Blades for coaching | Golden Skate

Blades for coaching

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a new pair of Edea Ice Flies (my other ones were getting too broken down and it was time for a new pair for training), but I still have my old boots. I want to put a blade on the old ones, and was wondering if anyone had advice as to good blades that I could use for coaching. I don't want something super expensive or advanced, but I do want something that will allow me to demonstrate jumps and spins without feeling vastly different from my current blades (Gold Seals). I have another pair of old Ice Flies that I put Pattern 99 revs on (the blades just didn't work for me, and I'm not a fan of that style of blade--an expensive mistake, but now I use those for outdoor skating and such), but those feel too advanced for coaching, and as I mentioned, I much prefer a profile similar or exact to the Gold Seal. My skate tech recommended a few options (and I trust his judgement wholeheartedly), but I am curious to see what you guys have to say on here as well. I wanted to get more input from people, and from coaches. Thank you guys!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a new pair of Edea Ice Flies (my other ones were getting too broken down and it was time for a new pair for training), but I still have my old boots. I want to put a blade on the old ones, and was wondering if anyone had advice as to good blades that I could use for coaching. I don't want something super expensive or advanced, but I do want something that will allow me to demonstrate jumps and spins without feeling vastly different from my current blades (Gold Seals). I have another pair of old Ice Flies that I put Pattern 99 revs on (the blades just didn't work for me, and I'm not a fan of that style of blade--an expensive mistake, but now I use those for outdoor skating and such), but those feel too advanced for coaching, and as I mentioned, I much prefer a profile similar or exact to the Gold Seal. My skate tech recommended a few options (and I trust his judgement wholeheartedly), but I am curious to see what you guys have to say on here as well. I wanted to get more input from people, and from coaches. Thank you guys!
Hello and welcome!

The Paramount 440SS and 420SS are on the Gold Seal profile but aren't much cheaper than buying a Gold Seal, unless you can find them on clearance at a reputable online skate shop. Be aware that they have the runner that requires the special jig to sharpen and not everyone has or can do this. You could look at the higher level Matrix or Apex blades but be aware that at least the latter have a flatter rocker. Like for example: Skaters who wear MK Gold Star blades could choose the Matrix Nova as a lighter weight blade and they are about 100 US $ cheaper.

I know many that drop down a level and coach in JW Coronation Aces or MK Pros, but it depends on what level skaters you are coaching and what jumps you would be demonstrating, if any at all. You definitely don't want to be showing jumps that are higher level than what the blade is rated for.

:cool:Good luck!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I personally coach in my old free skates (pattern 99) or dance books (MK dance) and I demonstrate single jumps and most spins in both. I also demonstrate take offs in hockey skates (no actual jump), so from a coaching persepective, the blade is really what you're most comfortable in. Remember as a coach you have other options for demonstrating such as video or other skaters. I'm one of the few coaches I know who still demonstrates things myself. I don't know of anyone who demonstrates jumps higher than singles, even if they can do them. You should be fine in any blade rated for singles.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I personally coach in my old free skates (pattern 99) or dance books (MK dance) and I demonstrate single jumps and most spins in both. I also demonstrate take offs in hockey skates (no actual jump), so from a coaching persepective, the blade is really what you're most comfortable in. Remember as a coach you have other options for demonstrating such as video or other skaters. I'm one of the few coaches I know who still demonstrates things myself. I don't know of anyone who demonstrates jumps higher than singles, even if they can do them. You should be fine in any blade rated for singles.
I do, and I still do. I also know others who do, so it's not that rare.

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I'm only 19, so I demonstrate as many of the jumps/spins as I can for my students. I figure if I can, and it helps them, why not show the whole thing? I always ask them if they prefer to see parts of the jump, or the whole thing, and many of them want to see how the whole jump looks.