden Skate

Blade advice please!!

skaterdoc

Spectator
Hi, I am a former child skater that started skating again as an adult a few months ago. I am currently at the pre-bronze level, doing all of my single jumps except the Axel. However, my spins are HORRIBLE- I just can't seem to find the sweet spot on my spin rocker, even though this was NOT a problem for me as a kid, so I don't understand what is going on. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my blades. I bought my skates after going to a professional skate shop in another state for a fitting (since there is no skate shop where I live), and I ended up getting Ultima Apex Elite blades (my boots are Edea Chorus). I have read that they are flatter than other blades, and I'm wondering if that is somehow impeding my spins. I can't find ANY reviews of Ultima Apex Elite blades online, so they don't seem to be a very popular blade; the pro at the skate shop recommended them and said the profile was similar to pattern 99. Thoughts? Thanks so much.

Last edited:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Yes. All the Ultima (made by Jackson) blades are known to have flatter profiles, even if they claim to have similar profiles to whatever other blade they're compared to. All of them. Unfortunately Jackson is the biggest name in the game in North America, and their boots and blades tend to be pushed more than the others by skate techs. I bet if you switch to a Wilson or MK blade, you'll solve your issue.

Last edited:

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I don’t have any experience with the Elite specifically myself, but general consensus does seem to be that Ultima blades have pretty flat spin rockers. I switched from the Ultima Mirage to the MK Professional myself, and I found it helped my turns and spins a lot (although part of that could also be due to going from an 8’ main rocker on the Ultima to a 7’ on the MK).

skaterdoc

Spectator
Ugh, so frustrating - I skated on Coronation Ace blades as a kid and asked the fitter/tech if I should get those again. I wish I had. I don’t really mind buying new blades though, as long as they help improve my spins. I just don’t know which ones to get and my coach is not helpful!!

Last edited:

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Ugh, so frustrating - I skated on Coronation Ace blades as a kid and asked the fitter/pro if I should get those again. I wish I had. I don’t really mind buying new blades though, as long as they help improve my spins. I just don’t know which ones to get and my coach is not helpful!!
I hear you…I wish it was somehow easier to try out new blades without potentially wasting hundreds if they don’t work out!! 😬

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hi, I am a former child skater that started skating again as an adult a few months ago. I am currently at the pre-bronze level, doing all of my single jumps except the Axel. However, my spins are HORRIBLE- I just can't seem to find the sweet spot on my spin rocker, even though this was NOT a problem for me as a kid, so I don't understand what is going on. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my blades. I bought my skates after going to a professional skate shop in another state for a fitting (since there is no skate shop where I live), and I ended up getting Ultima Apex Elite blades (my boots are Edea Chorus). I have read that they are flatter than other blades, and I'm wondering if that is somehow impeding my spins. BTW, I am 46yo, 5'3" and 120 lbs; not sure if that matters. Is it possible that my spin progress is being held back due to my blades? I can't find ANY reviews of Ultima Apex Elite blades online, so they don't seem to be a very popular blade; the pro at the skate shop recommended them and said the profile was similar to pattern 99. Thoughts? Thanks so much.
While it wasn't an Ultima, my skater had blades made by Eclipse that claimed a profile the same as CA and MK Pro. They served their purpose (I got them cheaply and they were an improvement over the stock Ultima blades, which were really FLAT) but when she switched to the Coronation Ace her spins improved dramatically from day 1. Since then she's a Wilson (now Gold Seal) girl for life. Sad that your coach is of no help on this issue, it really is part of the job as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know if you're moniker means an MD Doc., but we have a skater doc at our rink! She's wonderful and has looked after mine on a couple of occasions. She's a pediatrician and a really good skater! I always feel more comfortable dropping mine off when she's there.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Swap those things for Coronation Ace or MK Professional. I always say the Coronation Ace is pretty much always the right answer and my heart sinks when skaters show up with or tell me they've just bought something else.

skaterdoc

Spectator
While it wasn't an Ultima, my skater had blades made by Eclipse that claimed a profile the same as CA and MK Pro. They served their purpose (I got them cheaply and they were an improvement over the stock Ultima blades, which were really FLAT) but when she switched to the Coronation Ace her spins improved dramatically from day 1. Since then she's a Wilson (now Gold Seal) girl for life. Sad that your coach is of no help on this issue, it really is part of the job as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know if you're moniker means an MD Doc., but we have a skater doc at our rink! She's wonderful and has looked after mine on a couple of occasions. She's a pediatrician and a really good skater! I always feel more comfortable dropping mine off when she's there.
Thanks so much- I'm going to order the Coronation Aces and I hope my spins improve dramatically as well. I'm surprised that my coach isn't very helpful as well. When I needed new boots/blades, she told me to just go to the pro shop at our rink (which is TERRIBLE and only sells entry level Jackson skates). I talked to some other adult skaters and took a trip to Rainbo instead, and I'm very happy with my boots. I'm sure I'll be much happier once I get the Coro Aces. :)

BTW, yes, I'm a doctor (neurologist), and I know of a few other MD skaters out there too!! How cool that there's a pediatrician skater at your rink- are you in California, by any chance? If so I might know her.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thanks so much- I'm going to order the Coronation Aces and I hope my spins improve dramatically as well. I'm surprised that my coach isn't very helpful as well. When I needed new boots/blades, she told me to just go to the pro shop at our rink (which is TERRIBLE and only sells entry level Jackson skates). I talked to some other adult skaters and took a trip to Rainbo instead, and I'm very happy with my boots. I'm sure I'll be much happier once I get the Coro Aces. :)

BTW, yes, I'm a doctor (neurologist), and I know of a few other MD skaters out there too!! How cool that there's a pediatrician skater at your rink- are you in California, by any chance? If so I might know her.
It will be worth the expense, and since you're an adult you don't have to worry about growing out of them. And you can move right into a Gold Seal as you progress.

