Bruised big toe nails | Golden Skate

Bruised big toe nails

lorisk8

Spectator
im having both big toe nail bruising badly since getting new blades (Phantom revs). This bruising before the new blades used to happen time to time in my same boots with my old phantoms but only if I jump a ton in a week. I’m almost positive it’s the new blades this most recent time because I’m still on a temp mount and not jumping (can’t with 3 screws in) And the only change is them. 2 weeks into just footwork and spin, while making sure I like them before the permanent mount, my toes are more bruised now then I ever got with a ton of jumping. My theory is, I can’t center spins and not drag toe pic on these blades so I’ve been attempting to push harder on my ball of the foot which in doing so points my toe nail up hard into the skate. when I spin I’m either toe pick dragging or on the flat. no in between. My theory is the spin spot is too far back past my ball of my foot and the bruised toe nails are from trying to make a blade work that’s not right for my foot. I may add I’m a junior level skater so spinning isn't new. Also I read that spin centers can vary depending on toe size.(?)I have very small size 5.5 feet with super short toes.
Has anyone here ever experienced this or know anyone that did? Curious what they did and if going back to my old style blades will get me back my spins.

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I've never tried the Phantom revs, but I have tried JW's revs in both the P99 and Gold Seal version, and honestly, they're not my favorite.

Did you have the revs before, or just the regular phantoms? What boot are you in?

Sunshine247

On the Ice
I’d love to hear more about how short toes changes the optimal position of the blade! My DD inherited The opposite, long toes so we all wear our shoes to fit the ball of our foot first. Does that mean the blades should be mounted a hair farther back or should my skaters just adjust. Are these issues fixed by shifting the blade?

lorisk8

Spectator
I've never tried the Phantom revs, but I have tried JW's revs in both the P99 and Gold Seal version, and honestly, they're not my favorite.

Did you have the revs before, or just the regular phantoms? What boot are you in?
Ive always been in reg phantoms but decided to try the revs this time. I wear stock Sp Teri and was fit by George for them before he retired. So pretty confident in my sizing. He didn’t think I needed customs.

from what I read online short toes would mean to take the blade more “flush” towards the toe, long toes take the blade more towards the heel/back. I’ve never had a skate tech look at this though. My current blades are exact toe to heel on my boot with no wiggle room front or back and I read sometimes buying the next size shorter blade can help give “wiggle room” to help find the sweet spot. If you ask me this seems like a lot Of messing around to get back on track.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ive always been in reg phantoms but decided to try the revs this time. I wear stock Sp Teri and was fit by George for them before he retired. So pretty confident in my sizing. He didn’t think I needed customs.

from what I read online short toes would mean to take the blade more “flush” towards the toe, long toes take the blade more towards the heel/back. I’ve never had a skate tech look at this though. My current blades are exact toe to heel on my boot with no wiggle room front or back and I read sometimes buying the next size shorter blade can help give “wiggle room” to help find the sweet spot. If you ask me this seems like a lot Of messing around to get back on track.
If it were me, I'd get my boots checked and see if they aren't fitting short, also go back to traditional Phantom blade. I have no good things to say about Revs.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I thought only dance blades should fit the sole exactly, front to back, and that for freestyle blades the ideal is to have a little bit of room in the back (maybe for this very reason)? How did your previous standard Phantoms measure compared to the boot?

You didn't get new boots, right? Just new blades? Just go back to standard Phantoms like Ic3Rabbit says. Does seem like lately I'm seeing a lot of people saying how their new revs are not the same as their previous standard blades.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I thought only dance blades should fit the sole exactly, front to back, and that for freestyle blades the ideal is to have a little bit of room in the back (maybe for this very reason)? How did your previous standard Phantoms measure compared to the boot?

You didn't get new boots, right? Just new blades? Just go back to standard Phantoms like Ic3Rabbit says. Does seem like lately I'm seeing a lot of people saying how their new revs are not the same as their previous standard blades.
I skate at a pretty big club full of skaters who are nationally ranked. Of those skaters, only three of them liked the revolution blades that they switched to. They aren't all they're hyped up to be.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I skate at a pretty big club full of skaters who are nationally ranked. Of those skaters, only three of them liked the revolution blades that they switched to. They aren't all they're hyped up to be.
Honestly, carbon fibre is nice and strong but for me rev's just didn't feel balanced enough. I much prefer ones which are solid steel (traditional blades), or have an aluminium runner (Matrix supreme/Elite). Rev's were more responsive, but often I had to hold back to avoid going to strongly with them or I was unable to do what I intended, and I felt the "grip" and the "bite" wasn't what I wanted. I was getting on fine with them, it just wasn't comfortable. (I wore them for two weeks - borrowed second hand as my new blades hadn't arrived and my old one's were broken)
The worst was trying to do catch-foot spins. These were something I don't enjoy doing with equipment I liked, but the shape was wrong to grab and I felt pain in my fingers after every spin.

It gave me more height on jumps when I controlled everything properly, but I occasionally "skidded" on the pick with toe jumps and then lose height that way, and have to compensate by pulling in as much as I could and only just being able to squeeze a jump out two-footed or on a big lean with an un-secure landing. Even worse was when I turned triples into doubles which I never normally did.

Of course this could just be a bad pair, but the skater who used them before said they were working fine.

In reality I would go for Gold seal (normal) or Jackson Matrix Supreme (Both of which I enjoyed skating in, and whilst spinning and turning was different between the two the jumps remained consistent) over revolution blades any day.

I'm not sure how Phoenix series will stack up, but looking at a spec sheet the Pheonix Gold isn't fully comparable to gold seal (in terms of tapered edges and blade thickness), so I'm not sure it will be as successful as gold seal in things other than jumping.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm not sure how Phoenix series will stack up, but looking at a spec sheet the Pheonix Gold isn't fully comparable to gold seal (in terms of tapered edges and blade thickness), so I'm not sure it will be as successful as gold seal in things other than jumping.
I know someone who switched from Gold Seal to Pheonix Gold. She likes them, but says they aren't the same and she wasn't really liking her Gold Seals much and it was a needed change for her.

@ Everyone with Gold Seal: If you like your Gold Seals and they're perfectly fine for you, don't switch. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. In reality, you have more weight fluctuation in your own body from eating breakfast than you do from a blade and I know blade weight is one of the main reasons most people switched.