Boots heat molded or blades attached first? | Golden Skate

Boots heat molded or blades attached first?

christy

On the Ice
I have managed to find some boots to try, but the store doesn't have the blades I want, however another store does, so the question is do I get the boots heated when I get them from store 1, or wait and have them heated / molded at store 2 where they will mount the blades?

christy

On the Ice
Jackson. The store I am getting the blades from stock them, but nothing in my size.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jackson. The store I am getting the blades from stock them, but nothing in my size.
* You can heat mold them either before or after mounting the blades. I believe you have Matrix blades, so no issue baking them in the oven. [ETA: With blades that are not all metal, I would play it safe and check with the blade manufacturer to see whether they can be baked under the procedure specified by the boot manufacturer. This would pertain, e.g., to blades with non-metallic chassis (such as Revolution and Phoenix) and to Paramount (runner and chassis are all metal, but runner is affixed to the chassis with adhesive).]

* Check on any charges incurred for heat molding. In my area, techs don't charge for heat molding if you buy the boots from them. They do charge if you buy the boots elsewhere. Similarly on charges for blade mounting.

* Jacksons are fully baked in an oven. That's good. If your tech will allow it, you can get a better mold if you stand rather than sit. The molding process takes ~15 min, during which you have to stand or sit still. If you stand, you can hold still for that long if the blades are not mounted. A bit tricky if the blades are mounted. If you have corrective insoles/footbeds/orthotics, insert those instead of the stock footbeds for the molding. The insoles/footbeds/orthotics are inserted into the boots after the boots come out of the oven; insoles/footbeds/orthotics are usually not bakeable.

* ETA: Is one tech more reliable than the other?

Last edited: