Can and will they come back? | Golden Skate

Can and will they come back?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i am inviting posters to share their opinions about skaters/teams who may be struggling, injured or semi retired to talk about will these skaters come back and be competitive.

1. Carolina Kostner - I still am not sure but she is progressing so we will see. But to be honest she is not bringing anything new or reinvigoration really. I mean spin doctors will say that but I haven't seen that yet. The short program may be an attempt and to be honest from another skater it would be marked as a bit of a disaster despite the attempt to be "artistic" with someting different.

2. Virtue and Moir - while they are not necessarily bringing something really new this team has brought a refinement and connection not seen by the other teams I was worried thejudges would not embrace them and gift the French but it appears they have a chance

3. Julia Lipnskaiya - I really want her to come back with a vengeance but mentally, physically and injury wise plus timing - so many good Russian skaters make this really hard. There is something charming about her but another time and another country who knows what could have been.

4. SK/K - I am not sure they will make a huge top 5 or medal break through but they will have a successful comeback if not for the factor the USA has no one else. Brutal but true - that's why a team with no competitoins under their belt for the last year is going to worlds and 4ccs without having to recently prove themselves.

5. Davis and White - I think we will know within a month after worlds. I don't know if they want it bad enough. I think in their case they have more to lose - better ending up on a high note. They are very popular at least on this site but if they do come back I really hope they can find their niche - they were just a real good dance team but not overly specially. Technically great, well polished and consistent whereas v and m would make errors leet alone the Russians. But they imho don't have the connection or real deep down passion of say even Navka and kostmorov, Bestmianova and Bukin, Krylova and Oksianikov, Klimova and Ponamoroenko, Anissina and Peizerot or V and M. Let them be - gold medallists.

6. Gracie Gold - in a year we will know. I do think she will try to reinvigorate herself. I think she needs to 'get out of the pool' and stop flailing. Find what she wants. The thing is she is the most talented skater in the world and has all the natural things favoring her - looks, athleticism, grace even the name and resources. She might be the one who does it at the olympics which with my bias would be a little unfortunate to those Michelle Kwan's who have shown great consistency but that is life.

7. Kavaguti and Smirnov - I feel so sorry for this team. Two major injuries and both ironically may have ended their olympic dreams. The Russian Fed never really seem to back this team and they got pushed down the Russian ranks. THey are aging and it makes it so hard to come back from such a serious injury as Kavaguti who is such a fighter but with age and this injury/surgery it seems like it might be too much - not to mention they are not the pets. Mind you a lot depends on S and K as well as V and T - will they compete next year and are they healthy.

8. Jeremy Abbott - wonderful skater but I think his time has passed. He needs a consistent quad and I doubt the American federation will back two pretty skaters (Jason Brown) with inconsistent or non existent quads.

9. Jason Brown - I just don't know if he will get the quad but I am not sure he is in the comeback category - he will be held up with his pcs but next year if Vincent Zhou and Adam Rippon compete well and Adam has the quad toe and or lutz and Jason doesn't I would say bye bye Jason. Well liked, popular, you had your chance, you had the backing time to give others the chance. You will always have your fans - but who knows he m ight get the quad and he is a gorgeous skater (I am not against him but I just think for exampleAdam too is an exquisite skater - though he might want to not dotoo campy programs - not sure if it is appreciated by judges.

10. ET - Liza so sad to see her just sort of dye on ice. She just isn't doing it technically or artistically and with the Russian battlegrounds the 2015 world champ seems a memory.

11. How could I forget Mao. I think she will give it a valiant try but she needs to address not relying on h er reputation, skating skills or the 3A I think she needs to look at her other jumps and in particular she needs a 3 3 in the short though I can see 3loop 3loop combo and 3 flip with the issues with her lutz givingg her a competitive program. She needs maybe some time off ice to heal. Retrain the 3A and get the 33 combo.

