Status
Not open for further replies.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Welcome to the new season thread!

Good Luck to all the Solo Dancers and Couples competing in Sheffield on Monday, July 4th, many of whom are making their debuts.

Schedule and Entries here:

I so wish I could go, not that I could see anyway as I have cataracts in both eyes and am waiting for surgery in August. 🙏👍

A special good luck to Ashlie & Atl making their Junior Debut. :hap10: 🥰:cool::clap::cheer::rock:

Last edited by a moderator:

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Alana Pang’s new free dance for the Solo Dance Championships on Thursday. Posted to instagram last night.
Great skating skills ! Another one of Mark Hanretty’s students Free dance 2022
It seems there's a fault with the link and everytime it goes to something else. So here's Alana's page and it's the first post. 🥰

Thank you so much for posting Amanda. Wow! Wonderful Skating Skills and Performance by Alana! She will be unbeatable! That Sliding Element is amazing. :rock: :cheer::clap::hap10:

I would love to watch and am willing to pay but no reply from BISTV to my message, so we can assume they are not covering what will be very entertaining Solo Dance Championships. Why can't we have a season ticket subscription like the USFS does? I would pay it, and it could be a revenue stream for BIS. Our talented skaters need more support, more coverage, more media interest, more sponsorship. They deserve it! :hap10:🥰🥰🥰

Talking of Mark Hanretty, he has also choreographed the Latvian's RD & FD this season, Aurelija & Luke who train in the UK.

Last edited:

Amandapriestly

Spectator
It seems there's a fault with the link and everytime it goes to something else. So here's Alana's page and it's the first post. 🥰

Thank you so much for posting Amanda. Wow! Wonderful Skating Skills and Performance by Alana! She will be unbeatable! That Sliding Element is amazing. :rock: :cheer::clap::hap10:

I would love to watch and am willing to pay but no reply from BISTV to my message, so we can assume they are not covering what will be very entertaining Solo Dance Championships. Why can't we have a season ticket subscription like the USFS does? I would pay it, and it could be a revenue stream for BIS. Our talented skaters need more support, more coverage, more media interest, more sponsorship. They deserve it! :hap10:🥰🥰🥰

Talking of Mark Hanretty, he has also choreographed the Latvian's RD & FD this season, Aurelija & Luke who train in the UK.

The Junior ice dancers this year are very very strong. I’m excited about seeing Lily Bakhtiari’s free dance choreographer by Christopher Dean. I’ve not followed the solo dance series this season but i imagine the choreo must be phenomenal. Baktihari may challenge Alana and be going for gold ! Interesting to see how this Championships plays out and who makes it onto the podium
I totally agree there is not enough coverage of solo ice dance. Especially since they are the new up and coming.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I started a thread about the story over in The Edge about half an hour ago, but I just realised that I should have posted about it in here as well.

BBC Northern Ireland are currently running a fascinating and inspirational story about a young local skater.

As a preview, here are the first 4 paragraphs (the same as is displayed on the BBC's teletext service):

An 11-year-old girl, who is autistic and has ADHD, has said she struggled to express herself until she discovered ice skating.

Teddy Weston is a British and World champion in inclusive ice skating and is one of the first to represent NI.

Inclusive ice skating provides a safe space for people with additional needs and their families to enjoy the sport.

Teddy's mum, Claire, is hoping more children, like her daughter, can get involved in ice skating.

Full Story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-61951584

It's so good to see somebody putting Our Wee Country on the map in another branch of figure skating.

All the best for the future Teddy!

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The Junior ice dancers this year are very very strong. I’m excited about seeing Lily Bakhtiari’s free dance choreographer by Christopher Dean. I’ve not followed the solo dance series this season but i imagine the choreo must be phenomenal. Baktihari may challenge Alana and be going for gold ! Interesting to see how this Championships plays out and who makes it onto the podium..
I totally agree there is not enough coverage of solo ice dance. Especially since they are the new up and coming

I finally got a reply from BIS TV this morning.

"Hi, We are not covering this event unfortunately. We will not be showing any events until Aug or Sept"

I would love to see Lily Bakhtiari"s program choreographed by Christopher Dean.

:(:(:(

ice_fan88

Spectator
Hi all - been a long time reader here but got excited and created an account as I wanted to share this little British star I just came across on Instagram. She's got a youtube channel too. Only a handful of videos on youtube but looks like she is really enjoying her skating.

According to her instagram she's 7 and training in the US at preliminary level. Landing her doubles now and got her axel at 6!

Instagram
Youtube

Hope she keeps on with her skating journey!

Last edited:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Phill Hersh is reporting that British Ice Skating has bid the the GP event that was originally being held in China. Apparently in Sheffield. Let’s see if it happens.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Yay! Desperate to find out about tickets now! Although, when I looked earlier, the BIS site doesn't say a thing about it, which is par for the course.
Hope they publicise it better than they do the British Championships.....

It's fantastic news though - is this the first time a Grand Prix Event has been held in the UK - does anyone know?

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hope they publicise it better than they do the British Championships.....

It's fantastic news though - is this the first time a Grand Prix Event has been held in the UK - does anyone know?
Yes, it is! We've hosted Europeans & Worlds but never a GP before. We used to host the annual Autumn International at Richmond before they introduced the Grand Prix.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The long lost series made by John Curry for BBC Daytime has been uploaded by the wonderful Floskate to YouTube. It was a learn to skate series of 5 episodes he made with young and Adult skaters around the late 80s at Dundonald Rink in Northern Ireland. Great to have every episode to view,

:hap10: 🥰 :cool::thank:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Not sure how people feel about gossip but The Skating Lesson is reporting this:

An interesting loophole: TJ Nyman is attempting to skate with Haley Beavers. They will represent the UK and be coached by Dalilah--thus, they are not subject to the U.S. Center for Safe Sport. #figureskating (link)

I’m hoping someone at British Ice Skating sees sense and can stop this from happening. However I hear that Nyman is actually a British citizen so even they might not be able to stop it.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

I’m hoping someone at British Ice Skating sees sense and can stop this from happening. However I hear that Nyman is actually a British citizen so even they might not be able to stop it.
Flabbergasted by this news! o_O(n)

Er, no thanks. TeamGB has 2 Senior teams raring to go this season and lower level Pairs for the first time in years. Never heard of Haley Beavers. Why would BIS want to be associated with a Coach under investigation for Skater abuse, as anyone who has read Tara's account will know?

Dreamer57

Record Breaker

And we have a host GP where they could potentially debut :drama::eek:

I think BIS can choose who they want competing for them, I find it unlikely they would turn away a new pair given how small the fed is and internationally our strengths are more towards ice dance now.

Happy for the upcoming Cup of Sheffield!!
On another note, gutted that I'm abroad at the time when the GP actually comes to the U.K. :( Would have loved to see Fear/Gibson and Vaipan-Law/Digby live, now I have to worry about whether I can get a stream to work! :laugh: maybe I'll look towards the potential 2026 euros...

ucrgirl

On the Ice
The TSL news was that TJ was "trying" to skate with Haley. Maybe that potential partnership will be like when TJ tried to skate with Tatiana Savchenko (I can't spell names well). There are many reasons partnerships don't work out but TJ seems to have quite a high number that don't pan out. I cannot remember the last time I saw him compete.

Reactions: DSQ
Status
Not open for further replies.