Carol Lane commentating on the Rostelecom | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Carol Lane commentating on the Rostelecom

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It has to be deeply disappointing when your top male skater falls on his first two jumps....

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
It has to be deeply disappointing when your top male skater falls on his first two jumps....

I think the bigger problem is that he himself was not disappointed, but thought he did a satisfactory job. A true champion like Plushy, Hanyu, or Evgenia would never be satisfied if they skated like that.

qwertyskates

Medalist

I never believed for a moment that Patrick didn't deserve his PCS or his medals when he fell 3 or 4 times in a competition, or Hanyu didn't deserve his Olympic Gold medal for falling twice in FS. So if falls are an issue then the same criticisms should apply to all the other top skaters who fall.

Carol Lane is making Canada look ridiculous by being so unprofessional - all Feds do this, it's quite obvious. I expect no less at SC this Friday.:cool:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Is there any English version of that article??

I can translate about Kolyada:

Q: Mikhail Kolyada who finished 3rd said after the event that he was happy with his energy on the ice. But on the other side he fell from couple of jumps. What do you think is the reason of that?

A: Apparently, his energy went the wrong way then. We see the same outcome over and over several competitions already. It's time for the athlete to understand what is bothering him. He should not to lie to himself. And he needs to honestly answer the question: what are you happy with? Are you happy with the fact that you tried to learn two basic elements of the program and did not finish to learn them? Or are you happy with the fact that your the rivals are ahead of you on the full lap already?

madison

Record Breaker

Q: Mikhail Kolyada who finished 3rd said after the event that he was happy with his energy on the ice. But on the other side he fell from couple of jumps. What do you think is the reason of that?

A: Apparently, his energy went the wrong way then. We see the same outcome over and over several competitions already. It's time for the athlete to understand what is bothering him. He should not to lie to himself. And he needs to honestly answer the question: what are you happy with? Are you happy with the fact that you tried to learn two basic elements of the program and did not finish to learn them? Or are you happy with the fact that your the rivals are ahead of you on the full lap already?

lol... epic from TAT:biggrin:

After her Olympics, Irina Slutskaya didn't say "well, it's America". Instead, she said "we must be miles ahead of everyone else, so that no one would even think of questioning our victory."

In other words, we must be Evgenia Nedvedeva. ;)

ETA: Re: Irina/Sarah in 2002 - home ice excitement played a role in Michelle winning the SP over Irina, but the final result was much more a freak accident of numbers caused by the ordinal system and the skate order and the placements of the top 4 across both programs Oh no, than intentional home-cooking. It is incredibly confusing and complicated to figure out just how that happened that caused the numbers to shake out the way they did.

Oh no, determining the winner was simplicity itself. Hughes got 4th in the SP and 1st in the LP. This gave her a factored placement score (the SP is factored by half) of 3.

Slutskaya got 2nd in the SP and 2nd in the LP. She also had a factored placement of 3. Tie goes to the LP winner.

This was not a freak accident of numbers, it had nothing to do with skate order or with the placements of other skaters. Michelle, with a 1st and a 3rd had 3.5 factored placement points and took the bronze.

mrrice

Record Breaker

You know what....I love that!! These skaters need to hear the truth! There's no point in sugar coating anything, especially during the Olympic Season.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I never believed for a moment that Patrick didn't deserve his PCS or his medals when he fell 3 or 4 times in a competition, or Hanyu didn't deserve his Olympic Gold medal for falling twice in FS. So if falls are an issue then the same criticisms should apply to all the other top skaters who fall.

Carol Lane is making Canada look ridiculous by being so unprofessional - all Feds do this, it's quite obvious. I expect no less at SC this Friday.:cool:

She's not only talking about the falls. She's talking about the athlete being complacent and not demanding more of himself. And the scores Kolyada got were shameful - now he will think that's what he deserves for a performance like that. Compare to Soloviev, S/K and Evgenia who were very critical of their own performances. That's what you expect from a top skater. How is Mikhail a top skater when this is only his 2nd international medal of any value and he was helped out big time by homecooking?

But yes - this is not just a Russian problem and hypocrisy is a terrible thing.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Precisely my point. Ms Lane needs to understand that you need to win an OG ala Trankov or be the coach of several OG medalists to make her rather tactless comments. But truthfully she's somewhat annoying, she needs to add a bit more wit and sass and not be so obvious about it.

With respect to Dmitry, this is all deflection on his part because truthfully many thought S/B were not far removed from their levels and quite frankly I don't find their material Olympic this season. More importantly his comments come across as rather shallow when Bobrova commented in Helsinki that their relatively low scores for their SD was due to their experts not lobbying hard enough for them. So in hindsight, he might do better to simply not draw much attention to an already open secret and work on their programs. Rant over.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Precisely my point. Ms Lane needs to understand that you need to win an OG ala Trankov or be the coach of several OG medalists to make her rather tactless comments. But truthfully she's somewhat annoying, she needs to add a bit more wit and sass and not be so obvious about it.

With respect to Dmitry, this is all deflection on his part because truthfully many thought S/B were not far removed from their levels and quite frankly I don't find their material Olympic this season. More importantly his comments come across as rather shallow when Bobrova commented in Helsinki that their relatively low scores for their SD was due to their experts not lobbying hard enough for them. So in hindsight, he might do better to simply not draw much attention to an already open secret and work on their programs. Rant over.

omg.....well if the skaters themselves say it out loud... :scard7:

madison

Record Breaker
And about Samarin - I think he was- she said once, very, very disappointed: he's not an artist..... :laugh2:

tjb

Match Penalty
i just hope that russian commentators will never go down to this level

qwertyskates

Medalist
She's not only talking about the falls. She's talking about the athlete being complacent and not demanding more of himself. And the scores Kolyada got were shameful - now he will think that's what he deserves for a performance like that. Compare to Soloviev and Evgenia who were very critical of their own performances. That's what you expect from a top skater. How is Mikhail a top skater when this is only his 2nd international medal of any value and he was helped out big time by homecooking?

But yes - this is not just a Russian problem and hypocrisy is a terrible thing.

What? Kolyada has been around since forever on the international circuit, he has won six senior international medals since 2012, including two on the ISU Challenger Series. 4th in the Worlds 15-16. And at least 3 Grand Prix now, he is 22, has been around as long as Kevin Reynolds, and was out due to injuries just like Reynolds. He is no laggard, his skate (though the program was not to my taste) was dynamic, difficult, full of transitions, great flow, ice coverage, great spins, great edges, rhythm, etc. His PCS is still nowhere near the top and rightfully should be ahead of Nathan since he is very much a veteran skater. He was a consummate performer and never let up. His jump technique is really good, height, rotation, so he makes mistakes and fell, which top skaters didn't? Hanyu fell twice in his FS to win Olympic Gold, so nobody complained? In other words, it's only because "it's Russia".

madison

Record Breaker
What? Kolyada has been around since forever on the international circuit, he has won six senior international medals since 2012, including two on the ISU Challenger Series. And at least 3 Grand Prix now, he is 22, has been around as long as Kevin Reynolds, and was out due to injuries just like Reynolds. He is no laggard, his skate (though the program was not to my taste) was dynamic, difficult, full of transitions, great flow, ice coverage, great spins, great edges, rhythm, etc. His PCS is still nowhere near the top and rightfully should be ahead of Nathan since he is very much a veteran skater. He was a consummate performer and never let up. His jump technique is really good, height, rotation, so he makes mistakes and fell, which top skaters didn't? Hanyu fell twice in his FS to win Olympic Gold, so nobody complained? In other words, it's only because "it's Russia".

No, what people are saying and I have to agree although I like Kolyada very much- is that he said after his performance that he's happy with it. This isn't a winner mentality.

Marta25

Medalist
Rather than complaining about the Russians, they should start analyze what is wrong with their programs, especially the FD. It`s not just that Stepanova/Bukin beat them, but Guignard/Fabbri were very close to do the same and only lost the FD to Gilles/Poirier because the Canadians had a higher base value. The Italians actually had higher GOE and PCS.
Btw, at last year`s Skate Canada Stepanova/Bukin and Cappellini/Lanotte were both ranked behind Gilles/Poirier and I can`t remember them making such a fuss about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.