Carol Lane commentating on the Rostelecom | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Carol Lane commentating on the Rostelecom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
That's a very sensible way of putting it, perhaps she should have said something along these lines instead of laughing (which I enjoyed, I'm not gonna lie).

Barb

Record Breaker
Just as I was commenting on instagram (a few users bellow Piper Gilles herself), I found Carol Lane's very entertaining. In fact, just as amusing as TAT's rants on Russian media, that's why I find they should carry the same weight (i.e. a laughable joke). Yes, she does raise some valid points about home turf inflation as we've been doing in this forum for years, BUT she's not a mere user but a coach speaking on national television. To state her opinions as facts is highly unprofessional. And since we've yet to hear a Canadian commentator say "Well, it's Canada" when local skaters are benefited from generous judging, I find it hypocritical.

Do you know what would be entertaining? Tatiana T. doing the same funny joke in Skate Canada this week.

beki

Medalist
Well I did learn something from that snippet—it was helpful to me when she pointed out that B/S lost speed coming out of the lift. I'll take forceful opinions if they come with technical insights. But there clearly isn't a large enough pool of commentators when we have coaches commentating on their own students. The same is true of Chris Howarth with Shoma Uno. I don't think it should be allowed. At least sit the competition out if your skater is participating.

While there are other teams I would put on World and Olympic podiums over B/S, I often see them criticized more harshly than I understand. They executed gorgeous twizzles in their FD, and communicated a story really clearly. The lift where she's upside down is a knockout. And they seem like very nice people. She was such a good leader at WTT.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Do you know what would be entertaining? Tatiana T. doing the same funny joke in Skate Canada this week.

She never says it this way. She often hints at 'home advantage', including Rostelecom cup this year, but never this way.

Let's wait for Skate Canada. We can start our annual 'Well, it's Canada' flashmob when it's finished :biggrin:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
She never says it this way. She often hints at 'home advantage', including Rostelecom cup this year, but never this way.

Let's wait for Skate Canada. We can start our annual 'Well, it's Canada' flashmob when it's finished :biggrin:

yup... we know it's coming ;) same thing every year... :devil: Canadians ;)

Barb

Record Breaker

by the way, I remember last season there was a thread saying that they fired to Tatiana, I thought that she would not be commenting anymore.

Snow63

Record Breaker
by the way, I remember last season there was a thread saying that they fired to Tatiana, I thought that she would not be commenting anymore.

Nope, false news. She's as strong and solid as ever. Most people, me included, love her comments. She gives so many inside info, whatever anyone say. Annoying sometimes, and I often disagree with her, but she knows them all. All the officials and coaches, and many skaters. I hope she'll continue.

mrrice

Record Breaker
What exactly is she trying to say when she says....."It's Russia" Especially when it comes to dance! She has heard of the Bolshoi Ballet hasn't she? Russia has a long and storied history when it comes to ballet and dance in general. I remember learning a Russian Folk Dance when we were in St Petersburg....I couldn't walk for a week..:drama:

Have a look at this Dance and you'll understand what I mean.......This is why their dancers were all so thin. I felt as big as a house when I walked into the studio. I entered Russia at 195lbs and left at 165 and I was still the biggest dancer. :agree:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OANzLIuxhNo

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well I did learn something from that snippet—it was helpful to me when she pointed out that B/S lost speed coming out of the lift. I'll take forceful opinions if they come with technical insights. But there clearly isn't a large enough pool of commentators when we have coaches commentating on their own students. The same is true of Chris Howarth with Shoma Uno. I don't think it should be allowed. At least sit the competition out if your skater is participating.

While there are other teams I would put on World and Olympic podiums over B/S, I often see them criticized more harshly than I understand. They executed gorgeous twizzles in their FD, and communicated a story really clearly. The lift where she's upside down is a knockout. And they seem like very nice people. She was such a good leader at WTT.

are you saying that Tracy Wilson should no longer comment because she has many top students?

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Home advantage is a well-known fact, but Carol put it in a way that the problem is only in Russia itself.

well... before anything gets perceived, it has to be said ;) i have never heard Irina say these words... let alone in English...