Yes, I am in Northern California, she practices (medicine) at the same clinic my GP does. I've never seen her at the clinic, only the rink!

Good luck.

TQB

Rinkside

👋Hi! I'm being a dork but had to mention that I'm also a 46 year old former kid skater now skating at your level skating in Choruses on Coro Ace blades (but I'm a lawyer, not a doctor)! Welcome friend!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

I don't really like to have to say this but it is quite important to realise/understand that there are coaches who are just not that invested in the progress of adult skaters. In light of your coach not being "very helpful", I'd suggest you take a long, hard look at how she coaches you compared with her other skaters/younger skaters. Also compare her coaching style with you, with the styles and methods of other coaches when teaching adult skaters. You may decide that you'd be better off with a different coach.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't really like to have to say this but it is quite important to realise/understand that there are coaches who are just not that invested in the progress of adult skaters. In light of your coach not being "very helpful", I'd suggest you take a long, hard look at how she coaches you compared with her other skaters/younger skaters. Also compare her coaching style with you, with the styles and methods of other coaches when teaching adult skaters. You may decide that you'd be better off with a different coach.
:clap:(y)

Aimee-01

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Hi, I am a former child skater that started skating again as an adult a few months ago. I am currently at the pre-bronze level, doing all of my single jumps except the Axel. However, my spins are HORRIBLE- I just can't seem to find the sweet spot on my spin rocker, even though this was NOT a problem for me as a kid, so I don't understand what is going on. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my blades. I bought my skates after going to a professional skate shop in another state for a fitting (since there is no skate shop where I live), and I ended up getting Ultima Apex Elite blades (my boots are Edea Chorus). I have read that they are flatter than other blades, and I'm wondering if that is somehow impeding my spins. BTW, I am 46yo, 5'3" and 120 lbs; not sure if that matters. Is it possible that my spin progress is being held back due to my blades? I can't find ANY reviews of Ultima Apex Elite blades online, so they don't seem to be a very popular blade; the pro at the skate shop recommended them and said the profile was similar to pattern 99. Thoughts? Thanks so much.
I find that when my skates are sharp I have much better spins. I currently don’t have ultima blades but I do have Jackson boots Of course this could just be a preference to me but I hope it helps :)

marcopolobear

Rinkside
Country
Canada
That's the worst,

I had a coach who did things like that too, plus she would look at her watch during the lesson to time it precisely, even though she would socialize half the time! If one of the other coaches has a specialty that you are interested in, that is an easy way to do the switch, but it should be fine to say, "I just feel like a change!" Most coaches I've had tend to be more flexible with adults anyway as their main focus is usually the young ones. But I can't imagine she keeps many young students for long if she runs her lessons like that with them :-/

Anyway, you truly deserve a coach who matches your dedication!

M.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thank you, and I agree... I have been strongly considering switching coaches, but it feels awkward as she is the head of our LTS program and I'm not sure how to tell her that I want to switch. She has also missed several lessons (after I arrived at the rink, she told me she wasn't able to teach me), and she is always late and/or cutting our lessons short. I really want a coach that will take my skating seriously. I skate at least 10-12 hours a week and am very motivated.
Yes, it's hard and awkward, but sometimes there's no other choice. My skater's first coach was often late, cancelled at the last minute and cut lessons short. That's incredibly hard on a 9 year old who really wants to learn. We really liked her personally, and she was a great skater (multiple Canadian national championships and Olympic ice dancer) and a good coach (especially for MITF and edge discipline) when she was there. We finally had enough let downs and said goodbye. In the before (COVID) times it got better and we would briefly chat, but I always felt a teeny bit of resentment from her for moving on. Oh, and one of my skater's current coaches (she has 2) has several adult skaters and coaches them almost the same as mine, a little more forgiving than she is with mine, but gives it her all in her lessons with them.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you, and I agree... I have been strongly considering switching coaches, but it feels awkward as she is the head of our LTS program and I'm not sure how to tell her that I want to switch. She has also missed several lessons (after I arrived at the rink, she told me she wasn't able to teach me), and she is always late and/or cutting our lessons short. I really want a coach that will take my skating seriously. I skate at least 10-12 hours a week and am very motivated.
Talk to the skating director and they can assist you. That is your best route (as long as that's not the same person as head of LTS program). Good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I find that when my skates are sharp I have much better spins. I currently don’t have ultima blades but I do have Jackson boots Of course this could just be a preference to me but I hope it helps :)
Yeah but what blades DO you have? It's all about core centering and the rocker, newly sharpened plays a very minor factor.
From experience very sharp blades suck.