Bruno Marcotte: 'The door is wide open' | Golden Skate

Bruno Marcotte: 'The door is wide open'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Coach Bruno Marcotte touches upon the expansion of the pairs' skating, exposure and putting together a good team, same-gender teams, and the decline in technical difficulty.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
It's nice to read about a view of the coach, and also that he isn't despairing about the lack of numbers in the discipline at the moment. Still fighting to get the BV up for throw quads and quad twists!
I agree, it is nice to see a positive view of the pairs discipline.
I also like that fact he points out that a number of teams doing sbs or throw doubles will be working towards/perfecting triples. Conti/Macii are a great example of this; in the 2020-21, season they were doing double twist and throw 2Lo, and now they are European champions with all triples in their programs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree, it is nice to see a positive view of the pairs discipline.
I also like that fact he points out that a number of teams doing sbs or throw doubles will be working towards/perfecting triples. Conti/Macii are a great example of this; in the 2020-21, season they were doing double twist and throw 2Lo, and now they are European champions with all triples in their programs.
we see it as well with the new pairs this year.. teams doing double throws and already picking up triples...

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also very impressed with Bruno, his positivity for the pairs discipline, and his approach to skaters to stay "outside their head":

You should not try to skate clean, you should just trust your training and be in the moment and not overthink.

Also interesting how he communicates with Riku and Ryuichi, and understands their body language. :)

Weathergal

Medalist
Enjoyed the interview! I thought what Bruno said about singles and pairs being in the same training environment was interesting. I remember Bruno coaching some single skaters as well -- like Elladj Balde ❤️ and Niki Wories. I don't know if he still coaches any singles skaters.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Enjoyed the interview! I thought what Bruno said about singles and pairs being in the same training environment was interesting. I remember Bruno coaching some single skaters as well -- like Elladj Balde ❤️ and Niki Wories. I don't know if he still coaches any singles skaters.
The skate Oakville webpage says he still supervises their elite program. . https://www.skateoakville.ca/skating-programs-oakville/competitive-singles-oakville/
Our competitive program is overseen by coach Bruno Marcotte. Bruno is a level 5 NCCP certified coach who has had medalists at several National, International, World and Olympic Championships. Bruno works with singles and pairs skaters sharing his knowledge, experience and mentorship with skaters and coaches.

Regarding current single skating students, no idea. The move to Oakville is "relatively recent"... it may take a while before he develops single skaters we know about.... while the pairs is another story, as he had some skaters go to him specifically to train with him.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Regarding current single skating students, no idea. The move to Oakville is "relatively recent"... it may take a while before he develops single skaters we know about.... while the pairs is another story, as he had some skaters go to him specifically to train with him.
It seems even more recent because COVID's effect.

I looked up an original announcement of his move to verify the date, and it only mentioned pairs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It seems even more recent because COVID's effect.

I looked up an original announcement of his move to verify the date, and it only mentioned pairs.
I haven't read the announcement recently... but if my memory serves me well, they were creating a new hub for pairs in Oakville... so of course the announcement would focus on that... especially since the expertise is there with results on the international stage. I remember he took a few skaters with him (i think Panetta, Farand to do pairs...) However, in reality, as their website says, is that Bruno also oversees the singles elite division... he is the top coach there from looking at their roster of coaches. As far as I remember, Bruno always coached both disciplines. His sister Julie, who has her school in Sainte-Julie (suburb of Montreal) is a former ice dancer herself. If I recall correctly, she won Junior Nationals before a knee injury ended her competitive career... she is more known as a pairs choreographer now. What Bruno mentions in the interview is that it is important that the kids are exposed to all the disciplines, and it is my impression that this is what he and Julie may have experienced, or was he referring to Meagan and Eric who did singles and pairs.. In any case, I would think that he would make sure that the talented kids in Skate Oakville get opportunities in a variety of settings.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also very impressed with Bruno, his positivity for the pairs discipline, and his approach to skaters to stay "outside their head":

You should not try to skate clean, you should just trust your training and be in the moment and not overthink.

My favorite quote from this article. That quality of being in the moment absolutely comes across in a performance; it links audience members with the skaters in an intuitive way. It's part of what I think allows skaters to Create a Moment.

Also interesting how he communicates with Riku and Ryuichi, and understands their body language. :)

That was a cool part too.