Brian Joubert Injured | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert Injured

Ximena said:
In the ISU page, Jhonny Weir is no longer listed, up until yesterday, his name had (invited) next to it, I guess he declined and there will be a GPF of only 5 men.
What a sad staet of affairs. That tells you how much anyone cares about the Grand Prix. They can't get anyone to come to the party.

MM :eek:hwell:

Chuckum and Slutskayafan - I made the prediction of a European sweep way back in a giddy moment when uberpraise was being made on the NAmerican men. It was nothing personal. I am not a patriotic fan type. As time went on I think inspite of the facetious prediction, and after watching SA and SC live, I thought Brian could make the podium in the Olys. Mind you, I just may change my mind with the results at Europeans. Brian has solid jumps whereas I don't see them in many other of the men's jumps. For whatever reason he has lost some consistency in his skating but I am not convinced that Sandhu has gained his consistency in skating either. Buttle has been having trouble with the Wilson intricate choreography albeit a wonderful program. Johnny, skates either with brilliance or somewhat lacking if he misses an element. So my take on the N.Americans is just sketchy. I feel more confident with the Europeans at this point in time (anxiously awaiting the results of Euros). Oda or Takehashi would be my alternate choice if one of the europeans falter. Oda in particular. He is young and takes risks easier than others.

eurterpe - I agree with your list of podium potentials. 3 of them will make the podium

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
euterpe said:
Takahashi is notoriously inconsistent and he is even more so at the really big events. He had a commanding lead at NHK and then blew it in the FS. I think Oda is a more consistent, if more immature skater. It's a tossup between them and I think the JF will choose the Olympic skater based on the results of the GPF, Nationals and maybe even 4CC.

I don't see why you favor Buttle and Sandhu if Takahashi goes, but not if Oda goes. Buttle and Sandhu are both inconsistent no matter which Japanese skater they compete against.

Weir has recovered from his ankle injury, but Lysacek is still having problems with his hip. Both skaters are very consistent when in competitive shape, and I think Lysacek can still skate well even if he continues to have pain in his hip, although he has to be conservative with his spins.

I think Buttle and Sandhu have a better chance vs Oda than Takahashi since Takahashi at his best is more likely to put up scores they cant make any mistakes or they will lose, whereas with Oda they probably have more margin of error. Just my opinion.

As for Lysacek and Weir, I agree both can be very consistent. I dont think Lysacek can do enough on his own to medal though, he would need help from others and more help than he will get in Turin. Weir probably has the better chance of the two if he is consistent, but he is not as consistent as Lysacek right now.