Brian Joubert Injured | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert Injured

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Apparently he has a back injury which he worsened at nationals

He is considering withdrawing

So I guess you know who is up next.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What a BUMMER!!!

Poor guy. I hope he was not planning on going to the GPF. His Nats are over and he needs to concentrate on the Olys.

I looked over the substitutes. I don't think Plush will go; I don't think Johnny will go. So it may be that they send Kevin v.d Perren, but I don't know the rule on substitutes. Although Kevin would be next in line after Johnny, he is not listed as a substitute. Maybe they just limit the field. Dunno.

Joe

I don't know if it would be of any value for Johnny to go. I'm sure Priscilla is working him on some of the problems with the routine and maybe the quad.

Think of what he has to do: Get all his gear and clothes together; get on a plane and fly from Dover, Del, to Tokyo (16 hours?) get to a hotel; unwind; forget the jet lag; practice skating for the competition; do the two part competition; hang out for interviews; go back tohotel; pack up, fly back to Dover. The whole gig? Maybe 2 weeks including another shot of jetlag. Whatever the medal, he will not be skating against 2 of his top competitors.

Is it worth the lost Nationals practice time? just because we want to see him.

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I don't know if it would be of any value for Johnny to go. ...
Is it worth the lost Nationals practice time? just because we want to see him.

Joe

IMO it would only be worth it if he intends to attempt the quad in competition...landing that in a clean program would be a wonderful competition experience for him.

emma said:
IMO it would only be worth it if he intends to attempt the quad in competition...landing that in a clean program would be a wonderful competition experience for him.
I don't think he is going after the gold in Torino. I think he would like the bronze. His whole program is worth a lot of points without the quad. I have the feeling there will never be a quad in his life. Just a feeling. Not scientific.

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I don't think he is going after the gold in Torino. I think he would like the bronze. His whole program is worth a lot of points without the quad. I have the feeling there will never be a quad in his life. Just a feeling. Not scientific.

Joe

You very well may be right about that...I guess I'm thinking he starts putting it in this year or forgets it forever, and it seems unlikely he would throw it in at Nationals without prior experience...etc....of course, that's not very scientific either.

Regardless, I'm sorry about Joubert, hope he recuperates quickly....

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I don't think it makes sense for Johnny to try to do the quad at this point. He's had such a rocky start to the season, he'd be better off getting back what he is already good at.

Ptichka said:
I don't think it makes sense for Johnny to try to do the quad at this point. He's had such a rocky start to the season, he'd be better off getting back what he is already good at.
Exactly. He's not going for the top of the podium in Torino where he may need a quad. His scores are extremely high without a quad. He's battling Joubert and Lambiel for that third spot. How well their quads play is important to them because they have already completed quads in several competitions.

And getting back to what he is already good at would preclude an exhausting trip to Japan just before US Nationals.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
Exactly. He's not going for the top of the podium in Torino where he may need a quad. His scores are extremely high without a quad. He's battling Joubert and Lambiel for that third spot. How well their quads play is important to them because they have already completed quads in several competitions.

And getting back to what he is already good at would preclude an exhausting trip to Japan just before US Nationals.

Joe

Battling Joubert and Lambiel for that third spot? Who on earth has a toehold on the second spot in your eyes?

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Now that Plushenko has officialy withdrew and Johnny Weir is now the 3rd and last alternate. I believe this is a huge gift for Johnny considering Alissa will not be the lone American entrant

euterpe

Medalist
Weir doesn't have to go to Tokyo. The alternates had to remain on standby until noon (Tokyo time) on Monday, December 12. It's now Tuesday in Tokyo, so according to the rules, Weir doesn't have to go to the GPF if he doesn't want to.

euterpe

Medalist
I'd like Weir to go, too---but I'm not counting on it. With the lengthy travel and jet lag, he'd be losing lose a week to 10 days' practice time within 3 weeks of Nationals.

slutskayafan21 said:
Battling Joubert and Lambiel for that third spot? Who on earth has a toehold on the second spot in your eyes?
I reread my previous posts and I did not mention a toehold. I have said before that I feel it will be a European sweep. I am not negating Oda or whomever, or Sandhu and Buttle. All three spots are open if you want to be technical. Pick your choices if you wish. that's what predictions are all about, or better still discuss your position on the Mens Final at Torino. All of us, have to be aware that an unexpected catastrophe might happen, such as Joubert now.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
European sweep? Sorry, but I don't consider Joubert a podium threat at all. He hasn't had his act together this season (even worse than last year at this time), and now he has an injury. Worst of all, he seems to have lost his confidence.

Plushenko, for sure, Lambiel, maybe. Lindemann? Nope. I don't see who the 3rd Euro man would be.

IMO, that 3rd spot is wide open.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
I reread my previous posts and I did not mention a toehold. I have said before that I feel it will be a European sweep. I am not negating Oda or whomever, or Sandhu and Buttle. All three spots are open if you want to be technical. Pick your choices if you wish. that's what predictions are all about, or better still discuss your position on the Mens Final at Torino. All of us, have to be aware that an unexpected catastrophe might happen, such as Joubert now.

Joe

Well you mentioned Weir would like to vye for the bronze against Joubert and Lambiel. To me that would seem to imply you believed Lambiel and Joubert to both by vyeing for the bronze as well, which led me to be curious why you believed was in line for the silver right now. If I misinterpreted you I am sorry.
I am pretty sure Lambiel will be bidding for atleast the silver in Turin though, and I would consider Joubert a long shot for any medal at best right now.

Right now I would consider Plushenko a lock for the gold, Lambiel the early favorite for the silver, and Buttle/Sandhu/Takahashi the three skaters with the best chances of the bronze(or the silver if Lambiel makes enough mistakes).
If Oda goes in place of Takahashi, Weir and Lysaceck could be dark horses, since Lysacek is very consistent, Weir used to be and could become so again, and Buttle and Sandhu are also inconsistent.

Ximena

Final Flight
In the ISU page, Jhonny Weir is no longer listed, up until yesterday, his name had (invited) next to it, I guess he declined and there will be a GPF of only 5 men.
Besides Jeff and Eman, has any of the remianing even been at the GPF?

euterpe

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Right now I would consider Plushenko a lock for the gold, Lambiel the early favorite for the silver, and Buttle/Sandhu/Takahashi the three skaters with the best chances of the bronze(or the silver if Lambiel makes enough mistakes).
If Oda goes in place of Takahashi, Weir and Lysaceck could be dark horses, since Lysacek is very consistent, Weir used to be and could become so again, and Buttle and Sandhu are also inconsistent.

Takahashi is notoriously inconsistent and he is even more so at the really big events. He had a commanding lead at NHK and then blew it in the FS. I think Oda is a more consistent, if more immature skater. It's a tossup between them and I think the JF will choose the Olympic skater based on the results of the GPF, Nationals and maybe even 4CC.

I don't see why you favor Buttle and Sandhu if Takahashi goes, but not if Oda goes. Buttle and Sandhu are both inconsistent no matter which Japanese skater they compete against.

Weir has recovered from his ankle injury, but Lysacek is still having problems with his hip. Both skaters are very consistent when in competitive shape, and I think Lysacek can still skate well even if he continues to have pain in his hip, although he has to be conservative with his spins.