Blade advice please!! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Blade advice please!!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thank you, and I agree... I have been strongly considering switching coaches, but it feels awkward as she is the head of our LTS program and I'm not sure how to tell her that I want to switch. She has also missed several lessons (after I arrived at the rink, she told me she wasn't able to teach me), and she is always late and/or cutting our lessons short. I really want a coach that will take my skating seriously. I skate at least 10-12 hours a week and am very motivated.
So since you went to Rainbo, it sounds like you’re in the Chicago area? There are a ton of rinks there, so if your skating director isn’t helpful, maybe look into other rinks? I’m no longer in the area, but Robert Crown Center in Evanston has (or used to have) an active adult skating community, and I think they just built a new rink.

skaterdoc

Spectator
So since you went to Rainbo, it sounds like you’re in the Chicago area? There are a ton of rinks there, so if your skating director isn’t helpful, maybe look into other rinks? I’m no longer in the area, but Robert Crown Center in Evanston has (or used to have) an active adult skating community, and I think they just built a new rink.

I actually went to the Rainbo in Nashville :)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you, and I agree... I have been strongly considering switching coaches, but it feels awkward as she is the head of our LTS program and I'm not sure how to tell her that I want to switch. She has also missed several lessons (after I arrived at the rink, she told me she wasn't able to teach me), and she is always late and/or cutting our lessons short. I really want a coach that will take my skating seriously. I skate at least 10-12 hours a week and am very motivated.
With behaviour like that, I think you'll find she'll be quite amenable to you switching coaches. She's not exactly showing enthusiasm for teaching you! I was trying to think of a way you could approach it in conversation that would make it easier on her but, frankly, I think that as long as you are polite, there's no need to try and "cushion the blow". I'd definitely mention your reason for wanting a different coach to the skating director, if you have one. Your coach's attitude is unacceptable. I hope you find a much better working relationship with a different one. There are coaches out there who really enjoy teaching adults. I was one of those.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I actually went to the Rainbo in Nashville :)
Oh how funny - I forgot they opened a place down there! I pretty much know nothing about Nashville except that the Scott Hamilton Academy has LTS programs at the Ford Center in two locations that include adults. So if that’s not where you currently are and one of those locations is convenient, perhaps worth looking into. Good luck!

Aimee-01

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Yeah but what blades DO you have? It's all about core centering and the rocker, newly sharpened plays a very minor factor.
From experience very sharp blades suck.
I have the matrix blades. And as I said before it might just be my preference

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I also prefer my blades as sharp as possible for spins, jumps, everything. I also skate on a wider than average ROH which means that the sharpness isn't sticky or anything.