12. Coomes and Buckland - I think this team has huge potential in part because the secondary Russians are flailling and falling but they are not exactly a particularly outstanding or unique team. But being the British champs and not a lot of competition I expect they will be at the Olympics but not as a top 5 threat which at one point i thought might happen.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
"The short program may be an attempt and to be honest from another skater it would be marked as a bit of a disaster despite the attempt to be "artistic" with someting different."

How is Carolina Kostner short program a disaster? :confused: Maybe we just don't share similar taste as I love it.

Imagine

Medalist
I think Gracie can come back and challenge for the podium...I just don't know if she will, or even wants to. She has all the talent and ability in the world but is mentally weak as a competitor, to be brutally honest. If by comeback you mean make it to the Olympics and Worlds next year, I think, sure, it could happen. Ashley is really the only lock for the US team right now IMO. While I like Karen, Mariah, and Mirai, I don't consider them to be shoe-ins, so the door is still open. I don't know if Gracie will see things this way though, as she already seems to have given up. Right now, I think she has taken the right first step in separating with her overrated drama queen of a coach, and we will see if her competitive mindset improves for it.

As for the Russians, they can beat most of the rest of the field on a good day, but Yulia and Liza have seen few of those these past couple of seasons. With Yulia, there was some sort of mental slump following Sochi that she just couldn't get over. Then there was some hope last season by nationals with a coaching change, and she did have a promising start this year. Now she's struggling injuries and while I know she's been in a similar place before, the field has become way deeper. She can still be competitve internationally given the opportunity, but I don't see her making it back onto the Olympic/Worlds team next year, not realistically at least. Same with Liza. Even if she gets the 3A back, the other, younger girls have just surpassed her in every other aspect and are waiting in the wings for their moment. Just look at the field. Unless she has a meltdown of epic proportions, Evgenia can basically start looking into flights to Pyeongchang right now, and Anna is at like 70/30 right IMO. Elena is the most vulnerable I think, but somehow always grits out those jumps. Already she has lost her spot to Maria Sotskova this year, and in the Olympic season we will see Tsurskaya, Zagitova, and who knows who else. Yulia had a good run, becoming the star of Sochi and medalling second to Mao at Worlds at 15, and Liza had one of my favorite comeback moments with her Worlds win in 2015. My ideal team would have both of them on it but I think it's over. Any time they compete, I think they can be competitive, but if coming back means making it back to the biggest international stages of the sport, I say it's probably not happening. I hope they prove me wrong. I wish for it so badly. But anyway, the Olympics are not the end all be all. I just hope we get some good performances from them again.

Last I checked, Carolina was doing pretty well no? I mean, her SP music is truly horrific, but her actual skating wasn't too bad watching on mute. She just came back, and is like the oldest girl in the field, so you have to give her some time to get back to peak competitive form. I don't know how competitive things are for her domestically, but she should be able to make Olympics/Worlds I assume. With the Russians and Japanese girls dominating however, I don't know how likely it will be for her to podium though...

Mao is the hardest to assess, as she has never been that consistent. I don't doubt that she can win everything at her best, but you can never tell when she'll be on. I hope she makes it to Pyeongchang and wins the gold, as it's been a long time coming for her and if anyone deserves it, it's her. However, skating is cruel and she might not even make the team with how competitive the Japanese ladies field is becoming (possibly more so than the Russians in quantity of contenders). I know it's a pipe dream, but I believe in miracles too. She has it in her, as we witnessed in Sochi, and I hope she can pull it out one last time.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carolina and Virtue/Moir have already come back rather successfully, especially the latter. I really hope Kavaguti and Smirnov retire for their own sakes. And I really, really hope Gracie and Coomes/Buckland can get back on their feet. Jason will be fine, Mao probably not so much.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Aside from Med, none of the other girls can say with confidence they can beat Carolina. That is a successful comeback.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Typical Canadian shade on Davis and White. Let it go.

skaterboy is often "throwing shade" at Canadian skaters so i wouldn't call it "canadian shade" it's his opinion.... and it's not related to other Canadians as far as I know.

Violetti

On the Ice
i am inviting posters to share their opinions about skaters/teams who may be struggling, injured or semi retired to talk about will these skaters come back and be competitive.

1. Carolina Kostner -

Her comeback was a very good one. I liked the short. Remembering how inconsistent she used to be this comeback was brilliant. I am happy she is back.

2. Virtue and Moir -
Nice to see them again.

3. Julia Lipnskaiya -

I do not believe she will make the team. Still possible. What should she do with her skills?

5. Davis and White -
I liked them but I think it's enough to have Virtue/Moir back.

6. Gracie Gold -
It is sad how deeply she blames herself. I do not know if she can come back strong. If she could win her inner issues... I hope she will do that.

7. Kavaguti and Smirnov -
For me they were the best team. But they are aging. Too hard to come back in Russia.

8. Jeremy Abbott
Oh, I thought he already retired. I do not miss him.

9. Jason Brown -
I like him. He will be great in shows in the future.

10. ET - Liza
I loved her most of the talented Russian girls. Sad to admit that it might be too hard for her to come back to Championships.

11. How could I forget Mao.
Will she make it in Japan? Hard to say.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I would say with quite a bit of confidence that Davis/White nor Jeremy Abbott will be back. I don't think that Davis/White even want to come back and I think Jeremy might be satisfied with what he's doing now too. I think he would have to settle for being runner-up to Nathan (if even that) if he were to compete on the eligible scene again.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Davis/White No.
Abbott: Don't count him out, he's training two quads and is looking better now than ever. If Adam and Jason can make it on the US circuit etc, Jeremy definitely can.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
I would be very surprised if Gracie did not continue to compete. I don't know how much satisfaction she gets out of the actual skating but it's clear that she and her sister have come to enjoy the minor celebrity status her skating has given her. If she stops skating now, her celebrity is likely to fade away quickly.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
8. Jeremy Abbott - wonderful skater but I think his time has passed. He needs a consistent quad and I doubt the American federation will back two pretty skaters (Jason Brown) with inconsistent or non existent quads.

Sure tough for him to come back, but a consistent quad is rare for most US guys. My wish is that he gives it a last try. I want to see him compete again, even if only in autumn competitions and at US nationals 2018. I have no idea how he trains and what his goal would be. Perhaps another Olympics :)

8. Jeremy Abbott
Oh, I thought he already retired. I do not miss him.

I do :biggrin:

Davis/White No.
Abbott: Don't count him out, he's training two quads and is looking better now than ever. If Adam and Jason can make it on the US circuit etc, Jeremy definitely can.

Really??... so he's healthy and no body issues then?

noskates

Record Breaker
I was very unimpressed with Kostner. I didn't feel she had progressed at all since the last time she competed. The women's competition has moved on.

White and Davis - I would be very, very surprised.

Abbott - not sure what else he has going for him but he can't seem to accept his time might be up. He was never a good competitor on any kind of consistent basis and I don't expect age to have helped him out there.

Lip - so sad to see her falter. Of all the Russian girls she was always my most favorite and her Schindler's List should go down as a classic. She put so much heart and soul into her skating and then all of a sudden it was gone.

K and S have never realized their full potential and I think they are such an elegant team with interesting lifts and choreography. Somehow the spark just isn't there anymore - maybe due to injury maybe due to age. I don't expect them to be contributory in the future.

It's probably prejudice but I dont' think anyone should ever count Jason Brown out. He's a very good competitor and generally brings it to the big competitions. His injuries have held him back the last couple of years but I have high hopes for the coming season.

Virtue and Moir - not throwing shade. Just wish they had stayed retired and rested on their laurels. It really is time for a new generation. Will say the same thing about Mao Asada although some of her programs are my all-time favorites.

Gracie Gold - I think the jury is out at this point in time. A new coach! A new perspective! Please God a new choreographer! She has all the talent in the world and if she skated clean I truly believe she would give Med a run...........but there are a lot of "what ifs" and "buts!" It would really be a shame for her to just fade into the past and be a footnote in figure skating.

My question mark is Adam Rippon. I've always, always loved him but his inconsistency might do him in.