I can't find the original quote, but she said it again in an interview in 2012. Out of context, it may actually sound passive-aggressive, but the point was that you shouldn't attribute your faults to someone's bad intentions.

During her decade of coaching in the US, TAT made a lot of good friends among skaters and coaches from all over the world. She's very open-minded and very sympathizing with all skaters... With the exception of the top Russian men who often disappoint her.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
ETA: Re: Irina/Sarah in 2002 - home ice excitement played a role in Michelle winning the SP over Irina, but the final result was much more a freak accident of numbers caused by the ordinal system and the skate order and the placements of the top 4 across both programs than intentional home-cooking. It is incredibly confusing and complicated to figure out just how that happened that caused the numbers to shake out the way they did.

Hughes also had the skate of her life. And given the scandal at SLC with ice dance judging, her winning actually restored a good deal of faith in the judging system at least for the American audience.

ETA: And it wasn't necessarily that she was American. It was more that for casual viewers she was essentially unknown, with no pre-event hype, so her winning seemed less tainted by potential judging shenanigans. Who was going to "cheat" for unknown, unheralded Sarah Hughes?

Of course one could also point out that it may have been more a matter of Irina and Michelle losing than Sarah winning. Just saying.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Why just Sochi? Do you think Sarah Hughes in Salt Lake City and Evan Lysacek in Vancouver had their well-deserved victories?

Hughes in Salt Lake City was after sp way too high and rightfully should not have won the gold. Lysacek on the other hand is not Canadian or do you think that USA and Canada are the same country?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Isn't TAT known for being equally scandalous when discussing Russians? I feel like everyone is fair game with her :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I can't find the original quote, but she said it again in an interview in 2012. Out of context, it may actually sound passive-aggressive, but the point was that you shouldn't attribute your faults to someone's bad intentions.

thanks but my Russian is way too poor for me to understand this ;) but I did enjoy seeing yagudin in all his splendour! :love:

mrrice

Record Breaker
are you saying that Tracy Wilson should no longer comment because she has many top students?

:scratch3: I don't get that either. I'd rather listen to someone who knows what they're talking about. This is why I hope Patrick Chan ends up commentating. I'd love to see a split screen of two skaters and hear Patrick explain the difference between deep and shallow edges, or a true outside edge take off next to a flutz. Posture and Carriage are such a pet peeve of mine and I think it would be interesting to show skaters that have good posture, port de bras, and clean dance lines. There are so many skaters today that literally fling their arms into the air looking for points and it drives me nuts....

Snow63

Record Breaker
Isn't TAT known for being equally scandalous when discussing Russians? I feel like everyone is fair game with her :laugh:

Exactly, and that's another thing I like about her. She has no natiolistic bias, like, at all. She treats american skaters, canadians, skaters from japan and russian skaters equally.

pearly

Record Breaker
Just as I was commenting on instagram (a few users bellow Piper Gilles herself), I found Carol Lane's very entertaining. In fact, just as amusing as TAT's rants on Russian media, that's why I find they should carry the same weight (i.e. a laughable joke). Yes, she does raise some valid points about home turf inflation as we've been doing in this forum for years, BUT she's not a mere user but a coach speaking on national television. To state her opinions as facts is highly unprofessional. And since we've yet to hear a Canadian commentator say "Well, it's Canada" when local skaters are benefited from generous judging, I find it hypocritical.

What was Piper's comment? I think it may have been deleted, but there's a lot of criticism still there.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Home advantage is a well-known fact, but Carol put it in a way that the problem is only in Russia itself.

During her decade of coaching in the US, TAT made a lot of good friends among skaters and coaches from all over the world. She's very open-minded and very sympathizing with all skaters... With the exception of the top Russian men who often disappoint her.

I think Tat has higher expectations for the Russian Men because when she was coaching Yags, they were dominating the sport. Especially at Europeans. Plushy and Yags used to finish 1,2, and I don't think Alexander Abt ever finished out of the top 8.

madison

Record Breaker
I think Tat has higher expectations for the Russian because when she was coaching Yags, they were dominating the sport. Especially at Europeans. Plushy and Yags used to finish 1,2, and I don't think Alexander Abt ever finished out of the top 8.

Doesn't she like Kolyada, Aliev, Samarin?:biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.