The whole world is looking at Nathan Chan as the man to beat Hanyu, etc. I think if he can skate like he did at Nationals the skys the limit. Hopefully pressure and too many quads doesn't do him in mind and body.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel very sad about Kavaguti and Smirnov. I saw them compete at Skate Canada, and they placed 5th out of 7. It was still early on in the season, so I thought it would be best to give them some time. Then at Cup of China they were 6th out of 8. I just think that ruptured tendon injury was such a tough one to have to recover from. Yuka is SUCH an inspiration, but I think it isn't going to happen at this point. Yuka looks so thin and really looked unwell to me.

Fell in love with them at Skate America 2014 where they won gold, so still hold out a kernel of hope! They have been together since 2006, so hate to think of them just kind of fading out. :sad4:

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was very unimpressed with Kostner. I didn't feel she had progressed at all since the last time she competed. The women's competition has moved on.

Abbott - not sure what else he has going for him but he can't seem to accept his time might be up. He was never a good competitor on any kind of consistent basis and I don't expect age to have helped him out there.

Lip - so sad to see her falter. Of all the Russian girls she was always my most favorite and her Schindler's List should go down as a classic. She put so much heart and soul into her skating and then all of a sudden it was gone.

K and S have never realized their full potential and I think they are such an elegant team with interesting lifts and choreography. Somehow the spark just isn't there anymore - maybe due to injury maybe due to age. I don't expect them to be contributory in the future.

It's probably prejudice but I dont' think anyone should ever count Jason Brown out. He's a very good competitor and generally brings it to the big competitions. His injuries have held him back the last couple of years but I have high hopes for the coming season.

Virtue and Moir - not throwing shade. Just wish they had stayed retired and rested on their laurels. It really is time for a new generation. Will say the same thing about Mao Asada although some of her programs are my all-time favorites.

Gracie Gold - I think the jury is out at this point in time. A new coach! A new perspective! Please God a new choreographer! She has all the talent in the world and if she skated clean I truly believe she would give Med a run...........but there are a lot of "what ifs" and "buts!" It would really be a shame for her to just fade into the past and be a footnote in figure skating.

My question mark is Adam Rippon. I've always, always loved him but his inconsistency might do him in.

The whole world is looking at Nathan Chan as the man to beat Hanyu, etc. I think if he can skate like he did at Nationals the skys the limit. Hopefully pressure and too many quads doesn't do him in mind and body.

I agree with much about what you say. I am kind of mixed but generally it is time to move on so Kostner, V and M, K and S, D and W and Abbott while the one side says it is up to the skater to decide it is nice to see new skaters shine and take the podium. The same can be said about Savchenko and her partners. One side it is amazing her guts, determination and will power and on the other hand it is time to hand over the reigns. I sort of felt that about some of the past Chinese teams which seemed to stay around and Plushy regardless if they won a medal. But what is old is new again it appears. Sounds like some ice princesses who never reached their potential as singles skaters are coming back in pairs. Could Caroline Zhang be far behind? She and grant would be cool together. I liked Buttle and Mao. I like Javier's personality but I felt he was awkward with Ando. As for people suggesting I am throwing shade, trust me I am not trying too. I couldn't throw a feather.

I could add Kevin Reynolds to the list. I just don't know after all these years if he is ever going to get the speed, artistry and pcs. And his "presentation" really is just imho unpleasant. I find the hair and costumes too much. I am not sure if that is hair style when he is off ice but it is too much. It really does look like his hair lost the battle with a Cuisineart and it is distracting.

TGee

Record Breaker
Alexa Scimeca-Knieram / Chris Knieram -- U.S. pair

The USFSA has put great deal on this comeback, as 2015 national champions, 2016 4CC silver medallists and only US team in the top 12 at Worlds 2016.

Their placements....in the second slot for Worlds, and 3rd for 4CC seem fair given how they closed out last season, but to make their season debut at 4CC seems very risky.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Oh wow, I so agree Nathan Chan (slip up intended would be the man to beat Hanyu. A combination of Nathan's jumping prowess with Chan's maturity, musicality, skating skills and presentation would be masterful artistry on ice. Can we combine these two Asian men to create the perfect skaterr????